Author Topic: Portland Show  (Read 15733 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Portland Show
« on: August 25, 2010, 04:33:35 AM »
I am planning to be at the Portland (Indiana) show on Friday.  Anyone want to meet and have lunch?

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

sid

• View Profile
Re: Portland Show
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 09:33:58 PM »
I am at the portland show today and tomorrow.meet Peter and his wife today and had an enjoyable time with them/ I think most of us will be gone by friday but if you can make it earlier. let me know/sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 12:47:24 AM »
Portland is a huge show and I gave it due diligence walking for hours and hours today.  I covered all the areas.  I did not see a 1 CS Lister!  I did see a nice ball hopper (not running), and was told that there was an A or something small, but no slow speed diesels.

Maybe there were a couple brought in early and sold, but I doubt it.

Bob

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 02:09:05 AM »
There is a general lack of diesels at our shows too, compounded by the fact that they are tiny shows compared to TriState. I drew my CS 16 to 4 shows this year and saw only 2 other diesels, an Enfield and a gorgeous Ruston CR elevator engine.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 01:55:04 AM »
Next year I hope to display a 1932 6/1 CS that looks much younger. I plan on having my pink petter also. I might have another 1 or 2 but I will just have to see. DD
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 04:29:01 PM »
I would like to post some pictures but I cant seem to make it work. Is there anyone who will help a poor illiterate computer person that would help. I do know how to email. DD

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 10:11:17 PM »
the best way I found to post pictures was to email them to some who knew how///sorry about that// missed you at portland and hope you got the pictures I emailed to you//made it home after a week on the road, sunburned and tired..this show at Portland was the best ever. I have been to a lot of shows but the variety was hard to beat,,,only saw about 5=6 Listers and only saw 2 for sale/ both ball top./also saw one Italian and one Germany diesels both air cooled.sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
I enjoyed the pictures. If I didn't send reply sorry I am now. I loved the pink cat. So do you know how to post pictures???  If so I have a couple you could post. I would like to show off my 1932 Lister even though it probably wont be in America for a few more months. Mike

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 04:06:18 AM »
This is my pictures of my pride and joy in the UK. I hope I don't suffer to much before it is finally home in the US. DD

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 11:19:56 AM »
This cooling arrangement may be OK for no load, display running, but I still have concerns.  1.  System volume is too small,  2.  Not enough area to transfer heat,  3.  The weight of the reservoir and the water being carried solely by the pipe fittings.

Bob

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 05:12:31 PM »
Bob I know the cooling tank will only work for idle speed. I just think having a fire extinguisher from Scotland is one of a kind. If it looks like it will get to hot I will have to include something else. I am not sure if I want to subject this engine to work. I will run the engine part of the time under a load just to keep it clean and then I will have a better cooling system just to prevent it from over heating. Bill ran this engine @ about 350 RPM for 8 hours and it never got above 100*.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 12:13:14 PM »
OK.  It might be worth considering putting in a thermostat to get the temp up.  That would reduce slobbering and possibly deposits in the combustion chamber.  The tank does look nice. 

Regarding cooling, my Amish friend told me "one 55 gallon barrel for a single, Two for a twin".  These rules applied to working engines.  Most of the installations that I have seen have radiators instead of barrels though.

Bob

billypurves

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 09:54:51 PM »

Could you tell me what "slobbering" is please as it is a term i have not heard before?

Best Regards Bill.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 01:44:43 AM »
Slobber is a black oily discharge from the exhaust of a diesel that has run for an extended length of time without a load to heat it up to proper operating temp. Failure to break in new rings with a heavy load on the engine may help contribute to the engines propensity to "slobber" as well. There is lots of info here on this phenomenon, just use the search feature !

P.S. This term also refers to the drool dripping off of ones chin when you spot a nice CS for sale  ;D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:48:57 AM by contaucreek »
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

billypurves

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 08:55:56 PM »
Is the "slobbering symptom" confined only to CSs?  I would be more inclined to "slobber" at your Ball Top.