Puppeteer

Author Topic: Access Again  (Read 28414 times)

millman56

• View Profile
Access Again
« on: November 04, 2010, 12:28:50 AM »
Hi everyone, a few lines to introduce myself, I live in the UK about right in the centre and have an unhealthy interest in all things compression ignition. It is a friend and I who are planning to send a container of Lister CS and other types over to the US as  Dr Death has made known here and elsewhere.   Millman56.

DRDEATH

• View Profile
Re: Access Again
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 01:18:01 AM »
Glad to have you here. I am also glad to have you and Pete willing to help me out with my goal of bringing some of your heritage to the US. My venture is moving forward with quite a few excited furture Lister owners. With your plan it will make a few more anxious wana be true Lister owners happy. Mike DD
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 02:22:59 AM »
So what are we talking to have one of these  listers  in good shape shiped over here .......ball park price ?
 cs. price ?   container price ?  extras price?     

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:35:26 AM »
Hi there, what I intend to do is put each engine up for sale by sealed offer, this offer price will include shipping to Dodge City Ks, from there the buyer will arrange and pay for his or hers shipping home, so it will be the open market that dictates the price.   I will have a video of  each respective enginef it runs,  on Utube and if the owner of this forum and the list are amenable then I will list a description and photos on here.   BS is not my game and the engines will be described honestly outlining all known faults.  Is there any interest in the over 25 year old higher speed (up to 1500 Rpm ) air cooled listers over there ?      These are more widely available here than the water cooled listers.        Mark.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 12:34:18 PM »
The Lister post CS type air cooled twins and single do deserve more attension. They are pretty good engines in their own right and I persoanly would not sniff at a twin for the camp...

But atthis point I have to say no because of financial restrictions lol
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

TGEMilwaukee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 12:41:46 PM »
So what are we talking to have one of these  listers  in good shape shiped over here .......ball park price ?
 cs. price ?   container price ?  extras price?     

I can't speak for the shipment being planned here, but I can provide actual prices when I had the CS and winch shipped in July 2010 from Leeds, UK.  The Lister CS and winch combined weight 1,600Lbs.
CS price $650 USD  Shipping to Atlanta, GA $568 USD.  Extras...  Parts to get CS running...

"Buyer Beware"

Tim
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:55:40 PM by TGEMilwaukee »

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 07:58:09 PM »
Tim would you please explain what you mean by " Buyer Be Ware" This would be the same as buying from eBay. The buyer will only be responsible for shipping from a town located in the US, Dodge City KS. The sellers will provide video of running engines with an accurate description of the engines. Original Lister engines are just not everywhere in the US. This  auction  plus my venture is a way to own some of these engines.  If a buyer purchases more than one engine and he would rather come to Dodge since it is pretty centerally located in the US he will just need to make arrangements. When I spoke to you at the auction you seemed negative about my venture.  Was that because I have made it possible to afford the shipping for more than one engine. An auction is the fairest way to determine a price of a commodity. It was the auction at Arthur that made me realize the value of these engines and work with Mark and Pete to make this venture work. I have nothing to gain from this sale just like I have nothing to gain from the container I am putting together. If you wish to be involved with either all you need to do is ask. Mike DD

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 08:52:09 PM »
Tim before you decide to form an opinion please do your homework so a rotten remark wont spoil the whole deal.
First of all I have been dealing with Britts for over 5 years and have not run across one that is not a stand up person. That's because everyone I have dealt with has been recommended from another friend.
I am not sure what your complaint was about your deal. this is why I have tried not to deal on UK eBay. You never know who or what to expect. I did however buy 2 engines off of it and it was a very positive experience and I still stay in contact with the seller.
As for these sellers doing this sealed bid auction they are a straight up as you can get. If Mark or Pete told me the sun was shinning at midnight I would not even look because this is how much I trust them. BUT you don't need to just take my word for it. AdeV actually set foot on Marks propriety and met him. He gave me a good report on Mark. Ade has been on this forum for quite a long time and I don't think he would be involved in this deal with advice. Ade even purchased one of Mark's engines I lined up for him.
My integrity on this forum is so;id. I would not do something for someone else that I would not do for myself. Since I do not have the money to loose I would not recommend something to someone else if I thought it was crooked. DRDEATH

Jetpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »
I am planning on getting one of these engines in the container shipment.  I live just outside of Victoria, Texas and plan on driving up to pick up the engine when it gets to Dodge City.  If anybody else along my route wants one, I will be willing to deliver yours on my way back home.  All I would ask for is a little gas money, not looking to make anything , just help me out and I will help you out.  Looks like my route would take me through Austin, Waco, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Oklahome City and on to Dodge City.

The original container shipment is the one I am referring to.  Not the one people will bid on.

Derek
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:30:56 PM by Jetpilot »

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 01:17:55 AM »
I hope people realize Lister engines coming across from the UK does not happen often. In most cases it would be impossible for one of us to even go over there and try to buy one. I think finding a couple gents willing to share some of the heritage with everyone over here who before have not been able to get these is nothing short of a MIRACLE. I believe there are a great many people on this forum who have desired to own one or tow of these. I really hope this works because I have invested quite a bit of time for the US buyers. Mike DD

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 01:32:29 AM »
I think you are doing a great thing there mike, wish i had some cash to pick one up, but unfortunately whenever things like this come along I'm strapped for cash. Besides I have to tool up for my new (to me) bridgeport mill, still working on the 20/2 omega & gen head, southbend 10L, '68 camaro, re-financing the house, & haven't even started on the power house yet. keep up the good work.

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 03:04:24 AM »
Hi Mark,

I would like to welcome you to the forum!

I for one, can't wait to see what you and Pete are offering and will definitely be bidding on one or more.

Regarding Tim's comment, I vaguely remember Tim being frustrated by the shipping hassles and the add on costs at the US port in order to get his stuff released.  It ended up being a more expensive venture than he had planned, and I believe this was the source of his comment/frustration.

Nevertheless, I will soon be tackling a similar project, so we will have a very good idea of the ultimate costs once I'm done.

Mark and Pete, thank you for being willing to help us Yanks be able to acquire our own piece of British history!!!

Again welcome!

Best regards,

Steve
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:07:00 AM by apogee_man »

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »
Hi Steve, thank you for your welcome.

Presently  I am in the process of uploading (at snails pace)  onto Youtube videos of 2 of the engines that will be offered, one is entitled "Marks Lister Chp Setup" and the other Marks Lister 5-1, another of the engines is already on Youtube entitled " dancing lister CS", this shows the latest development in energy absorbing resiliant mounting technology, lol.    Two more videos were shot yesterday but it seems a career in movie photography is not for me.

As regards Tim`s comment "caveat emptor" is very applicable when distance buying, just because someone can write a few words and upload a video or two does not mean they have any integrity or that their items are as described, unless its me of course. 

The accepted offer price on the engine/s will be final and no more to pay apart from individual shippng costs from an as yet unknown transport depot in the Dodge City area to your address, any other hits will be on my chin.

Good luck with your project.

Thank you all for giving Pete and myself the opportunity to aquire some of of your fine greenbacks in exchange for rationalising our OTT engine collections

Best regards,

Mark.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 09:44:19 AM »
I wish DD every success in this venture, as its an opportunity for our American friends to get there hands on some genuine Lister products, and by pooling the cost of the container, the shipping costs will be so much cheaper, due to economies of scale.

Container shipping will be much cheaper than shipping items individually, due to the additional costs shipping agents load onto individually crated items. As DD has his own transportation facilities, again cost savings will be made here as well.

The one negative comment so far received, may be due in part to all the hidden costs that often only start to become apparent once you are committed to the shipping of a single item. If your not experienced in shipping items between countries then these charges can come as an unwelcome surprise.

From my own personel experience of shipping a Kohler K532 engine back from the USA, that I was given FOC for help locating some enginge parts in the UK. Upon arrival at Southampton docks additional charges seemed to be made every time somone touched the crate. It even went as far as a hazardous shipping charge for the engine oil that the UK shipping agent said was still in the engine, I found this strange as the prevoius owner had steam cleaned the engine, drained the oil, then removed the sump, and cleaned any residual oil in a solvent degreasing bath, then replaced the sump with a new gasket. All prior to it being shipped from the USA. In the end I told the agent to forget it and that was the last of it.

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 10:44:49 AM »
I have cooled off a little from my last post. There is nothing in life that does not involve risk. Life itself is a risk. Two or three years ago I was told that bringing Lister's over here in a large sum could not be done. I am not sure how long ago it has been since someone has done it. Well now there is not only one container going but possibly two containers will grace the shores of the US. I have tried to limit the risk by dealing with people who seem to have the same standards as I do and using a shipper who has been doing this for over 10 years. I feel that it is a pretty good team working on both shores to achieve this. I would have to say to the buyers their money is probably as secure as it is with our current administration in the white house. Possibly even more secure. LOL Mike DD