Puppeteer

Author Topic: How much is a new Lisreroid?  (Read 15706 times)

Zagato

• View Profile
How much is a new Lisreroid?
« on: June 26, 2010, 03:08:03 PM »
Can you get these brand new in England and how much would the equilavent model be to a Lister 6-1? 

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: How much is a new Lisreroid?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 04:26:03 PM »
Do you want your listeroid with or without curry?

If you are in england, Id suggest getting a real lister, and rebuild it.  The listeroids are full of troubling little things like fuel tanks that fall off.  Sand in the engine, blocked coolant passages, pre chipped gear teeth.  So in the states, thats about our only choice, unless the Amish farmer next door,  is disposing an old one.

Zagato

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:30:34 PM »
Thanks Mike - chuckle, have heard this and Listeroids now been discounted.  When are we all going to start making them properly again, people will pay for quality now surely  :-\

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 09:19:29 AM »
Doubt that will ever happen !  If I'd been aware of the CS in 1984 when Lister ceased production I would have salvaged all the drawings, patterns and tooling !
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
Not sure who it was but someone did a calculation for the 6/1 SOM. It would now cost £23,000 GBP. And then add in the recent steel price rises......and take some away for cheap modern electronics.

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 07:49:27 PM »
Not sure who it was but someone did a calculation for the 6/1 SOM. It would now cost £23,000 GBP. And then add in the recent steel price rises......and take some away for cheap modern electronics.

Well ,
 They start From USD 400 Onwards in india BTW
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ www.indianlisteroid.com ]
Indian Listers - Research ,Repair And Spares

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 07:30:29 PM »
Doubt that will ever happen !  If I'd been aware of the CS in 1984 when Lister ceased production I would have salvaged all the drawings, patterns and tooling !

Lister would destroy or otherwise make unavailable all their obsolete capital equipment as would any business.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

cgwymp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 09:12:02 PM »

Lister would destroy or otherwise make unavailable all their obsolete capital equipment as would any business.

Maybe, maybe not.  The tooling for the MGB body panels were discovered in a scrap metal yard in the mid 1990s (the B ceased production in 1980) and today you can buy parts up to and including complete body shells, brand new, made on the original tools.....
Listeroid 8/1

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »
There you go. For all intents and purposes the tooling was to be scrapped/destroyed. It was never intended to be used again but was. Lister would never hand over their patent materials or offer the property for sale.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 12:20:23 AM »
Drifting off subject a bit but, going back to my days of rebuilding 60’s 70’s cars. The problem that after market panel manufactures used to have was ‘press tonnage’. None of them had machinery that could exert enough force to produce perfect contours in original gauge metal. So the original tooling may have been obtainable but the vast machines that went with them were lacking. I guess not dissimilar to castings, you can have the right patterns but everything else has to be right too. 

cgwymp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 02:10:12 AM »
There you go. For all intents and purposes the tooling was to be scrapped/destroyed. It was never intended to be used again but was. Lister would never hand over their patent materials or offer the property for sale.

It was neither destroyed nor unavailable.  The fact that it's now in use proves both points. Scrapped is not the same as destroyed.  QED.
Listeroid 8/1

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 02:31:16 AM »
I just have to say that if India wanted to they could make a better product. Their country has made some major advances forward. They have the technology to do it. They just need to be forced to do it. I would suppose in another decade it might happen. Look at China. They are becoming a superpower. They have the technology to do almost anything. There quality would be there if we dictated to them that is what we want. We just need to decide that we are willing to pay for it. The engines could be brought up to Big Brother standards we just have to be willing to pay. Now this does not mean I feel they should be brought up to Big Brother standards because I don't agree with them. BUT it makes no difference if I agree or not, Big Brother is watching and has the last word. I for one believe that if you want to own a fine piece of art which will grow in value then you have to pay. This is why I am willing to go through the red tape that Big Brother seems to think is needed and get some real engines. In the end I will have something that will be around for my grandchildren if they want or will be a good investment for someone to sell.  Just my opinion. Mike  ;) ;)
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

Zagato

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 08:51:10 AM »
It's time some manufacters (in the vehicle spares industry also) that sub-contract the work pay more for the products, so we get a better product at the end of it.

Are "Listeroids" named as such or do they still have the Lister name on them.  I don't want to buy the wrong thing!

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 01:17:51 AM »
check out this guy on the forum. (Amarbir[India) I think he is trying to change the quality of the end product. India has good parts and bad parts. Someone just has to be responsible and only use the quality parts. It will also take someone over there to say to the manufacture of the parts. " We want good stuff and that's it." He might have something going that will change the whole concept of the engines that come from there. Mike  8) 8)
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 09:52:04 AM »

Are "Listeroids" named as such or do they still have the Lister name on them. I don't want to buy the wrong thing!

No, Listeroid is a term coined in the US, in fact it may have even been coined on this forum !  Indian Lister copies are made by a multitude of companies and have many names. Some are better than others, and the quality of all varies. The new Indian member named above has experienced this bad quality as a native of his own country and has resolved to sort it out and supply quality Listeroids. Check out his website.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!