Author Topic: This is why I panicked  (Read 9153 times)

Stan

This is why I panicked
« on: December 27, 2010, 09:54:43 PM »
OK, so a year or so ago (before I tore my roof off my house) I replaced the big end (connecting rod) bushings on Penelope, my 1949 Dursley 6-1 Lister.  When I had the connecting rod out, I measured the nip properly and it was within specs.  I plastigauged it when I put it back on the crankshaft and it was within specs.

These are Indian replacement bushings.  When it was all together and coated with engine re-assembly grease, I "spun her up"  grunt, groan, sweat!  Since it was so hard to turn the flywheels, I actually turned the big end so I could see it and saw this!!!!!!! (cue the norman bates music).

I then plugged up the hole, and abandonded her until now. (don't worry, nice clean dry garage)

So, my question for all you experts out there is "Whats up doc?"
Stan

Take note of the fine, almost tinsel like shavings in the lower left portion of the crank opening, coming from the bushing!  EEEEEEEK

billswan

• View Profile
Re: This is why I panicked
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:15:12 PM »
Well

All I can say is shit happens. So take it back apart and snap some pix of the problem area and post them.

Did you accidentally put a nick in the crank pin?

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 10:57:01 PM »
Almost looks like the bearing was a thou or two too wide for the journal. Would have tightened down fine but made fine shavings on rotation ?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:10:55 PM by contaucreek »
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Stan

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 11:19:21 PM »
Nope, no nick Bill, I was very careful about that.  I guess I'll have to take it apart and try again?  What can I do different though?
Stan

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 12:28:42 AM »
I did that on my metro 12/2. turns out I reversed the rod cap when assembling. hopefully it will be true in your case as well. easy fix :)
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 01:35:44 AM »
Stan,

It looks like the excess bearing material was shaved off by the end face of the journal.
There may be nothing wrong with your setup.
A close inspection will confirm this.
Good luck

BTW, if you have had enough of this stuff......I'm only a few hours away.
I would be happy to relieve you of this torture and move that bad engine to another province  ;D

veggiefuel
GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca

Stan

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 01:40:57 AM »
OK, next week when It warms up a little bit I'll take the rod cap off and see if it can be reversed.

Soory, Veggie, I'm not ready to give up yet!  Nice try though  ;D

Hopefully its just that there's some extra material on the bushing and wearing away naturally.  Don't want shavings of that stuff to get in the oil though.
Stan

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 01:58:02 AM »
Hi Stan, all the Dursley Listers that I have seen have a number punched into the con rod and cap. You have a 7, from what I can see, so the end cap should also have a 7 that lines up with it. It could be too wide, as already suggested, so file the side of the bearing to give clearance.

Stan

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 03:06:24 AM »
Tnx for the advice.   I haven't a lot of confidence in the Indian bushings, so I'll yank the cap and see what gives when it gets a little warmer.
Stan

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 04:03:39 AM »
Well

After reading the other responses, I did dredge up an old memory of a 2 cylinder JD model 60 standard tractor a collector brought to me.

He had bought it and someone had been working on it and to make a long story short I found that the rod caps were on if I remember right a 1/2 turn off.

Bottleveg mentioned it in his post. Well you would think it would have ruined the rod and crank but low and behold it cleaned up and ran fine. Just got the caps back so they fit the journal and all was fine.

Now Stan do you have any side to side clearance? A experienced mechanic will be able to feel the movement of the rod on a well oiled journal and be able to tell if all is well. You need something like maybe .005 to .010 thousandths of an inch. That's a guess please don't hold me to that range. But if your side clearance was in that range I would think all would be fine.

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

Stan

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 03:33:55 PM »
I'm going to check that today Bill, tnx.
Stan

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 08:31:07 PM »
Hi Stan,

Have you considered pulling them out to make sure they're installed correctly?  Then just filing them down as needed?  These units are popular in third world countries for a reason.  Too lose?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 11:05:49 PM »
The number on the rod and that on the cap should appear side by side like identical twins as they should have been stamped only on a properly match machined and torqued assembly. Flipping the cap half a turn will almost always result in a misalignment. Also check that the slinger rod which also locates the bearing shells, is not forcing the bottom shell off to one side or pushing in too far.

If you checked nip and clearance with the wrong assembly you should recheck it. Also important to also check clearance about 1/2" from the part lines at the sides as well as top and bottom. I have had to scrape to get enough lateral clearance despite it being OK the other way
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

Stan

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 04:13:25 PM »
Tnx Tijean, I'm going to set aside some time today to pull them.

Aloha Casey, going to do just that.  How's things on the big Island?
Stan

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 06:12:25 PM »
Hi Stan,

You know I was kinda serious about the filing thing.  But then you didn't go for my "braze the beast" approach to Madame P.s flange problem either.  ???

Not to digress too far, Mr. Woody, see avatar, is on the carport here at Camp Aloha.  Unfortunately I'm getting my butt reamed every few weeks by the county electrical inspector on the solar project rather than getting him fitted in.  Owner builder electricians are not appreciated in Hawaii.  Especially when they don't know a torque wrench from a bonding screw about code.  I'm going to spend most of 2011 strapped to a chair while my ass grows back.

I hope Madam P. is feeling better soon.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245