Puppeteer

Author Topic: What does "Standby Power Rating" mean?  (Read 4221 times)

Bill()C

• View Profile
What does "Standby Power Rating" mean?
« on: May 05, 2006, 11:09:04 PM »
I'm reading over my state regulations and whenever I hear of "emergency power" and "standby power" I think of the same thing... interchangeable terms.

However it is unclear to me what standby power rating means.  Does this apply to a distributed, "always on", type generator?  What does Prime Power rating mean?

I have ideas, but don't want to muck up this question with my guessing.  Thanks...

Bill

Doug

Re: What does "Standby Power Rating" mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 11:21:02 PM »
Can't help you, only state up here is the confusion caused by a Tory goverment budget.....

Doug

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
Re: What does "Standby Power Rating" mean?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 01:36:49 AM »
A generator rated for "Prime Power" (ie. the main source of power for a given load) is a 24/7 continuous use duty rating.
"Stand-by Power" is just that, and is often a 12, 24, or other hour "surge rating"

Stand-by/Emergency power are often the same things, however there are some varying definitions depending on the application.  (Ie. a standby generator may actually come on when grid power is still on to meet excess demand, and an emergency generator may be an additional generator that controls only "life-critical" loads)

You will often see the same generator rated with Prime/Standby ratings.  The Prime rating is often about 10-25% lower than the standby rating.

See examples of differnt ratings on this spec sheet: http://www.generac.com/PublicPDFs/0169500SBY.pdf

Steve
Power Anand 24/2, Brushless 20kW, some other antique iron.
Vendor of AVR's, Small Clones of Yanmar Diesel and Honda Gasoline Engines