Author Topic: OSL and Youtube  (Read 7333 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
OSL and Youtube
« on: November 19, 2010, 02:12:28 AM »
Our dear old friend Willie, banned from this site for trying to scam people with his listeroids and making unrealistic clains about how good there are has been at it again.....

Perhaps some of the senior members here would like to toss out a few comments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVT-dNWt3I8
I don't like people who scam, the 100,000 hour listeroid is a foolish myth and OSL roids are no worse or better than anyone elses, just a lot more expensive....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: OSL and Youtube
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 02:47:32 AM »
That's rbodell he used to post over at LEF. IIRC he runs that low speed on WMO too.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 03:04:11 AM »
OK....
He sure likes Willie, not many people do.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 12:43:46 PM »
Yes that is.....  Robert Bodell........http://rbodell.com/default.aspx   
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:45:53 PM by wrightkiller »

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 01:24:42 AM »
Two things

Didn't Willie say here that a Listeroid running was a sure fire way to attract the ladies?

Yeah, RBodell stopped posting her becasue he would only use a gmail account.. and was upset because his account got banned, and he was most miffed at me for banning gmail.... I just went through 60 pages of registerations... all spam, or at least 90%

Oh well
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 03:17:56 AM »
Two things

Didn't Willie say here that a Listeroid running was a sure fire way to attract the ladies?

Yeah, RBodell stopped posting her becasue he would only use a gmail account.. and was upset because his account got banned, and he was most miffed at me for banning gmail.... I just went through 60 pages of registerations... all spam, or at least 90%

Oh well

Your doing a fine job here IMO, Thanks. Moderating forums is thankless work most of the time.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 09:08:45 PM »
so at 300 rpm, what sort of splash oiling is going on ?

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 02:40:40 AM »
OK!  I'm guessing.  Completely.

There would be almost as much oiling going on as the there wouldn't be as big of trough in the pan from the dooliewhapper being stoked through it 600 times a minute.  Oil based cooling would probably be about the same too.  300 big gulps verses 600 not quite so big.  What happens when you leave the inspection plate open and run these engines?

Does anyone actually know if there is a drift in compression as an engine changes speed?  How many times can a piston huff and puff per minute without a change in pressures and complete combustions?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 03:07:21 PM »
I dont think the dollywhopper throws oil directly onto the rod end. Air currents created by the revolving crank probably have a fair bit to do with taking the oil "rain" aloft onto surfaces from which it can drip or which the crank can blunder into. I'm a thinkin velocity is an important function. No fan here of real slow running. The separating power of the oil wedge inside the bearing goes way down;  If you have ever tried really slow water skiing you see how the lifting power diminishes.

If there were no valve overlap and considered ring and valve seal 100%, maximum compression would be at very low rpm but the valve opening and closing lead and lag effectively loses part of the theoretical stroke. The maximum dynamic compression is influenced by the momentum of the gasses and will be at a higher rpm. As you start to get into elevated rpm the engines valve opening area and port flow resistance starts limit cylinder charging and compression in absolute terms starts to fall off. Engine design, whether for high or low rpm torque will influence what rpm range these points come. If you are talking two stroke engines there can be a dramatic increase in dynamic compression over static.
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 09:03:35 PM »
Wow Tijean,

How many tax manuals have you written?  What a vocabulary!

I'm a Lister virgin.  Most dooliewhappers I've seen (at least six) have a small hole at their base to bring the oil directly onto the con-rod journal.  Not so with Listers?

The Old Man always wanted his idles a bit high to keep the oil going everywhere it should.  He designed and built the 1947 Mustang Motor Car.

Oh well, I think there will be few bites on this guys web-site from Lister Engine visitors.

Casey

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 09:36:53 PM »
Wow Tijean,

How many tax manuals have you written?  What a vocabulary!

I'm a Lister virgin.  Most dooliewhappers I've seen (at least six) have a small hole at their base to bring the oil directly onto the con-rod journal.  Not so with Listers?

The Old Man always wanted his idles a bit high to keep the oil going everywhere it should.  He designed and built the 1947 Mustang Motor Car.

Oh well, I think there will be few bites on this guys web-site from Lister Engine visitors.

Casey

Sorry for miss spelling dooliewhappher  I think the majority of slingers on listeroids are simply a flattened rod that is threaded into the rod cap where its projecting end engages the lower bearing shell for anti rotation / location. Xyzer has made a modification of drilling it with a 5/64 hole and giving the lower end a scoop opening. There seems to have been a few Listeroid bearing failures possibly connected to slower than usual running.

I think the wear reduction claims may be valid going from 3600 to 1800 or so rpms but may totally fly out the window at some point if you project it forever downward.

Some of the fuel consumption claims get shaky if you were to base them on ounces of fuel per kwh produced. Idling or not I dont think I have seen any engines that run 100,000 hrs with virtually no maintainence. Yes there are lots of emotional hooks for suckers in the articles connected with that piece of salesmanship.
Frank

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 04:21:36 AM »
Yes that is.....  Robert Bodell........http://rbodell.com/default.aspx   

Obviously there is no Mrs. Bodell.  He seems a bit frustrated....
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

cgwymp

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 08:52:23 PM »
I think the wear reduction claims may be valid going from 3600 to 1800 or so rpms but may totally fly out the window at some point if you project it forever downward.

I wouldn't be so sure -- at 0 rpm I'll bet the wear will be practically nil! ;-)
Listeroid 8/1

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 12:36:01 AM »

I wouldn't be so sure -- at 0 rpm I'll bet the wear will be practically nil! ;-)

Well, if there is even an infinitesimally small net output, torque must be near infinitely high.  :) In any case splash lubrication quit working long ago and the grease fittings we installed can be now be lubed on the fly! EP lube of course  ;D

OK, so you got me on a technicality! Lol!  ::)
Frank