Author Topic: freight company rip off?  (Read 9894 times)

fullspectrumvision

• View Profile
freight company rip off?
« on: August 04, 2010, 07:43:43 AM »
I recently purchased my first Lister a few months ago. I hired a broker freightpad .com for $737 approx weight of 2500lbs. I rarely check my e-mail and two weeks latter I notice I got a e-mail the week after delivery. It says the carrier weighed in at 3170lbs and he wants an additional $475. He e-mails me a pdf of a bill of landing from the previous owner showing 2530lbs but gives me nothing to show his claim of 3170. The previous owner says the only extra weight would be a custom pallet. I haven't responded not being able to have it reweighed and suspecting he is trying to strong arm me after giving the low bid and now trying to making up for it. Now a month latter he is threatening to take me to small claims in sc where he says I'll get a bench warrant and be hauled in by the police. Then he attaches a youtube link of some guy being arrested.

Does any one have experience with freight companies? Does this sound legit?

38ac

• View Profile
Re: freight company rip off?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 01:12:06 PM »
Freight weights are routinely exagerated by the freight companies. There is also some formula they use where as X cubic feet equals X lbs of freight. This is so they dont get caught having to haul a load of very light goods for cheap money, like a load of styrofoam. It could be that the crate was large enough that it became a factor? We have had shippemts stopped at the dock where the P&D guy dropped them off and the frieght Co would call and say you told us X lbs but we are here looking at  X  lbs and need more money to ship. Never had any delivered and then asked for more later. He may be legit in his claim but the way he went about it is all wrong, send him an email back and ask him if he has ever heard of the term "extortion", and further coraspondance will be handed to your lawyer. MY bet is youll never hear from him again. One thing for sure, you dont need to wory about someone showing up and hauling you off to jail in SC over  $400 freight bill.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:15:46 PM »
He is probably referring to the volumetric weight, this is different to the actual weight and takes into account the space occupied by the crate.
Shippers arrive at volumetric weight by multiplying all the dimensions together and dividing by a weight factor which varies from company to company.
Ask him how he arrived at the original quote and specify his volumetric calculation. As said above though, he cannot have you arrested, all he can do is take you to court, but he has to have a valid case for you to answer.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

fullspectrumvision

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:04:22 AM »
I hear what you guys are saying but the dimensions i was given and passed on to him were right on. If this guy were to file a small claim would i really be expected to show up across the country and if i couldn't be subject to a bench warrant? Everyone i talk to says it sounds the e word. At this point I need to reply. His threats come with a friday due date. I would have preferred to know my legal rights 100% before responding. I think he is full of it, and I don't have the money for him, a reweigh certificate, or a lawyer. So i'll just DIY and see what happens. I'll post a conclusion when i know. Btw this guys name is Stone@freightpad.com/ world cargo llc. Beware!

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:30:39 AM »
I can't speak for the USA but in the UK there is no way anyone can be arrested for a dispute over alleged money owed. Even if it goes to court and they won. the worst that would happen is a bailiff would call around to collect the debt or take property to the value of.
Sounds like it's a try on and he's attempting to scare you. If you have a quote in writing and proof of the original shipping dimensions and weight there is nothing he can do.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 02:21:46 PM »
fullspectrumvision my dealings with freight companies has always been positive. That is because I had someone explain to me that having a lighter weight than what the load was could cost in the end. It is very little more to estmate high in the beginning because it gives the carrier to say no in the beginning. If the weight is to low they can tack on quite a large chunk and it is legal. Good luck. I would imagine the worst that would happen is if you lost in small claims court a judgement would be placed on you. They would probably garnish you wage till paid for. The States are so broke they are not going to throw someone in the clink for a few hundred bucks. DD
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 06:31:50 PM »
I just was notified by UPS yesterday that they will not accept responsibility for the damaged Sunny Boy 6000 because the box didn't have the shipping standards stamp on it.  I'm sure SMA is going to build one of the best inverters in the world and then but it in a sub standard box to ship all over the world.  The ripped and crushed box not to forget the tire marks on it are a non-issue because the box doesn't have the stamp on it.  That's on a $500 shipping fee from California to Hawaii. 

