Author Topic: PCV  (Read 16239 times)

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
Re: PCV
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2006, 07:42:47 AM »
You guys are all so worried about these engines running away on oil, but I have had mine suck up quite a few ounces from the oil bath air filter really quickly when I overfilled it. I was experimenting with oil level after I plugged the hole. I found that on my petter, the oil never even got close to the wire mesh unless I filled it about 1/2 inch over the level of the hole. I thought I would try it on the lister too, but it just sucked it in the intake and spit it out the exhaust all black. It didn't burn any of it as far as I can tell and it cirtainly didn't speed up or sound different at all. I have read many reports about these engines slobbering oil too. I don't know why they don't burn it. Maybe it's because they are so slow, but I don't think you guys have anything to worry about. Any oil that gets into the cylinders on these just seems to come out the exhaust.
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

kpgv

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2006, 08:28:16 AM »
With all due respect, see this post from Doug: Re: Air Filter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, and I can also say for sure that an un-controled fuel source near a Diesel (Backhoe cuts a high preassure CNG line) REALLY SUCKS :o If someone is putting one of these out in a shed away from the House, then whatever, but if it's in the attached garage (my senario), or worse in the basement, this IS something to consider.

Kevin   

Listeroidsusa

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2006, 05:48:37 AM »
Fellows, if your engine is emitting oil fumes the engine needs work! About the only exception is if the oil level is too high. Also the splasher is supposed to be hitting the oil on the narrow side, not the wide side. The oil level shouldn't touch the big end of the rod, only the splasher. If it still is emitting fumes and oil the rings are not seating well. Another thing that sometimes causes oil leakage is the reed valve on the crankcase door. Its purpose is to maintain a partial vacuum on the crankcase to eliminate oil leaks. Many engines will have paint on the reed, preventing it from sealing. Take it apart and clean it, taking care not to bend it. If you still get fumes and oil mists you might need to check the rings. I've never seen anything come out of the GM-90 PCV system, just a couple of puffs of air on startup, then nothing.

Mike