Author Topic: Test Run your Stand-by Generators...  (Read 3858 times)

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
Test Run your Stand-by Generators...
« on: October 01, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »
Climate scientists on the North American West Coast are predicting the most severe La Nina ocean current, and the coldest, wetest winter in recent memory.
If you live here you might want to consider getting ready, just in case they are right.
Besides, you should run your stand-by generator for fun just to be ready! Then check your tire chains and split some fire wood. Fill your gas cans and stock up the pantry.
It probably won't happen, but what the hey?? Being ready is a kind of hobby for Do It Yerselfers.  ;)
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

listerboy

• I love the smell of diesel in the morning....
    • View Profile
Re: Test Run your Stand-by Generators...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 12:41:40 AM »
I second that emotion.  Never hurts to be prepared :o. But I'll do you all a favor; I'll prepare for the worst.....and nothing will happen.
Story of my life, happens all the time... ;D

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 01:57:06 AM »
Been running mine about once a month since I commissioned it, and havn't needed it but 2 or 3 times in 3 years, and never for longer than about 3 hours:)
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Randybee1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:39:48 PM »
Climate scientists on the North American West Coast are predicting the most severe La Nina ocean current, and the coldest, wetest winter in recent memory.
If you live here you might want to consider getting ready, just in case they are right.
Besides, you should run your stand-by generator for fun just to be ready! Then check your tire chains and split some fire wood. Fill your gas cans and stock up the pantry.
It probably won't happen, but what the hey?? Being ready is a kind of hobby for Do It Yerselfers.  ;)

I wonder how many people living in the northwest have headed your warning???  right now it sucks to be living in the NW!  Randy B

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 04:41:27 PM »
Well;
I guess the 'climate scientists' were right on this one. It's chilly around here (Western Washington). I've been fixing frozen pipes last night. Monday night we had a power outage just at bed time. Power was back on about midnight, so I didn't run the Listeroid. It's snowing lightly today (Thanksgiving Day) and the cold remains.
The wife and I took a quick forraging trip early Monday when the snow started. On the way home from Costco, we passed under the freeway and noted the traffic jam that made history, it was just starting to stop  :P
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's