Author Topic: stuck injection pump  (Read 12791 times)

torquemada

• View Profile
stuck injection pump
« on: October 14, 2010, 12:19:06 AM »
this is wot i've got...this god damned engine has been such a pain in the ### its only run for 90 minutes in last 6 months,had to rebuild all the linkages there was so much play in them it would only run on one cylinder.....now,the lazy cylinders injection pump has stuck  (mico). anyway i can free it up with out taking it to bits?
i had it running on one cyl with the tie rod disconnected and it didn't matter where i moved the horizontal shaft to....nothing happened....
some help please guys.........cheers........keith

somian

• View Profile
Re: stuck injection pump
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 12:26:25 PM »
I assume that the control rack does not move. You might, and I do stress might, be able to remove the delivery valve, and then using a very clean brass drift, tap the pump element down. Obviously you need to make sure the cam is not trying to lift the plunger at the time, and make sure everything around the top of the pump is very clean before you take anything apart. I also stress tap, not thump!. If that fails you will need to take the pump off, soak it in fuel for a goodly while, and then tap the pump element down. Do not try forcing the control rack.

Ian

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 12:40:10 PM »
If as you state "i had it running on one cyl with the tie rod disconnected and it didn't matter where i moved the horizontal shaft to....nothing happened...."

Then it is not possible that "the lazy cylinders injection pump has stuck (mico)" because if this was the case then you could not move the injector pump rack at all (horizontal shaft).

I would recommend you take the following course of action to narrow down where the problem is.

Firstly check to see that you have fuel going to the injector pump, by loosening the banjo bolt on the pump inlet, as you might have an airlock, or a blockage causing fuel starvation.

"anyway i can free it up with out taking it to bits?" This is looking the most likely course of action for your engine, but before you do that why not disconnect the injector pump to injector pipe from the pump and give it a brief run on one cylinder to see if the pump is operating, ie it squirts out diesel from the top of the pump with the engine running on one cylinder.

If that test is OK, then re-tighten at the injector pump and loosen the injector pipe at the connection to the injector, and repeat as before, so as to remove any airlocks between the pump and injector (as any diesel engine hates airlocks in the fuel system). 

If the engine still only runs on one cylinder after you have tried all that, then pull the injector out of the cylinder head (on the lazy cylinder) and temporary connect it back to the pump (outside of the engine), and start the engine again (taking great care to keep well clear of the injector spray holes, as the pressures involved are enough to inject the diesel fuel into human flesh in an instant).

All of the above will narrow it down to either a pump, injector, or a fuel starvation problem.

If all of the above checks out OK, then the only other area to investigate is engine compression on the affected cylinder.

All the best,

Listard-jp2
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 12:56:29 PM by listard-jp2 »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 01:35:19 PM »
Are you sure it is stuck? On our 24/2 the pump and injector on the left side when viewed from that side of the engine is a pure SOB to bleed out because of the way the feed line comes from other pump and the hump in the middle it was air locked as Listard said. The way we finaly got it bled was to let the engine idle on the one cylinder and unpinned the rack on the left one and held it wide open, still took about 10 minutes for it to pump a few drops and then foth and foam for another 10 before it finaly would fire the injector.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 02:23:28 PM »
^ quite so 38ac, the U bend in the fuel feed pipe to the far injector pump almost seems as if it was designed to create the perfect airlock situation, I suspect this is the way it is to prevent fatigue fractures developing on the pipe. But I would have thought there would have being better ways to go about it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:59:31 PM by listard-jp2 »

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 03:11:58 PM »
Have you removed the delivery check valve from the top of the injector pump? that can be stuck up a bit and not acting like the spring loaded check valve that it is. You will have to crack the nut loose anyways as part of the bleeding process since an air lock below it can prevent the pump from delivering enough to bleed itself; especially so an a low head gravity fuel supply.

The injector pump could have the plunger stuck up and not following the cam but that would be pretty rare. in this case the rack may still be free to rotate the metering elements but still get no delivery. Not a likely scenario. If your fuel rack is free and you can visibly see the plunger moving up and down, your most likely problem is with the delivery check valve stuck or air locked.
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

torquemada

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 07:24:10 PM »
OK guys thanx for all the input i'm on it to see what i can find....i'll let you know how it goes.....KEITH

torquemada

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 07:44:36 PM »
Guys......that's why this forum is indispensable....its running!!!!!!
just gotta fit another couple of rose joints to take out the final slop in the linkage and then rebalance left to right......thats the first time its PROPERLY fired on both Cylinders from new........thanks again....i'm like a dog with two dicks......:)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 08:08:47 PM »
WELL............................

WHAT......................

WAS............................

IT???????????????????????
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

torquemada

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 01:00:27 AM »
tom it was a mahoosive amount of air in that side of the injection pipe.....did as was suggested ran it with the injector cracked and the pump disconnected so i could open it all the way up....coupla minutes and even with it pouring diesel everywhere from he injector union you could hear it starting to fire,closed the injection line and away she went.
just need to get both injection pumps to work together now..........

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
Thanks! It does take a loooooong time to purge the air on a single too.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

torquemada

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 07:01:35 PM »
amazing how smooth the old girl is when its running on both cylinders!!!!!!! ;D