Puppeteer

Author Topic: Next question :). Cylinder head face condition quiry.  (Read 2898 times)

Anubis

• View Profile
Next question :). Cylinder head face condition quiry.
« on: July 06, 2010, 09:39:33 AM »
Well, I removed the cylinder head from my new acquisition yesterday (It doesn't take long does it!  ;D )

The top of the piston is (after wiping the gunge off) in perfect condition and the cylinder bore has only the slightest of ridge, and then only at one point. (I can just detect it with the edge of a fingernail a "Deglaze" hone would likely remove it completely!)

However

The face of the cylinder head seems to be somewhat pitted and eroded around the mouth of the injection cavity. At first I thought "Oh Pooh!" but photos I have seen on the web of Lister cylinder head faces suggest that they all look a bit like that.

What is "Normal" on a (Genuine. Not an "Oid") Lister? and if it is not normal, what is "acceptable" (I imagine that as long as it runs OK it is acceptable!  ;)  )  I am used to car/truck cylinder heads where these components are invariably machined smooth with no rough surfaces. 

On another note (though I haven't fully disassembled it yet) the valves seem somewhat receded. I don't imagine fitting new valve seats is too big a problem if it proves necessary (I know an engineering company that routinely does this sort of thing on car cylinder heads, especially on older cast iron ones that have been wrecked by unleaded petrol!)

My Lister service manual suggests that the valve faces should have a recess of betwen 5 thou and 100 thou. I am just wondering if their is any collective wisdom as to what one should aim for (IYSWIM) during a rebuild?

On yet Another note!  There is Sooo much limescale in the water galleries :o.  I am thinking of trying to dissolve it out with kettle descaler unless somebody has a better idea!

Thaks all!

Anubis

contaucreek

• View Profile
Re: Next question :). Cylinder head face condition quiry.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:38:39 AM »
Valve face recession should be .055 to .100 thou. That .005 is a manual missprint that is making its way around.That rough port is just cast correct and not machined ? If your piston crown is good then I don't think it was sucking water but you can take a lick off it if you like just remember your valve recession figures and it will throw your lash out too so don't forget to set all that again !
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire