Author Topic: A little introduction from a noob  (Read 6614 times)

Equine

• View Profile
A little introduction from a noob
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:03:12 PM »
Greetings everyone!

I thought I'd say hello, and introduce myself, being a new member and all :). So here are a few bits of information about me, and my "motivation" for being here.

I live in Hungary (that's in Central Europe), and by profession I'm an electrical engineer. I work at the Research Institute for Technical Physics and Material Sciences, of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. My work mostly involves plasma physics, semiconductor research and mid to high vacuum systems. Though my interests do span beyond my degree, I like to tinker, and to search for all sorts of interesting and maybe promising things in various fields of sciences. Since energy is a major concern for all of us, I always like to explore possibilities in regards of power generation at home. A couple years ago I bought some land, just outside the city, about 0.7 acres, and I have a small house on it (well it's a "work in progress"). I keep horses (so do my neighbors), and that means that I have access to plenty of manure, which means I can produce bio-gas. My idea is actually to mix bio-gas with bio-diesel (preferably from processing WVO), and introduce this mixture into a relatively efficient, and reliable, low maintenance (or easily maintained) engine and produce electricity. Also the waste heat (by running the coolant through a heat exchanger) would be used to produce hot water for the household. The Lister, having a relatively low RPM, simple construction,and water cooling, seems like a good candidate for such a project.

I'm on a very tight budget so this would be a "bit by bit" type of project, slowly building the required infrastructure. I also have a tendency to be very careful, and I try to take as much parameters into consideration before committing to anything, as possible.

By the way my house will have two A/C s to cool and heat it, both inverter types, with a COP>3.5 . Of course if temperatures drop below -15 degrees C outside, their efficiency will also drop. I also have a vertical axis wind turbine, not yet erected tho', but practically just waiting to be placed (I don't want to place it until I move into my new home).

Well that's about it for now. I have been reading posts in the forum for a week now, and I'll keep on digging for info, but eventually I'm sure I'll ask some silly questions :) . I have noticed that there are some people here who are from Europe! They could probably (having experience here in the EU) help me with logistics problems (shipment of these engines), if it would come to that.

I appreciate any input or advice of course!

Thank you!

Cheers,

Eq

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: A little introduction from a noob
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:08:24 PM »
Welcome to the group
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 10:26:10 PM »
Small world. I just resigned from a job doing research using plasma torches to refine metallurgical grade Si into PV grade Si. Welcome to the board.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 02:08:19 AM »
Welcome aboard equine

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

Equine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 11:05:48 AM »
Thank you!

Tom: Sounds interesting, we have some rather prominent ties with PV research, but it's not the main interest of my department. We mostly do R&D into MEMS (micro electromechanical systems), micro-fluidics, etc.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 11:05:03 PM »
Horse power = H.P.   I get it  ;D  Welcome from Canada !
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Oiler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 06:10:32 AM »
Welcome on board. I live a little north of you.....Denmark.
1962 CS 6/1 for cutting firewood.
Armstrong Siddley AS1 for sale.

1937 Lister D

1918 Lister L

Equine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 11:38:03 AM »
 ;D Thanks!

gegenkolben

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 07:39:36 AM »
Wellcome! I live a bit north of You, too. Been away from the forum a while, still looking for a Lister.

Arttu, Finland

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 05:15:16 PM »
Greetings Eq, I would say I live as close as the computer away. that is the great thing about this forum it brings the world closer together. You may have heard of an auction going to be carried out over this forum. Now it was set up for a savings  to people in the US for shipping but these engines will be open to everyone to purchase.
It will be a collection of two of my friends who wish to decrease their collection and I thought this would be a way to make it available to people in the US but they cam go anywhere. I would vouch for either of these two fellows as straight as an arrow. You will see more in the future. I have some photos of the engines I can send but it will have to be done through email.
Glad you are part of the forum and look forward to many post you may car to share. Mike DD BTW I am from Dodge City KS USA
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.