Author Topic: Mechanical Help With Witte Engine Near Seattle  (Read 2992 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Mechanical Help With Witte Engine Near Seattle
« on: September 10, 2010, 09:17:16 PM »
I'm getting ready to ship my Witte BD to Hawaii and want to get it tuned up a little and be taught how to do a couple of fundamental maintenance processes before I'm stuck on a farm in the middle of Hawaii with an engine that needs some routine PM.  I have an operators manual but would prefer a tutor for the first time at timing it.

The generator reportedly doesn't put out electricity.  Some help there would also be very welcome.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

wirenutrob

• View Profile
Re: Mechanical Help With Witte Engine Near Seattle
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 06:38:40 PM »
Hey,

If your gen. head is old the first thing I would do is inspect the brush assembly. If it looks ok then find another means of test spinning up the gen. head. and check for low voltage on the input side of the field windings. Then check the output side of the head. Many times an old head needs the armature stoned to remove rust and oil that impede the electrical process. A very fine emery cloth to remove the small layer of rust usually does the job. Drop me a PM and I will be glad to call you to help you.  I been an electrician for some 30+ years so I've picked up a few tricks here and there.