Author Topic: GMC truck  (Read 15014 times)

DRDEATH

• View Profile
GMC truck
« on: August 07, 2010, 02:40:21 PM »
This is kind of off the wall but I thought I would post here for guidence. I have a 1999 GMC 4 x 4 1 ton truck. Other than the paint it is in great shape. It has a 454 in it and I would like to change it for either a GMC diesel or a Dodge Cummins diesel. Who out there has any knowledge about this? Also is there any problems with Big Brother ( government ) in doing something like this. The reason for this is I have an unlimited supply of UMO to burn. Thanks, DD
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

Tijean

• View Profile
Re: GMC truck
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 05:24:08 PM »
I have been out of the loop for quite a few years but generally there is a penalty for modification of any emission control system on a motor vehicle. Any engine change, even for an identical one required notification. Any change in the fuel also required notification and I believe re inspection for safety. A lot of people simply did it and took their chances and few ever got caught unless they were being watched because of other nuisances the were being to the Ministry of Transport. Of course any accident that could be remotely connected with the work done, would void insurance. This is in Canada but probably pretty similar in the US.

I think more often diesels were swapped out to gas engines at least in Ford and GM trucks. Chrysler were more dependable as diesels though there are lots of loyal Ford and Gm diesel fans. Generally you can find more ready made components if you keep the swap within the same Brand. Watch the weight closely and strength of front end components if you consider the Cummins. My son had one and it pounded heck out of front suspensions.There can be lots of little details sorting out linkages for throttle and clutch, guage compatibilty, radiator and exhaust connections and the availability or lack of vacuum for brake assist on a diesel.

Resale value is about zero on anything like that.
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:38:11 PM »
Got an emissions testing program?  Got problems.

In Washington state; it would be pretty tricky or maybe impossible.  In the state of Hawaii; Who cares, be happy.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:41:02 PM »
Sounds like it was not such a good idea. I guess I will look for a Dodge. THANKS

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 09:31:25 PM »
For alternative fuels (UMO, WVO etc.) for reliability reasons, I'd be inclined to stick with the Chevy 6.5 or the Ford pre-powerstroke ('93 and earlier (and a few '94)).

I run the WVO in my '95 GMC Suburban with the 6.5 TD.  Not super powerful compared to the Cummins, but cheap, and don't mind the thicker fuels.

I just prefer the IDI motors for the thicker fuels.

YMMV
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 03:35:49 AM »
I just had another thought.  The transmission is computer controlled.  You would need a computer controlled 6.5 to send the correct signals to shift properly.  I'd abandon the whole idea due to the nightmares involved.
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 07:44:46 AM »
I just finished changing out the 1.3L gas engine in the suzuki samurai to a 1.6L vw turbo diesel.

When I drove it in tho the emissions test center they took one listen (didn't open the hood) asked if it was diesel and tested it as that. No more questions asked.

Here all diesels must blow 30% Opacity (I think they made that word up) or less in order for it to pass.

I live in the lower mainland of BC and we have Aircare (emissions test)

Check with where you live. Around here there are quite a few engine swaps going on.

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 01:41:05 PM »

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 06:16:01 PM »
Hi westcoaster,

How screaming difficult was it to convert. 

Are you one of the machine shop masters that hang around this site and make the rest of us feel like pinkie painters?  (Finger Painting is a full two year degree step up for some of us.) 

Did you use a kit?

In Washington state, USA they know what you have when they scan the VIN.  In Hawaii, No problem bra;  No testem.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 01:25:46 AM »
I have a 92 dodge 3/4 ton with the 12 valve Cummins in it...great truck...typical issues....great mileage.  www.cumminsforum.com
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 03:50:39 AM »
loads of stuff on 6.5 diesel on these 2 sites. Dieselpage.com a fee to join but books and CD'S on the mods you need to do. dieselplace.com Huge site with all you may need if your good at searching and have time.
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

rf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 09:08:46 AM »
Westcoaster,
 Where did you get the adapter plate or do you have plans to share?
I've got and 85 Samurai I'd like to put an old Jetta non turbo into, is it worth the trouble?

Regards
RF

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 03:55:56 AM »
I think I want a dodge now.    http://www.wimp.com/pickuptruck/  I wouldn't care if it didn't get good fuel milage. DD

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 12:50:36 PM »
I think I want a dodge now.    http://www.wimp.com/pickuptruck/  I wouldn't care if it didn't get good fuel milage. DD

Isn't it interesting what oil money can do..................... ::) ::)

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
I think this guy must be related to the guy who builds his own islands. I think we should all ask for our share of the truck... DD