Author Topic: Wmo  (Read 207930 times)

Bottleveg

• View Profile
Re: Wmo
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2011, 08:05:36 PM »
Just a thought, but what if you got a Indian cylinder block with liner? That way it would be much cheaper to repair the cylinder when it wore beyond its limits.

Rom

Or have an old Dursley cylinder bored out and fit a captive liner.

I was quoted £200 to have my block lined.  :(

I thought that was a bit pricey to have done every 2000 hours of engine run time.

But when I start using the Lister FR I will soon see if the bore wear is normal with WMO or it was just a Lister CS problem.
I will still be expecting the rings to wear out at least. ;D

Spencer

I meant have a captive sleeve fitted, keep some spare sleeves and change them as needed.
It will be interesting to see what results you have from the FR1.

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2011, 08:14:56 PM »
Just a thought, but what if you got a Indian cylinder block with liner? That way it would be much cheaper to repair the cylinder when it wore beyond its limits.

Rom

I thought that was a bit pricey to have done every 2000 hours of engine run time.

But when I start using the Lister FR I will soon see if the bore wear is normal with WMO or it was just a Lister CS problem.

Spencer

I meant have a captive sleeve fitted, keep some spare sleeves and change them as needed.

I have tried to get a liner that's finished to size so as you say, then I can pull the old liner and fit the replacement, but I can not find any one who can supply such a liner.
The only liners I can find have to be fitted to the block and then machined to size.

Spencer   

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »

Rom

Spencer

I have tried to get a liner that's finished to size so as you say, then I can pull the old liner and fit the replacement, but I can not find any one who can supply such a liner.
The only liners I can find have to be fitted to the block and then machined to size.

Spencer   

I’m not sure where I read it but, Quote- “It used to be common practise and a Bedford liner was used”. I have an old style engine shop close to me, I’ll put the idea to them when I next call in.

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2011, 08:35:26 PM »
Bottleveg

That would be excellent  :)

Spencer

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2011, 12:51:03 AM »
Well my 10/1 is still thumping along. It is hard starting but I have an electric motor set up to crank it with if need be.

When I clean the injector and the precup if I pour about an ounce of oil into the cylinder it starts with the hand crank just like it used to.

Seems there is no rhyme or reason to burning waste oil seems when I look down the empty injector hole you just never know what you will see. Sometimes there is white ash and sometimes it is just black carbon. Sometimes heavy sometimes light deposits.

Have tried running some LP with the oil and at about 1/2 pound per hour I didn't see much improvement in carbon reduction.

Today I drilled out the jet so the rate is up slightly over a full pound per hour and at that rate my guess is it will help. But that is about 5.5 gallons per 24 hours and that would cost a significant chunk of money. I will check the precup in a few hours and see what it looks like.

The engine is going to hit 1600 hours sometime tonight and I believe 2000 is in reach as it doesn't seem to be getting much worse compression wise. Although the oil leaks are annoying. I am going to take a crack at sealing up a few now that I got my gib key puller back from a friend. The governor housing cover has a couple nasty leaks that need resealing.

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »
Well my 10/1 is still thumping along. It is hard starting but I have an electric motor set up to crank it with if need be.

When I clean the injector and the precup if I pour about an ounce of oil into the cylinder it starts with the hand crank just like it used to.

Seems there is no rhyme or reason to burning waste oil seems when I look down the empty injector hole you just never know what you will see. Sometimes there is white ash and sometimes it is just black carbon. Sometimes heavy sometimes light deposits.

Have tried running some LP with the oil and at about 1/2 pound per hour I didn't see much improvement in carbon reduction.

Today I drilled out the jet so the rate is up slightly over a full pound per hour and at that rate my guess is it will help. But that is about 5.5 gallons per 24 hours and that would cost a significant chunk of money. I will check the precup in a few hours and see what it looks like.

The engine is going to hit 1600 hours sometime tonight and I believe 2000 is in reach as it doesn't seem to be getting much worse compression wise. Although the oil leaks are annoying. I am going to take a crack at sealing up a few now that I got my gib key puller back from a friend. The governor housing cover has a couple nasty leaks that need resealing.

Billswan

Billswan
I am not sure I understand how making the injector hole larger is going to help and what it will improve ?
I am guessing you are thinking it might help to stop carbon forming on injector tip, if so I think loading the engine helps because the injector is spraying more fuel to hold the load and this larger volume helps to blast the injector clean.
That's just my theory any way.
Since I have increased the rug contain the injector tip is staying pretty clean.
Your spot on how variable burning WMO is, as in the Lister the deposits go between black and white, where as in the waste oil burner it is white unless there's a problem, so may be the Lister is not burning the WMO very well ?

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2011, 06:35:38 PM »
Spencer

I am guilty of a poor ability to get my thoughts across. When I mentioned drilling out the jet I meant the jet I am using to meter in some propane. It looks like if enough propane is run along with the oil it does help keep the precup and nozzle cleaner but the cost of the propane looks to be substantial. And of course the safety controls to protect the engine I do not have so I need to be near by.

