Author Topic: Flywheel removal problem solved with home brew puller, with pics  (Read 3427 times)

solarguy

• View Profile
So I finally threw in the towel with my mickey mouse "commercial" puller. 

I finished my custom puller last night about 12:30 am and had to slap it on there and try it.  After about three good turns on the bolt, the flywheel  came loose and then slid right off.  The whole process took less than three minutes.  If you want/need to build one, here's how:

(click on the thumbnails to see the big pics)

Here's pics of the puller:

First an overview.  The two "C" shaped plates are installed behind the flywheel.  The two plates bolt together with (4) 1/4" capscrews.  The plate with the big hole is closest to the crankcase and just fits over the bearing housing.  The plate with the smaller hole fits nicely over the 2" crankshaft and does the actuall pulling on the hub of the flywheel.  When the two plates are bolted together around the crankshaft, there are three holes available for the 3/8" allthread to connect to the 1/2" puller plate.  The puller plate is really (2) 1/4" disks welded together (because that's what I had laying around handy.  The central bolt is 5/8" allthread with a nut welded to the plate.  The nut goes toward the crankshaft.

Here's the hindmost plate that fits over the bearing housing closest to the engine:

Here's the second plate that bolts to the first plate and fits over the crank and actually pulls on the hub:

And here's the puller plate, self expanatory:

Sorry for the sloppy weld, cuts, ect.  I was in a hurry.  Didn't chip the slag off, etc. etc.  I know you've been there too...

Wooo Hooo, I can get on with the overhaul now.

Hope that helps somebody on down the road.

Finest regards,

troy

rpg52

• View Profile
Re: Flywheel removal problem solved with home brew puller, with pics
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 05:39:30 PM »
Troy,
Terriffic presentation.  Could you show the puller in place on the engine to complete the series?  I think your descriptions of how it works would be clear then.  Thanks again,
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 10:10:26 PM »
Yeah, sure.  When I get the other flywheel set up, I'll do that photo and add it to the series.

Finest regards,

troy

Doug

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 11:31:42 PM »
Good idea:

Same simple solution might make a good gib key puller too!

I'm on it, time to see if the Industrial Mecanics at the mine are up to there salt and build some pullers!

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 04:25:43 PM »
My gib key came out easily with a simple wedge.  But I am not so sure I could be that lucky every time.  Also, I indend to replace the crank trb's, so a little pounding didn't matter.  But this style puller worked so well, I intend to make some sort of easy gib puller as well, as others have done.

Finest regards,

troy