Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister VA Project  (Read 64617 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Lister VA Project
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 12:39:07 AM »
With no traveling this Christmas, and all the activity dying down, I was able to spend time on the air compressor project yesterday and today.  Made good progress.  Compressor is mounted and piped.  Control system is piped and working perfect.  Tank holds air with no leaks found so far.  I only ran it up to 80 PSI in the shop but so far no troubles. 

There are 4 unloaders for the compressor.  The hydraulic unloader opens until oil pressure builds for easy starting (stock Quincy design).  Next the control valve opens at 120 PSI and closes at 110.  Then there is a manual toggle to open the unloaders.  Finally there is a safety valve fitted to the tank.

Engine got an oil change and a new extended oil drain pipe.  Muffler is on.

I need to get it outside for longer runs but this thing is top heavy and moving has to be done with great care.  If I leave it out it will be too hard to start.  Supposed to be close to 50 this weekend so that might be a good time to put some time on the rig.

Here are some details on the compressor control;

I had to offset the compressor for allignment;

Here is the flex line from the compressor to the tank to allow for vibration and the sliding base.  It is a stainless steel bellow with a braided cover.

Finally, a video of a test run.  Sorry about it being sideways.  I'll shoot another once it is under test.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2011, 11:33:26 PM »
I rigged a couple of pieces on the base legs so I could safely move the rig around.  Either by pallet jack or by forklift, the forks are trapped preventing any rolling.  The unit is much safer to move now.  I am also working on a throttle kick down so the engine will either idle or shut off when the unloader is actuated.

Happy new year folks.

Bob
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:11:46 PM by rleonard »

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 02:33:25 PM »
It has been cold, snowy and windy lately.  A lot easier to work in the house and plan the next move than get out in the cold shop and marginally heat it up to work.  Got some work done reorganizing the gun cabinet yesterday.  Good weather for those kind of things.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
It hit 72 here on St Patrick's Day!  A great preview to spring.  I had other projects in the shop but got through them and spent time on the VA compressor.  The idle air cylinder is mounted and works perfectly.  A 3/4 X1 air cylinder is fitted with a spring loaded plunger.  When the compressor is operating, the cylinder is retracted and the engine functions normally, the speed being set by the governor spring.  When the compressor unloader valve is tripped, the compressor unloaders are actuated, and the idle cylinder extends.  The springs on the spring loaded plunger push against the governor arm reducing the effective spring tension.  The engine drops down to a governed slower speed.  Engine speed settings now are 835 RPM under load and about 500 idling.  I do not want to slow it too much because the engine has to accelerate under load when the compressor returns to operation.

I'll post a video and pictured later.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2011, 01:19:11 PM »
This project has been on hold.  Running the compressor, the engine had an excessive knock.  Pulling the piston and rod, I found excessive piston to cylinder clearance.  It had been bored oversize in the past so the choices were new cylinder, sleeve, or find another oversize piston.  I chose the latter solution and the piston showed up yesterday.  Now I can get this back together and complete the project. 

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2011, 05:06:21 PM »
That you were able to find the parts is amazing Bob. The 6/1 we purchased at Helmuth's was .040" over  and we searched all known sources for a set of rings to no avail. Good luck going back together. ;)
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 11:09:34 PM »
I'm sorry but I just have to ask.

Why are you not powering a generator that could then power many different apparatus rather than just an air compressor?  What am I missing?

Oh, Great effort and job on what you're doing.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 04:50:19 AM »
Fair question Casey.  I am fortunate to have several Listers.  Two are on generators.  I bought this VA because I did not have one and it somewhat completes my collection of slow speed Listers.  It needed a job to do.  I ran across this air tank and figured that I'd rig up an air compressor to put the engine to work. 

I have a large electric compressor in the shop.  This one will go in another building and I'll pipe them together sometime down the road.  This summer I'll show it at engine shows.

Bob

aqmxv

• Duty Now for the Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 08:53:22 PM »
It's not precisely on topic, but worth mentioning - if you consider the conversion losses from mechanical energy to electrical and then back to mechanical when you have no more than six horsepower sitting around (postulating a CS one cyl here), then going direct mechanical for work makes more sense.

I'm thinking about putting a line shaft in my shop.  I'd prefer to use more modern belt technology than flat belts (which are a pain and inefficient), but the idea is the same - the losses of spinning a shaft on ball bearings have to be a lot less than double conversion of mechanical energy.

Yes, one can run the air conditioner with a Lister and a generator, but why not just run a refrigeration compressor with a belt from the Lister and cut out the middleman?

6/1 Metro IDI for home trigen

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 10:41:46 PM »

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2011, 04:22:52 AM »
All in pieces now with most of the paint stripped off.  2 layers at least on the engine.  Lots more work to do in prep for paint.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2011, 11:36:06 AM »
Nice work as always Bob. Your ever present dog seems to approve as well  ;D Just working on getting an SL1 up on a skid for a show this weekend.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2011, 02:25:18 PM »
Nick is a great companion.  He is supposed to bite me whenever I do something stupid.  Most of the scars have healed.....

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »
The rig is in pieces all over the shop in preparation for paint.  Two layers of green were stripped from the engine.  It is getting closer to paint.  The blower housing has several dents that I am having a friend that is skilled in body work address.  The regular flywheel had a repair once where it had been bored for a browning tapered bushing.  I was glad to find (under layers of paint) the serial number of the engine stamped in the rim confirming that it was the original wheel.  Also there was runout on the wheel that I hope a new tapered bushing will resolve.

A fuel tank and the brackets to support it and all the piping is done.

Little by little things will come together.

Bob

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 03:46:32 AM »
Making progress