Puppeteer

Author Topic: lister 6-1 startomatic  (Read 11227 times)

Lister Rob

• View Profile
lister 6-1 startomatic
« on: July 28, 2010, 02:27:59 AM »

Hi guys, i have a original lister startomatic 6.1  and am  having trouble in the control box. Before when starting every thing was fine but now the power will not come on unless i take the panel of the control box and push in on the middle round component on top . The component in the book on page 27 is maked N. Can you adjust this relay or do somebody know of a fix for this problem. Thanks guys if somebody can help. Robert.

Bottleveg

• View Profile
Re: lister 6-1 startomatic
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:18:58 AM »
Hello Robert, you refer to a control box. Is this the alternator cubicle or ‘top box’? (mounted on the top of the alternator) or the switchgear control cubicle? (remote mounted).
The only thing I can think of in the top box is the starter contactor. This gives you 24v to the alternator. If you push it in it will activate the alternator.
You should have a reset button, normally on the remote box. Try pushing that in to reset. A common fault is the reset switch trips and then sticks open due to lack of use. They can be taken apart and cleaned.
The units varied over the years and I’m not sure which one you have.

Lister Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 02:06:02 PM »

The control box is the remote one and not on top of the altenator. the model is made in 1957 but i will look for the reset button but do you know what it looks like in understanding what i am looking for. thanks for the info. Robert.

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 03:16:51 PM »
Is this the type of box you have? If not the reset button is probably the same. It's the one on the top left hand side maked 'J'.
On the face it is just a brown push button.

Lister Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 03:05:51 AM »

that is not the control box i have.you take the cover of mine and all the compents are inside. on the top row of components  in the book on page 27 the first compent is called J next is P and the next is N. this one you push in on and everything is fine again.in the book it says the N is called a charge contactor. there is an adjustment screw on this relay but i,m not sure what to do and not sure where the reset button is but i will keep looking tomorrow evening. thanks for the bit of info.Robert.

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 09:00:23 PM »
N is the charge contactor relay which is controlled by an engine speed pair of contacts. It brings in the connection between the dynamo and the battery once the engine has reached a point where there is a higher voltage at the dynamo than the battery.

On reducing speed, the relay drops out so the battery doesn't try and motor the dynamo.

When we did our Ruston setup with the SOM alternator, we replaced that relay with a diode.

Suggest you check the engine speed contacts to make sure they are bringing that relay in.

On ours, the volts come up gradually as engine speed rises.

See this page:

http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/ListerData/SOMMan25.htm

Peter
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:02:23 PM by listerdiesel »

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 09:03:11 PM »
N is the charge contactor relay which is controlled by an engine speed pair of contacts. It brings in the connection between the dynamo and the battery once the engine has reached a point where there is a higher voltage at the dynamo than the battery.

On reducing speed, the relay drops out so the battery doesn't try and motor the dynamo.

When we did our Ruston setup with the SOM alternator, we replaced that relay with a diode.

Suggest you check the engine speed contacts to make sure they are bringing that relay in.

On ours, the volts come up gradually as engine speed rises. I don't think that the rest button exists on the early units.

See this page:

http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/ListerData/SOMMan25.htm

Peter

Lister Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 05:31:46 PM »

I will look for  the engine speed contacts. by looking at the picture it looks like it is at the bottom right of the box. thanks for the info peter.

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 11:57:40 PM »
Engine speed detection switch ES/1 is the micro switch on the engine, by the bottom of the governor linkage and next to the big black fuel control solenoid FSC. You should here it click when you move the linkage by hand. Other problems in this area can be cracks in the body of the switch and the four wires that run from the top box to the solenoid and switch suffer from heat damage.

Lister Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 03:47:36 AM »

i checked that black little switch and it clicks just fine. if the battery was low in voltage with age will that stop the N charge contactor relay from closing. i will keep checking and may come up with something i may have over looked. thanks for the info.

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 01:22:49 PM »
Lister Rob

Have you got a manual for your set. If you have not and you want one there is one available at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Lister_CSOG/
In the files section in the lister cs files section the one you want is called lister_SOM[1].pdf. Its got a very comprehensive fault finding section and a lot of wiring daigrams  which are relevant to your set.
Good luck.
Mick

Lister Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 02:56:15 AM »
 Hi Mick

Yes i have a manual for my 6-1 and will have to take my time and go through it again. i went through all the wiring and components and have not found the problem of the charge contactor, i will keep looking and may come up with the problem. thanks guys for your help. Robert.