Author Topic: An Indians Listeroid Project -Yellerator  (Read 51172 times)

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
An Indians Listeroid Project -Yellerator
« on: May 18, 2010, 07:09:16 PM »
Well ,
 First of all i would say a hi to all the members and visitors of this elite forum and the only forum in the world that specially caters to Lister engines .My Name Is Amarbir And I am The north Side of India From a state known for agriculture [ Punjab ] .I Stay and Do business in a city called Chandigarh .Chandigarh is a beautiful city of this state of india and also Punjab States capital .My Main business is computers and electronics and i have a running business in chandigarh for the same .As a background we are basically from the farming community .Since 3rd class i have been doing electronics and computers and i have a deep and analytical mind for mechanics but i have never devoted my time and money on that ever.So this draws the conclusion that i am a newbie into the mechanical world .I Have seen many many hundreds of Lister engines in my home state for doing the following activities .

1 : Drawing water from tube wells
2 : Running a machine Running Chaff Cutting For Cows .
3 : Some folks also use it for generators .

My agenda is Understand this machine and make a generator Called a Yellerator .Well The name is devised Cos My wife is yelling most of the time so that i give her a generator lolz  ;D .The Lister Type engines are slowly being Removed from my home state due to the fact that water level of the ground has gone down and they find other solutions more powerful .People In My state were never able to make proper generators due to the fact that the output of the generated electrcity kept bubbling .I Have taken up the challenge to revive the dying lister slow speed generators and revive the same .I plan to Do The Following .

1 : Understand About these engines
2 : Understand about the alternators
3 : Make a Generator For Myself And Doo All The Modifications I Can Imagine to it And Make it a Dream Generator .
4 : Commercially start Selling The Same To My Known Circle After Demonstrating It To Them What I Have Done .
5 : Help All Budding Lister Engine Fans In My Area And Out Of My Area Do The Same Thing I Have Done From Step 1 To Step 3 or 4 .
6 : Help you People To Get all Spares That You Demand From India .though Gujrat state And Perticularly Rajkot Where These listeriods are made is far away from me its still in india .Also i Am sure Many Many People In India And Perticularly in My state Punjab also keep spares for the same .

There is So Much To Learn From All You People And Also I Need To Spend a Lot Of Time To Read And Experiment For The Same .Intially I Plan To Make a Generator With 5 KVA Load ,All You Suggestions For The Same Is Welcomed .I Have Also Taken A Small Website Called www.indianlisteriod.com So That i Can document All My Project History And Learning That i Do in India Over There And Help Many Young Builders With These Great engines .The Website Should Be Up In This week Sometimes . 

PS :Special Thanks To Andrew Who Activated My Account After i Emailed and Requested Him For The Same .thanks andrew .
Edit : 2:06 AM At Night Indian Time Dated 19-5-2010 .The Website Structure Is now Made ,Cheers ....
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 08:25:45 AM by Amarbir[India] »
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ www.indianlisteroid.com ]
Indian Listers - Research ,Repair And Spares

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
Re: An Indians Listeriod Project -Yellerator
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:30:32 PM »
Welcome Amarbir ! Glad to have you with us ! There are many members here from the U.K. where the listers were made & it is good to have some from where the Listeroids are made too. you can expect questions from the membership about the way the companies that make the listeroids are structured. I'm sure you will have questions too & the people on here are always happy to help.  These are the nicest group of people on the internet.

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:52:59 PM »
Welcome Amarbir ! Glad to have you with us ! There are many members here from the U.K. where the listers were made & it is good to have some from where the Listeroids are made too. you can expect questions from the membership about the way the companies that make the listeroids are structured. I'm sure you will have questions too & the people on here are always happy to help.  These are the nicest group of people on the internet.

Scott R.

