Author Topic: Suggestions on which transfer switch to buy.  (Read 18439 times)

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
Suggestions on which transfer switch to buy.
« on: May 29, 2010, 08:03:35 PM »
Now that my Listeroid is fully operational and I managed to get it home from the hangar, I am looking for suggestions on which transfer switch to buy.

What do you think about this one?
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgn/R-202019408/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Thanks, Mike.

Stan

Re: Suggestions on which transfer switch to buy.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »
If your local electrical inspector is anything like the ones around here, make damn sure you get his/her opinion in writing before you buy or pay an electrician to install anything like that.  Mine has reversed his opinion on me twice, once after I bought an expensive ($1000) piece of equipment that I had to return.
Stan

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 07:25:35 PM »
If your local electrical inspector is anything like the ones around here, make damn sure you get his/her opinion in writing before you buy or pay an electrician to install anything like that.  Mine has reversed his opinion on me twice, once after I bought an expensive ($1000) piece of equipment that I had to return.
Stan

Stan ,
 Are You People Referring to change Over switch .In India We Have Manual Once ,automatics Are Rarely Used .
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ www.indianlisteroid.com ]
Indian Listers - Research ,Repair And Spares

Stan

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 03:28:15 AM »
No, this wasn't a changeover switch, it was another piece of equipment.  Mostly people here use manual unless they are very rich, then they simply hire someone to do all the work.  ;D
Stan

Chris R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 12:54:11 AM »
Would this work for you?

www.utterpower.com/transfer_switch.htm

Simple and cheap. Does it meet code in your area???

Chris R

Stan

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 03:59:21 AM »
That's exactly what I'm talking about.  A setup like this has some merit, but breakers don't like a lot of switching on and off.  I can guarantee that this type of setup ISN'T mentioned in the BC electrical code, and therefore no inspector is going to approve it.

That may tempt some to just go ahead and do it anyway, however stop for a minute and add up all you spend on fire insurance on your house over the past few years, add that to the cost of rebuilding it, and see how much it will cost you IF you have a fire, for whatever reason and the insurance company sends the local inspector out to check things out and sees this setup.  Insurance companies can automatically cancel your policy retroactively if, for any reason, you have altered the electrical configuration in your house (read the fine print) and it is NOT inspected and that record resides in the files in your local municipal jurisdiction.

Always remember, insurance companies are the biggest form of fraud ever thought of, and they are NOT in the business of providing a service to you, they are only in the business of making a profit.
Stan

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 01:32:48 AM »
Not sure what is, or is not, acceptable per code in my area.  I guess I should find out.

What do the above Generac transfer switches have to do with a Listeroid?  computerized....automatic.....governor control outputs....... I dont get it?

Is there any way to look up local electrical codes on line?

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 01:55:52 AM »
All local codes are based on the NEC.
BioDiesel Brewer

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 11:11:19 AM »
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 01:42:12 AM »
That Briggs branded switch looks  awesome but if I were to use that type of switch it would have to be capable of 200 amps as that is the size of my home breaker panel.

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 05:04:34 AM »
not really, you install a sub panel & move all the loads you want to be powered by the generator to the sub panel, then you only have to have a switch rated for the size of your sub panel. the reduction in cost of the transfer switch should easily pay for the sub panel & more.

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 02:26:48 AM »
That makes sense.  Thanks Scott.

What about this switch?  Price seems right.  http://www.harborfreight.com/200-amp-generator-manual-transfer-switch-42163.html

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 04:00:23 AM »
that's a great price on a 200 amp transfer switch, they should make a 30 amp model also, if thats all the power you can make, why pay for the 200 amp model. the advantage to it would be you could power anything in your house panel from the gen set (given the gen set can handle it) the down side would be the wife can turn on everything in the house & kill your genset windings if it can't. it would also have to be rated as service entrance equiptment & the neutrals & grounds in your house panel would need to be separated as it now becomes a "sub panel"  & this switch becomes your "service"    http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dID=4328  If i did it correctly this link will take you to the ch eaton sit to a page that has part numbers for all their double pole double throw safety switches. the bottom of page 3 has unfused switches & pages 4 & 5 have fused & heavier duty switches. if your not sure about this stuff you should consult an electrician familiar with residential services. you will need adobe acrobat to access this page.
 Thes guys have a 100 amp model for $187.00 http://www.aplussupply.com/gent/midwest/dttrans.htm
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 04:14:33 AM by lowspeedlife »
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

Chris R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 12:40:31 PM »
See if one of these would work

www.interlockkit.com/genelecmain01.htm
Chris R