Author Topic: No Oil Pump???  (Read 18684 times)

cowboy

• View Profile
No Oil Pump???
« on: November 27, 2010, 07:17:55 PM »
The Lovson 6/1 I bought a couple of weeks ago didn't have a manual from the factory.    Most of the on line stuff I'm finding from other brands seem to show an external oil pump that from the photos looks like it's below the fuel pump.    Or, is the drawing trying to show it is inside the crankcase?     I don't see one inside the crankcase either.    Is there no oil pump?    How does the top end get oil?    Do I need my eyes examined?    From my years of riding old Harley Panheads, I know that a bad oil pump is bad news,   let alone not having one!    The engine runs great, it's just making me nuts not being able to read up on it.

Tijean

• View Profile
Re: No Oil Pump???
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 08:32:28 PM »
Lovson has both the standard listeroid and the little giant on their website. The LG has the oil pump inside the crankcase.
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 08:59:02 PM »
If it's like my Metro listeroid, it is splash lubrication only.  1300 hours, and splash seems to be working fine.
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 09:36:29 PM »
Some of the Listeroids have tapered roller bearings for main bearings. These are the engines that might not be equipped with an oil pump.
You can set it up with an external oil pump. You have to get the Injector pump support housing and oil pump assembly, etc.
But you don't need it. If you want to filter the oil, make a wire screen pocket and mount it on the inside of the crank case door. The oil dipper throws a stripe of oil around the inside of the engine. some of it will fill into the pocket. If you put some towel material, or a cut up sock in there, it will filter the oil.
It's known as the Hotater Filter on this forum, he tried it first. He even weighed the crud washed from the filter and took pictures of it too. I was convinced, and made on for my engine.
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 12:58:35 AM »
Top end oiling is provided by ........ wait for it ....... YOU !!. the rocker arms, valves ect are given a squirt of oil about every eight or so hours along with the govenor & fuel rack linkages.  Often the rocker arms shaft will have a grease cup attached that is filled with grease & occasionally you will give it a turn injecting fresh grease to the shaft. most people just remove the cup & insert a zerk fitting into the hole, it is 1/8 inch npt, then shoot it with grease before starting.

Scott R
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 03:27:18 AM »
I have one of each. My first Vidhata had no pump....My Power Solutions does....I would go with the no pump knowing what I know now. KISS is a lot safer!
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA