Author Topic: WMO burners: How many KWH per gallon?  (Read 13912 times)

Number21

• View Profile
WMO burners: How many KWH per gallon?
« on: October 18, 2009, 11:38:10 AM »
I'm just curious those of you that have burned WMO in your generators, approximately how many KWH are you generating from a gallon of fuel?

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: WMO burners: How many KWH per gallon?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 02:38:32 PM »
right at 10kwatt hours burning a mix of 50/50 (15/40 and pump diesel)
in a S195 idi changfa

and i think it is possible to get to 11kwatt hours per gallon under specific conditions
in a very well setup unit optimized to to burn wmo in higher ratio's of oil

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

rosietheriviter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 11:53:23 PM »
right at 10kwatt hours burning a mix of 50/50 (15/40 and pump diesel)
in a S195 idi changfa

and i think it is possible to get to 11kwatt hours per gallon under specific conditions
in a very well setup unit optimized to to burn wmo in higher ratio's of oil

bob g
Bob,
Are you saying 11KWHrs/gal of the mix or per gallon of  WMO?

Rose
Any resembalance to any correct spelling, punctuation,or grammar is purely coincidental!

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country, for an amount of "up to and including my life."

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 01:36:05 AM »
I run primarily WVO, but I have run about 10 gallons of WMO in a test recently and it produces close to the same output as WVO.  In my metro 6/1, I get about 3 hours run time putting out 3-3.5 KW.  The test was run on 100% WMO.  I don't know how happy the engine will be long term running straight WMO, but it seemed to run smoothly without any apparent ugly noises.
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 09:02:54 AM »
Amazing!  Simply amazing.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
May I add, that the test was done with startup and shutdown on diesel, I used a cheap 12v auto fuel pump to get fuel from the tank (mounted below injection pump level) to the IP, and used a fattywagon type line heater.  Normally the line heaters supplied are around 30" and you use about 6" per line on a 5cyl mercedes.  I used the whole length wrapped spiral around my 6/1 injection line.  That has GOT to add a bunch of heat in the long line of slow moving fuel.  I figured that as long as the IP can handle the thicker fuel, atomization should be reasonable with the warm engine, and a really hot injection line.

Or I could be an idiot destroying my engine........ time will tell :)
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 04:28:23 PM »
It's the same as diesel or veg oil but I don't see it makes much difference as it's free any way.
For there to be much difference between diesel and wmo, the engine wouldn't be running right and possibly being damage.