Author Topic: 8/1 lister setup ?s  (Read 13237 times)

wagspe208

• View Profile
8/1 lister setup ?s
« on: December 24, 2010, 03:25:41 AM »
OK, the 8 is the winter project. Well, the couple of week project. I have an 8/1 CS. It runs. Seems to be in good condition. 
1) How many use an oil filter on these engines? Link to the kit?
2) Fuel filter? Is it necessary? What are you guys using? I have a Caterpillar fuel filter head. It has TONS of capacity. Will this work as a flow through filter? Meaning enough suction from the injector pump to pull through it. I will mount the tank higher than pump obviously.
3) I have a donnelson air filter. Also tons big enough for the application.
4) Exhaust... well, seems simple enough. Do you guys step up on pipe size if running for over a couple of feet?
5) Cooling.... well, I have a 12v pump and could run that off an alt into a radiator if needed. I also was thinking of the thermo siphon method. Easier, simpler. Is it totally effective for an 8/1 putting out 4 kw ish? I want to start it, run it, come back 8 hours later and fuel it.
6) Hour meter. Is anyone using one? If so, what? Link? I'd like to actually monitor hours. Not just guess ish.

Thanks
Wags
Novo Type "S" 4hp
Lister 8/1
Engine machinist for 20+ years. Glad to help anyone out.

billswan

• View Profile
Re: 8/1 lister setup ?s
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 04:08:19 AM »
OK, the 8 is the winter project. Well, the couple of week project. I have an 8/1 CS. It runs. Seems to be in good condition. 
1) How many use an oil filter on these engines? Link to the kit?
2) Fuel filter? Is it necessary? What are you guys using? I have a Caterpillar fuel filter head. It has TONS of capacity. Will this work as a flow through filter? Meaning enough suction from the injector pump to pull through it. I will mount the tank higher than pump obviously.
3) I have a donnelson air filter. Also tons big enough for the application.
4) Exhaust... well, seems simple enough. Do you guys step up on pipe size if running for over a couple of feet?
5) Cooling.... well, I have a 12v pump and could run that off an alt into a radiator if needed. I also was thinking of the thermo siphon method. Easier, simpler. Is it totally effective for an 8/1 putting out 4 kw ish? I want to start it, run it, come back 8 hours later and fuel it.
6) Hour meter. Is anyone using one? If so, what? Link? I'd like to actually monitor hours. Not just guess ish.

Thanks
Wags

Well I use an oil filter http://www.generatorsales.com/order/Pipe_Set_for_Oil_Filter.asp?page=Pipe_Set_for_Oil_Filter This is it.

Fuel filter you bet Your cat will be just fine if you don't have an original.

Air filter yes lots of ways to go there. Your large donnelson might be great if it quiets the intake noise mine doesn't.

Exhaust well if a couple is 2 then 2 inch us fine now if couple is 10 + feet then maybe add some diameter.

Cooling well my system is elaborate so as to harvest heat. If you want simple and don't mind the steam thermo siphon Into an open top barrel is the easiest. And I believe would be just fine of course you will need to add water as some boils away.I use a 110 volt grundfos pump to circulate with thermostat.

Hour meter yes why not. Check ebay.

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

wagspe208

• View Profile
Re: 8/1 lister setup ?s
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 04:27:31 AM »
AH. I had seen those filter setups. I wondered if they were bolt on?

Air filter... the donnelson is fine for small industrial engines  1.3L fords 25hp ish, so should be fine. I don't know about noise reduction. It may actually.

Fuel filter... hmm.. now I have to look and see if the original is there. If yes, is it adequit? If so, I may scrounge up an original and put it back on.

Cooling...I'd like to harvest the heat in winter to keep a small shop warm. 30 x 30. Just so the lp furnace does not run. I actually have a heater out of a school bus. So, radiator, fan/ blower, 12v water pump. This would only be ok for winter, though. Don't want to heat the shop in summer HA. So, I'd have to have an easy way to swap over.

Hour meter.. I assume you are using hour meters that register when making power. No way to hook up an hour meter on a diesel without generating a signal. So... hooked to gen output.??
Thanks
Wags
Novo Type "S" 4hp
Lister 8/1
Engine machinist for 20+ years. Glad to help anyone out.