And Ebay's "Guarantee only covers the lower 48.  Just ship it back and we'll refund your purchase price.  That's $1000 in shipping when both ways are considered. 

Ahhhh, Paradise!

May their lattes flood the fronts of their laps.

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 09:54:30 PM »
I guess everyone knows if you can afford to live in the RICH STATE you can afford to be treated this way. OK so maybe you didn't see the humor in that. I cannot believe you ran into this especially it being UPS the shipping MOGAL of the industry. My sympathy to you. DD Mike

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 03:09:51 AM »
Hi Mike,

We actually live in a district labeled "Below Poverty" by the Feds.  Throw in a below poverty income and Bob's your Uncle.

It's just a dog eat dog world out there.

I had some stuff shipped FedEx Ground and it arrived here Parcel Post - Almost three weeks.  Priority Mail was $1.60 or so more.  One of the big lessons in Island Living is that the United States Post Office is fantastic.  The best rates and really good service.  The nah-sayers are just wrong.

If you ship with anyone just buy the insurance.  UPS won't even refund the shipping charges.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 03:24:51 AM »
I most graciously apologize. It is just portrayed in Hawaii as the place for the RICH and FAMOUS. I suppose the ghetto is everywhere. It sure is in Dodge City Kansas because I am pretty much located in the center.
I still cant believe UPS would not make it right for you on your package. I have a cross bow I could loan you. It makes no noise and leave no marks to prove who shot someone. NOW THAT IS A JOKE. Thought I better throw that in before NSA comes to see me. Stay well. Mike

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 04:45:45 PM »
Casey,

Sorry about your loss but honestly, I cannot believe that people haven't heard about the horrors of dealing with OOPS and really wonder why anyone would still give them a chance to destroy their precious stuff.  I have been burned by them in the past.  Total destruction of parcels, as well as misdirected.  I absolutely WILL NOT use UPS!
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 07:21:55 PM »
Also sorry to hear of your problems.

I also will no longer ship via UPS under any circumstances.

They pulled a similar stunt on me denying a claim that there should have been no question about.

I should have sued them over it...

Steve

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 07:56:53 PM »
Thanks for your support.  UPS is also pronounced ooooops here as well.  The shipper did not contact me before sticking the inverter in the "mail".  Let's face it; No Insurance on a $4000 inverter kinda reflects on his IQ.

Another interesting fact is that when I called FedEx and UPS shopping for a shipping price they both came in at under $350 but the PayPal shipping label price came in at a reported almost $500.  Now I haven't seen the invoice from UPS but I guess that's my next step. 

Back to topic.

When an agent starts jacking me around I contact the principal.  It's "A POLICY" which seems in the shipping business to be tablet law.  Just like them I have POLICIES.  And few things piss me off more than the threat of a law suit.  "Lawsuit?  Really, that used to be my favorite hobby.  I've gotten my ass kicked a couple of times by pretty low brow people but I still had fun.  For some of us it's the journey that's important and the destination is often anti-climatic."  Hey, it's worked a couple of time.  Crazy people are just given more slack than frightened rabbits which is how I fell they are trying to treat me.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

Horsepoor

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 08:58:07 AM »
Before things get ugly, and he finally figures out you will never pay this extortion bill, why not ask him, politely, to please justify how he arrived at the original shipping figure and then justify how he arrived at the increase. You might send a typed unsigned letter. If later on, what letter, is it signed, I didnt sent that. Anyway, tell him that with proper justification, you are willing to consider paying - not. Knowledge is power, knowing what his offense is will allow you to counter attack or defend any black marks on credit reporting agecies. Plus you will not be blindsided by something you dont expect in the future, you'll know exactly what his claims are based on. After you extrct all usefull information, then thell this jerk to stop his extrotion attempts and all future correspondence will be through your attorney. 
GTC 20/2 down rated to 850 rpm - ST 15
Metro 6/1 800 rpm on cart - ST 7.5