Author Topic: Lister cd 1940 genset  (Read 5706 times)

fullspectrumvision

• View Profile
Lister cd 1940 genset
« on: July 23, 2010, 07:52:57 PM »
I recently purchased my first Lister off e-bay. There is still a link under things for sale. It runs but I haven't tested the gen head. I was concerned about running it long before inspecting the guts. Any one have suggestions?

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Re: Lister cd 1940 genset
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:17:45 PM »
Could you put the thread link up to have a look at it ?
If it hasn't been run for a long time there you should follow the pre-start up recommissioning procedure before attempting to start it. This is mainly to ensure adequate lubrication. I don't know the CD procedure, but someone on here should.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 08:25:10 PM »
Our very own rleonard has posted a nice pre-use video of his rebuilt 12/2. I think he has links to the videos under "another rescue engine' thread in the original Lister CS forum.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 08:30:31 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFXEPmYXBIg   This is a link to the video, you may find it very informative. Don't forget to recheck all nuts and bolts for tightness. As was stated lubrication is #1.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:35:28 PM by contaucreek »

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 09:52:57 PM »
Thats a CS though, the OP has a CD.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:20:05 PM »
Roger that Mr Comression Ignition  ;D I was well aware but an engine being an engine Bob gives a good rundown of the general things to look at and felt that it was a good watch for a rookie board member  ;)

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 11:41:04 PM »
I hear you, but I'm pretty sure the CD has a fully pumped oil system and is fully enclosed of course.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 01:13:45 AM »
Just to clarify, is the OP asking about the engine or the gen head? Maybe just the way I read things.

fullspectrumvision

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 01:28:30 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. This engine does have a oil pump with filter. I opened the valve cover checked that the push rods spun easily. Everything looked clean and oily. The dip stick showed full oil and looked clean. I ran it for about ten min to heat it up before I change the oil. When I opened the drain plug the oil came out black and thick. It drained maybe four quarts. javascript:void(0);I don't know if there is oil stuck inside by a blockage or the dip stick read was way off. The manual says it has a seven quart capacity. I've used a sludge cleaner on my truck with good results but am weary on this old girl. The manual says to pull the sump to clean it and the filter. So I started to pull it and the gaskets are completely disintegrated. I know parts are going to be hard I guess I'll just have to make my own gaskets. Does anyone know of any parts suppliers for this engine or if there are parts that will cross over from others? Here is the link to my new baby  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170482782963&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123