Definately ,
    I Am Now In Full Swing In the Learning Process .I would Like People To Send Me Details Of Thier Projects and photos of thier lister engines etc so that i could make one hellof a website .I Have just completed the structure of the website called www.indianlisteriods.com and i would love to take suggestions from all you seniors as to what to add in it ,Yes i understand that many of you are wanting spares etc from India But This will take time from my side as i am a complete newbie when it comes to assemble and dismantle the engine .I Have Extensive Experience In Shipping Abroad As i Run My Own Website Thats a Massive Computer And electronic Store called www.lynx-india.com .I do Not Have Any commercial Interest In Helping anyone Of you To Arrange Spares Once i Get The Hang Of These I Promise you That Till i Remain Spares Would Not Be a Issue IMHO is i Could Arrange And Send You Folks .Here Are My questions

1 : I Would Like To Get Some Books Regarding These engines [ Even Service Manuals ]

Once I Am OK With the Concept I Would Like Your Advice For Buying a Engine .Rajkot Is No Great Shakes As Far As Getting Material from there Is Concerned To My Place .Also Yesterday While Is Was Digging Through The Internet I Found Something Very useful For Many Of There Outside And Inside india .

Rajkot Engineering Association Website - > http://www.reaindia.com/

Cheers Guys And Bombard Me With The Photos , Your Projects Articles Etc .Slowly I will Start Doing the Website ,I Have Also Offered My services Free of Cost Of Making Website To Utterpower As Those Guys have One Of The Most Valuable But Most Non Organized Websites On Earth  ;D   
Regards

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 08:24:14 AM »
Lol ,
 I think i Have Named Lister Clone As Listeriod Though Its Listeroid .Please Correct Me On This As I Have Taken a Domain That Says www.indianlisteriod.com though it should be www.indianlisteroid.com Lolz too Much Excitement Kills The Cat .
Regards

billswan

• View Profile
Re: An Indians Listeroid Project -Yellerator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:37:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum Amarbir

I have always wondered why we have not had some enterprising person from India do exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Sure hope you can make quality replacement parts available to the forum.

The shipping cost will be your biggest problem. Some parts just weigh to much!

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum Amarbir

I have always wondered why we have not had some enterprising person from India do exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Sure hope you can make quality replacement parts available to the forum.

The shipping cost will be your biggest problem. Some parts just weigh to much!

Billswan

Sir ,
 For your Info I Run a computer Store and i Have My Own UPS and Indian Postal Corporate Account .But Selling Yet Is Not In My Book ,Today Evening I did Many Many Things To The Engine Of This Generator .I Want Some Help From You all .

The Engine  :
 The Engine Currently That Moron Has Given Me Is a Old Engine With Turbo Written On It .It Says 14 1000 .I Think It Means 14 Hourse Power And 1 Cylinder .I Have Clicked Many Photos Of The Same And I would Post them All Once I Am Back From a Party As My  Yellerator  [ PS : Wife ] is yelling  .I Have Many Issues With This Engine Yet ,This Does Not Mean I am Not Going To Make Another Engine Yes i Will do That Too .I will post pictures and ask you questions for helping
Regards

Chris R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 01:30:10 AM »
Welcome Ambir,
Andrew helped me get signed up as well. Thanks Andrew.

While you are looking around for Old Listers in India, see if you come across any Lister VA's. These are an air cooled version of the Lister 8/1. Many parts are the same, but some are different.

The cylinder Liner has air cooling fins
The injector has a fined collar. An Aluminium jacket. I think the injector is the same.
The head is different
That is about it for the important parts

The Lister guys here in Abaco in the Bahamas are looking for these parts. If there are any running VA's in India, where are they getting these parts?

Thanks,

Chris R

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 11:49:15 AM »
Welcome Ambir,
Andrew helped me get signed up as well. Thanks Andrew.

While you are looking around for Old Listers in India, see if you come across any Lister VA's. These are an air cooled version of the Lister 8/1. Many parts are the same, but some are different.

The cylinder Liner has air cooling fins
The injector has a fined collar. An Aluminium jacket. I think the injector is the same.
The head is different
That is about it for the important parts

The Lister guys here in Abaco in the Bahamas are looking for these parts. If there are any running VA's in India, where are they getting these parts?

