Puppeteer

Author Topic: 10/1 Lovson 5 years expierence.  (Read 10030 times)

millman56

• View Profile
Re: 10/1 Lovson 5 years expierence.
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 11:12:04 PM »
Thats the way to do it,  on the other hand valid comparative fuel consumption data can be obtained from long runs (10 hours per day) using rudimentary instumentation viz :  fuel tank dipstick, hour clock and a clip on ammeter. 

Mark.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 12:02:38 AM »
You need both voltage and current readings particulary on a ST head as the voltage changes with load and RPM changes.  You also need  enough data points to accurately determine an average load and power output during the run.  That was the hardest part of doing the test runs I did with a fixed load.  With a dynamic load, it would really need some kind of recording instrunment to do it properly.  Anything less is just a guess...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 01:14:49 AM »
I have just fitted a Chinese ST 5 to a customers Lister ST1 genset and its awful both in build quality and the way it makes flourecsents flicker due to voltage drop when a load is applied, a similar set with  3.5 KW Brush alternator drops 2 volts with the same load.
My consumption trials are based on a 21 KW 400 volt 3 phase load using an AVR controlled 37KVA set currently driven by a 270 cu inch Perkins engine, this load has been powered by 5 other engine alternator combinations including a 50 KVA set with a  1000 cu inch engine run at 850 rpm,  Running these sets 10 hours a day 6 days a week and measuring the fuel used has to be the best comparative test.    Obviously if I wanted pure consumption figures then this information is readily available but as I am also seeking the best engine regarding its ability to run on alternative fuels without issues and with a reasonable lifespan then my requirements are a bit unusual.

Mark.

mauicole

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 04:27:17 AM »
Except, reality isn't "fixed" ;D
1972 Lister SR1
DES 8/1 w/iron piston & 6/1 cam
1983 Ford F250 6.9L Diesel

selmawp

• When I was young and full off??????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 01:55:43 PM »
Hi overbore, we are using Mobil 1 10/30 with that it made it about 30% easier to hand start in cold wether (20 degrees outside) as for the pulleys we were using 9 x 4 1/2 and now 10 1/2 x 4 1/2.

Hi ronmar, we would honored to have you check out our gen. set. Give me a PM and I will provide with our contact invo.

As for fuel consumption I realise that not every engine will get the same results, that sed I do believe that with some simple mods improvements can be made like port matching and fixing the intake manifold especially. Look at the ports from the 14-1 I am working on it is the worst casting I have ever seen. I will post pix of the the finished ports later. I can't seem to insurt the second pix but you can see what is going on.http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6980&g2_serialNumber=2http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6980&g2_serialNumber=2[/img]