Puppeteer

Author Topic: EPA sueing PEP BOYs and Baha over chinese motor imports!  (Read 9479 times)

apogee_man

• View Profile
Re: EPA sueing PEP BOYs and Baha over chinese motor imports!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:19:49 AM »
I don't think we will see a ban on parts.

Too many replacement auto parts are made in China.  It would be a nightmare to attempt to sort out which parts to allow and which not...

I also think the large engine suppliers here in the US would fight it tooth and nail.

just my $.02,

Steve

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 08:00:38 PM »
here is the latest on chinese imports from EPA..... 

EPA Voids Certificates Approving Import of Up to 200,000 Small Recreational Vehicles

Agency may levy penalties

WASHINGTON –The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) withdrew its approval of the import and sale of up to 200,000 gas-powered off-road motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles. The agency suspects that tailpipe emissions information was either incomplete or falsified. This is the first time EPA has voided certificates of conformity for these types of vehicles and only the second time the agency has done so for any type of vehicle. EPA is considering an enforcement action under the Clean Air Act, which could lead to significant financial penalties against the businesses that manufactured or imported these types of recreational vehicles.

As a result of a lengthy investigation, EPA is alleging that the applications for the certificates contained false or incomplete information. EPA issued the certificates in 2006 and 2007 to the U.S. counterparts of four of China ’s largest manufacturers of these types of vehicles: Hensim USA ( City of Industry , Calif. ), Loncin USA ( Hayward , Calif. ), Peace Industry Group ( Norcross , Ga. ), and Seaseng ( Pomona , Calif. ). The certificates were issued based on applications compiled by their consultant, MotorScience Enterprise.  EPA believes MotorScience Enterprise intentionally submitted false or incomplete emissions information.

The Chinese manufacturers are Chongqing Hensim Group Co., Chongqing Longting Power Equipment Co., Zhejiang Peace Industry and Trade Co., and Zhejiang Chisheng Industry and Trading Co.

All vehicles imported or manufactured in the United States are required to have certificates of conformity, which are issued by EPA.  To obtain a certificate, a manufacturer or importer must submit an application that describes the vehicle and its emission control system, and provide emissions data that demonstrates that the vehicle will meet federal emission standards for certain pollutants, including nitrogen oxides (NOx) and total hydrocarbons.  EPA’s alleges that this information was falsified.

Because the manufacturers failed to properly test the emissions from their own products, EPA cannot determine whether the vehicles meet EPA emission standards. Without proper emission controls, recreational vehicles can emit substantially more pollution than allowable under EPA standards.

Volatile organic compounds and NOx emissions contribute to the formation of ground-level ozone, or smog.  In addition, exposure to even low levels of ozone can cause respiratory problems, and repeated exposure can aggravate pre-existing respiratory diseases.

The California Air Resources Board, which issued executive orders similar to EPA’s certificates of conformity, has also voided its executive orders covering the same vehicles that were sold in California .   

Today’s action impacts the companies that manufactured and imported these vehicles. A consumer who owns a model that was covered by these voided certificates is not responsible for these companies’ wrongdoing and can continue to use the vehicle.

More information on the recreational vehicles: http://epa.gov/otaq/recveh.htm

R229   

Note: If a link above doesn't work, please copy and paste the URL into a browser.     

View all news releases related to air issues

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:48:58 PM »
If you live in a place with dirty air these actions aren't quite as arbitrary and capricious as they first read.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

dieselman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:12:45 AM »
Meanwhile the rest of the world continues to enjoy the progress of industry without hesitation.

A few (and I emphasize few) unregulated small engines will not change anything to affect this planet.

If we, as a global population, do not turn the planet into a wasteland via a nuclear or other massive means of destruction, our tiny littlle footprint of carbon based fuel usage for a couple hundred years is meaningless with regard to the survival of our species.

Instead of consuming resources regulating this kind of thing, develop ideas to make a change.

500 years from now this will not even be topic of any consequence

Bet I stepped on a few toes.......

Jim

1995 F350 7.3L Diesel
8.3 ISC Cummins
14/1 Lovson (in progress)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 02:07:10 PM »
I almost agree with Jim.  In 500 50 years this will be even smaller potatoes than it is today.  The market place is driven by profit margin not clean air considerations or life dependency or reproduction rate projections for people born today.  Just like safer cars are primarily the result of legislation, higher fuel economy finds much of it's driving force from that same source. 

If there is any constant it is jackasses.  Whether that's found in the big three board rooms maintaining that they can't make it on a level playing field when faced with safer car regulations or higher fuel economy requirements versus over jealous do-gooders applying the letter law to market segments that represent 1% of 1% of 1% of who knows.  One way folks get rules and regulations over-turned or softened is to bring the courts into the discussion.

Leadership is rarely cheap or easy.  We need to come to the realization that the future is super clean fuel efficient power units and chase down that market and make it ours.

I rejoice in the blue skis of Seattle most every time I visit.  Clean air is good.

Casey
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 02:11:25 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245