Thanks,

Chris R

Well ,
 Hello Chris Well I Would Really Appreciate If You Could Gimme Some Photo Of These engines I Will Try My Best .
Regards

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 01:09:01 PM »
Hi ,
 Lets Start With the Project Now .First of All My New Website is Ready With A Proper Domain www.indianlisteroid.com .The Progress Of The Project is Gonna Be Here And There Both Places .

The Need And Frustration

Well As i Stay In a Small Town Of Punjab ,India usually has no power in even the best of the best places when they do load shedding .Now my wife has a small enterprising business and she wanted a generator .I Found a Person Selling Generators Very Close By And Went To Him For Advise I Wanted something That Not Very Noisy And Consumes Very Less Fuel ,Well He Suggester a Lister engine And I Never Knew What Lister engine Is Until i When To His Place When he was making one.To My dismay this fellow has taken a old generator from some field in my state Punjab and was refurbing it .Damn i was like pretty pissed up ,Anyways i though that might be they are experienced in this and it would not pose any issues .When They were testing the engine at thier factory it was jumping like mad and they told me that once its grounded in concrete this will not be the case . Though Now i Understand After reading the forums that its totally unbalanced .But i do not have a idea yet how to solve that issue .Anyways he suggested some Vibration pads under the iron frame .Well I Can Proudly Say That every Damn Part In This Generator is a piece of crap .I though that He might be saying the truth And Once It reached My House and I Mount It It Works Fine [ HOW WRONG I WAS ] .As Soon As This System Was At Home And Mounted On The Vibration Pads And Screwed Up Nice And Tight The Generator did Not Perform the Way It Should ,The Engine Has TURBO Written On It And is a 14/1 engine To Run a  Mere 5 KVA Alternator [ This engineering company who supplied me this setup is weird ] .The Engine is Definitely Not Balanced And the Governor Does Not Do Its Job When the engine is on or off load .Here is the pic of this generator

Direct Link
http://i47.tinypic.com/28sm2vp.jpg

So As I Do Not Know What He Has Put And What He Has Not i am thinking Or Returning The Same Back To The Company And Then Get a New Engine And Alternator And Make My Own Generator .I Would Like To ASk You As To What Brand And What Model I Should Take And also My Initial Load Requirement is 5 KVA .Remember I Am In India and I Am On 240 Volts And Not As Privileged  As The 110 Volt Users .I Would Also Like To Make Another Generator After i Make this Yellerator .Suggestions Please

Regards

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 03:15:01 PM »
hi ,
 Can someone suggest Me Some Reading Material For Lister Type Engines and alternators for The Same  ? .
Regards

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 05:13:09 PM »
Hello Amarbir , welcome to our world !  For a historical perspective on the Lister CS I would suggest the Lister CS Story by David Edgington , a world authority on these engines. For practical information I would suggest the Utter Power website , his CD ROM is of particular value , http://www.utterpower.com/
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 05:17:38 PM »
Hello Amarbir , welcome to our world !  For a historical perspective on the Lister CS I would suggest the Lister CS Story by David Edgington , a world authority on these engines. For practical information I would suggest the Utter Power website , his CD ROM is of particular value , http://www.utterpower.com/

Hello Compig ,
     Is There a Website Or Pointer Where i Can Read CD Story By David Edgington .
Regards

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »
Hmmmmmm,

Why does the back of my neck itch?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 05:32:04 PM »

Hello Compig ,
 Is There a Website Or Pointer Where i Can Read CD Story By David Edgington .

You cannot read it online but you can order the book from the authors website , http://www.stationaryenginebooks.co.uk/listercs.htm
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 05:33:52 PM by compig »
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 05:39:13 PM »
Hmmmmmm,

Why does the back of my neck itch?

Casey

Sir ,
 How Does a Poor Mortal Like Me Know ,I Am Not doctor
Regards