Author Topic: new batch  (Read 4444 times)

spencer1885

• View Profile
new batch
« on: July 10, 2010, 09:41:51 PM »
This hot summer were having in the UK might be a good thing if my Lister is telling me correctly.
Sine I've finished burning the two stroke oil I had I've started burning the next batch of old engine oil I picked up from a couple of garages.
I always remove the compression blanking plug and clean off the carbon from the injector tip before the next run ,but since the hot whether and the next batch of  oil there has been no carbon for over a week and a half.
So I don't know if its the oil or the hot whether?
I am going to reduce the a mount of petrol diesel mix and see what happens.
I am on the look out for a regular source of petrol diesel mix from cars filled up incorrectly and then pump out by people like the AA but I was told by an AA patrol man that it had to go to an authorized company.
Has any one got any thoughts

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: new batch
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 03:35:30 AM »
I was fortunate to pick up 10 gal of RUG/Diesel mix. It seems one of the welders wife's accidentally picked up the green handle. It is being used to the thin the used hydraulic oil that also came from work. I've been dubbed the waste oil guy at work and am getting more than can be used!  ;D The hydraulic oil starts and runs well, however it does leave similar carbon deposits on the injector to what you describe. On my engine the COV plug is difficult to remove and the injector comes out easy so that is how I keep it clean.

Tom
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:25:58 AM »
I always remove the compression blanking plug and clean off the carbon from the injector tip before the next run ,but since the hot whether and the next batch of  oil there has been no carbon for over a week and a half.
So I don't know if its the oil or the hot whether?

You bring up a good point regarding the heat.
Many owners of Listers and Roids do not have a thermostat installed in the cooling system.
Perhaps hotter running (a 190f thermostat) would help reduce carbon when burning WMO or Hydraulic oils ?

On an auto-siphon cooling system without a thermostat, the engine could run cold for a long time. Prime conditions for carbon buildup.

veggie
GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 06:13:31 AM »
There is a 180 f thermostat in mine. I've considered changing to a 190 or 195.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.