Author Topic: Another Rescue Engine  (Read 27015 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Another Rescue Engine
« on: June 08, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »
After nearly a year of patience and waiting, I was able to acquire this 12-2, #5001227 Lister.  This engine shows very little signs of wear and virtually no abuse.  It was installed improperly with a drive pulley at the end of the crankshaft.  With a tight belt, it quickly fatigued and cracked the crankshaft.  It was removed from service and has been sitting ever since.  The former owner was keeping it to restore for his personal collection.  Sadly he passed away suddenly and it never got to achieve his goal.

There are a few missing parts and some things need to be tidied up, but this will make a fine engine.  I should have most of the spares I need.

I believe that someone allowed the keyways to be wallowed out on the flywheels.  They were remachined with taper lock bushings.  Also, I've not seen a Lister flywheel casting with pulley attachment lugs on it before.

After the customary kerosine bath things started to look much better.

Bob

Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Another Rescue Engine
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 01:26:44 PM »
More pictures

End with broken crankshaft

Looking better inside

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 02:44:06 PM »
COOL  ;D   You got your work cutout for ya  :D :D

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 07:06:54 PM »
Hi rleonard,

What a great project.  I'm really glad you found it and not me.  As I read your thread and looked at the pictures I wondered if just maybe this crankshaft was bad the day it was forged.  Nobody is perfect - even Lister.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 12:51:30 AM »
I got the new crankshaft in to the block today.  Bearings perfect, fresh seals and gaskets.  Pistons are fresh and alloy!  They must have been replaced shortly before the engine was pulled from sevice.  Cylinders are perfect and rings like new.  I'll run a hone thru to lightly deglaze and start putting things back together.

I want to put in fresh rod bearings.  Thought I had some in my spares but none there.  Need a HP line too.  Central Marine out but a new batch sitting in customs in NYC.

Bob

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 01:24:36 AM »
Hi Bob. Don't forget to increase your bump height to accomodate the thermal expansion of the alloy pistons. I returned your call and left a msg on your cell  ??? Good to hear from you and nice engine !!!!
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 02:33:46 AM »
Oh and a very very diabolical idea you have there of riggin' up the battery and coil to the crank handle to make a redneck electric starter  :D I like it !!

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 03:10:52 AM »
  Here is Bruce County. The first course of action would be to stick weld that cracked crank without taking anything apart. Then start the engine and hand hold a grinder to smooth out the weld bead.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 03:35:03 AM »
Hi Bruce.  It was well established that the engine had excessive loading at the end of the shaft.  The crank was fatigued (45 degree crack) and much larger when I got the oil seal ring and main bearing off.  I did that by putting the shaft in the press and straightening it so the bearing would slide over.  The end of the crankshaft orbited about an inch at the end before straightening.  A replacement crank was part of the deal.  It is right now and something I don't have to worry about. 

On the other hand, I have a slightly used crankshshaft available....LOL

I got into the heads.  Never seen exhaust ports so clogged with carbon.  Amazing that it could run at all.  Choked off at least 2/3rds of the cross section area.  Now one is nice and clean.  The other on tomorrow.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 03:58:35 AM »
Oh and a very very diabolical idea you have there of riggin' up the battery and coil to the crank handle to make a redneck electric starter  :D I like it !!

HA!  I had just delivered a New Holland that needed battery and coil for ignition.  Had that for the test run. 

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 07:28:35 PM »
Hi Bob. Don't forget to increase your bump height to accomodate the thermal expansion of the alloy pistons. I returned your call and left a msg on your cell  ??? Good to hear from you and nice engine !!!!

Your Pistons expand?

Mine must shrink lol

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 02:56:07 AM »
Not too much done today.  Need fresh rod bearings before setting bump clearance.  Might have them tomorrow.

Specs are different for 6/1, 12/2 compared to 8/1, 16-2.  The 8 and 16 run alloy pistons and run at 850 RPM.  8 and 16 do not have changeover valve so I believe that added space is to slightly reduce the fixed compression ratio. 

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 08:28:32 AM »
The added bump height is certainly provided for aluminum pistons elongating when hot. If your piston is shrinking you should see your Dr.  ;D This engine has been gone through before by the P.O. The 600-650 engines had cast iron pistons only.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 03:17:38 PM »
You are absolutely correct Paul.  I know that the engine was gone thru shortly before the crank failure and obviously alloy pistons were installed.  May have been an availability issue or using what parts were on hand.

I see that vendors are offering two different styled of big end rod bearings.  Standard and steel backed for "heavy flywheel" engines.  Anyone have experience with the two? 

More than likely this had standard OEM Lister bearings installed.  There is metal separation in one place of the bearing.  (will snap a picture later)  Heavy flywheels will be used.

Bob

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 06:37:01 PM »
If your using the heavy flywheels then install the heavy duty bearings, that's what lister specified.
My lister 6/1 generator has heavy flywheels and I fitted new heavy duty big end bearings when I rebuild it.
I believe its only the top sell that's different.
Cheers
Matthew