One question It seems that for the first 700 hours +or- the 10/1 seemed to tolerate the wmo much better than now. I am sure it is the loss in compression that is the main problem. When I reassembled it I used no gaskets under the cylinder block so as to get maximum compression. The piston run very close to the head and if I were to use the normal valve clearances listed for a 10/1 .008 inch I believe piston valve interference would have been possible. I run wider valve clearances like those of a 6/1 the extra .010 makes for some margin of safety. Now for the question did you have better luck running WMO when your engine had fewer hours and better compression? Do you have the decompression change over valve on your Lister and do you use it. Of course my 10/1 has no valve just a plug in that spot.

Billswan

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2011, 07:12:23 PM »
Billswan

I had a compression valve but fitted a Indian plug in its place as I could unscrew it and clean the injector tip and blow out the carbon.

I then refitted the change over valve.
I started running in low compression as it did not seam to make any difference to burning WMO but the engine sounded nicer in low compression.
I now can remove the valve for daily cleaning as I have drilled the centre and can pull it out with a bolt and pry bar.
When I pull it apart again I am going to fit the Lister metal shims under barrel and get as must clearance between the piston and head as I can so when bits of carbon brake off it won't sound like it going to smash.
Then I will fit a Lister 8/1 plug to get the compression back up.
The Indian plug is made differently to the Lister 8/1 plug as it is made to set the compression half way where as the Lister 8/1 plug is made for the compression to be set with the bump clearance.
I am finding its burning better now than before but the oil supply does change a bit as some of the oil I think has already had some petrol dumped in it.

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2011, 02:29:30 AM »
Does not seem to be many posts in general but there is no posting in waste motor oils.
Am I the only person using it to generate electric ever day?
People say they are using it and then they go very quiet.
A lot people talk about generating there own power but 2 years on they are still talking about it.
If your using wmo as a main fuel every day in a generator lets hear about it. 
Cheers
Matthew

I bought my Listeroid with the intention of testing the WMO theory because there was not much on the internet about it. I did track down several people who have been running 75% or more WMO in diesel engines for over 25 years. I was prepared to rebuild the engine if it did hurt it, but so far, it hasn't even gotten broken in yet.

I have been running 100% WMO for several years. Well over 2,000 hours. the engine runs cleaner and with more power on WMO than on diesel fuel. I can turn an automobile alternator at 30 amps at 300 rpm on the engine before it starts to smoke. On WMO, I can run it up to 35 amps before it starts to smoke. Under normal full load it has only a slight bit of smoke visible on diesel. Absolutely no smoke on WMO.

As for that hilarious post about WMO damaging an engine, I suppose it would if you did not filter it or bring the PH down to neutral. That would ruin any engine. I find it pretty odd that anybody could be that ill informed about engines that they would do that though. I would classify that with the rest of the "INTERNET RUMORS".

I use a basic biodiesel processor to process the WMO with a Dieselcraft centrifuge filter that brings it down to 2 microns. I now have 2000+ hours on the original goldenrod 10 micron fuel filter. My fuel does not have a pump, it is gravity feed so if there was any obstruction, my engine would not run. I have no plans to change it till it starts to affect the running of the engine just to test it out.

The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2011, 04:50:49 AM »
Rbodell

Glad to see you back here. I did read what you wrote on adjusting the ph but I never tried it. I did wear out a 10/1 cylinder assembly in 1775 hours. It would have went farther but the camshaft broke and with all the wear in the cylinder I just set it aside. I felt the quality of the parts were quite poor and blamed some of the wear on that.

I now am running a 16/1 on wmo it is direct injected and it is a MUCH better engine quality wise with no sand or machine grit to clean out unlike the 10/1 I started with. Time will tell and I am considering doing what you did to adjust the ph.

Billswan

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2011, 05:40:57 AM »
Sir glad to have you here. If you have taken time to read you will see it has been quite a topic. I hope you will offer some more insight into this. I have invested quite a bit of time in getting a container of real Lister's shipped to the US with a VA SOM, CE and several CD engines. I am reluctant now using WMO in the VA since it is the same as brandnew. I plan to use WMO in the CE and CD engines but I do have a few spare parts if needed. Glad again you are here. Mike DD 
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2011, 12:27:37 PM »
Don't forget to check out this video.
Just some thing to think about when the snake oil sales man appears  telling you differently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbjQAA8F5rM

Cheers
Spencer

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2011, 12:30:07 PM »
 was just surfing the net for oil vaporising and came across this on a forum,I thought it might be of some interest.
Lots of forums with the topic of wmo, not any good reports so far.

09-17-2009, 10:23 PM
This story is in several threads already so I will try to shorten it. Dole, the Fruit Company tried mixing and burning waste Oil in their Diesel Generator Sets that run the Refer Units on Refrigerated Containers.

A white crusty residue started to plug up the Injectors on their Engines and the expense of repair got above the savings in burning the Waste Motor Oil.

Motor Oil has additives and such that are supposed to inhibit burning and are not in of themselve fuel; they can not be filtered out.

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2011, 03:37:49 PM »
Spencer I believe you have been told to play nice. You are the one who challenged someone with experience to come forward. It seems someone has. So let him talk. DD
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:54:12 PM by DRDEATH »

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2011, 04:15:26 PM »
It seems that Mr RBodell has has positive experience using WMO so there must be a solution. BTW snake oil salesman are trying to sell something. I failed to see on any of his post of him trying to sell anything. All of his information was for free. DD