Puppeteer

Author Topic: problem with fieldmarshall  (Read 10263 times)

mikern

• View Profile
problem with fieldmarshall
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:44:35 PM »
Hi All. I've posted a couple times about our new off grid exerience, got a ? tonite.. We shut off the FM for oil check and sunday is laundry day,so we do that with the grid, we went to restart the FM and it has no, zero, compression. it shut down nomally, all fluids are good. I'm leaving for work now, and the boys are pulling off everything attached to the head so I can pull that in the morning. Before I do that, are there any suggestions about the problem or fix? I'd appreciate any ideas, thanks Mike

potter

• View Profile
Re: problem with fieldmarshall
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:17:06 PM »
Id try a sharp tap on the valves might only be a bit of carbon not letting them seat. ???

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:05:31 PM »
Mikern
When you crank it over you should be able to hear the leak, if it was carbon holding open a valve you should hear the leak in the intake or the exhaust.

If the rings were stuck or no oil on them you might listen to the crankcase for the sound, remove the reed valve and listen there as someone cranks it with the decompression off. Pull the injector and add a squirt of oil then reinstall injector if you think the rings are leaking.

Are you sure the valve clearance is set correctly?

Head gasket blown? Should have water leaking out if that happened.

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 11:28:12 PM »
Hey Mike, I second what potter and billswan said!  Correct diagnosis is a talent that comes in very handy for engines, and other things too  :P !  For me it works well to go slow and observe (see,feel listen) what is going on as you rotate the engine.  Do the valves go up and down, injector creak, air go in and out the correct ports at the right times, etc.  I check everything I can and usually have a theory of what's wrong before I start taking something apart.  At least these engines are so simple that it is a sure bet you can get them running again no matter what went wrong!  Good luck!       Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

mikern

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:32:48 AM »

Thanks for the tips guys,I'll get off in about 2 hours and will try them to see what happens. I probably jumped the gun when I had the boys (son in law & grandson) pull of the rad, intake and exhaust, got pushed for time, oh well, live and learn I hope. I'll keep you all posted, thanks, Mike

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 08:02:59 PM »
I would also look closely at the compression release just to make sure it's not holding the valve open when it's supposed to be in run mode.

mikern

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 01:36:49 PM »
We tried bout everything to get compression back, no luck, so went ahead and pulled the head off.The first surprise was the injector, it was carbon caked! the exhaust valve and piston top also had a pretty decent build up of carbon,, bore looked beautiful, not the slightest ring ridge. so were cleaning up/grinding the valves today, and hopefully back together tonight or in the morning. I did some figureing, closest guess is the the FM has about 2800 hours of pretty steady running. The only thing is has ever burned is WVO.  I;ll keep everyone posted on pregress, thanks, Mike

Chris R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 01:18:45 AM »
Stuck Valves.

This is what I have done when I have a sticky valve problem and have to get my Lister VA back online ASAP. This is when just tapping on the valve does not work.

Take off the rocker arms. Tap the valves (With the caps on), while spraying with WD40, Liquid Wrench, diesel, kero, or what ever you have. Once you get some movement check for compression by cranking the crank shaft very slowly. Just check for compression, don't crank through. If still leaking air, (Still stuck), normally through the exhaust valve, I do a "In the bush" valve job. Attach an electric drill to the valve stem. Push down on the valve to open, Spay the valve stem with what ever oil you have and try to get the oil to run down between the valve stem and guide, push up and down on the drill a couple times, with the drill running, keep spraying oil, then and check for compression again. A couple goes with this method and problem solved.

"In the bush" decoke. Dribble kerosene in the intake, very carefully to avoid over speed, and be ready to use the decompression release if needed. Keep dribbling kero until you have run about half a cup of Kerosine through the engine. Kerosine helps cut through the carbon build up. I usually follow up doing the same thing with a couple cap fulls of Marvel Mystery Oil.

Good luck,

Chris R

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 03:00:42 PM »
"In the bush" decoke.
 Dribble kerosene in the intake, very carefully to avoid over speed, and be ready to use the decompression release if needed. Keep dribbling kero until you have run about half a cup of Kerosine through the engine. Kerosine helps cut through the carbon build up. I usually follow up doing the same thing with a couple cap fulls of Marvel Mystery Oil.   

Isn't kerosene about the same as diesel, but no lube quality ??? 

I thought a fog/mist/spritz of water, and running a pint thru a hot engines intake over several minutes was a good alternative to steam cleaning the chamber.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 03:50:58 PM »
I've had good luck with the MMO too.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Chris R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 09:59:44 PM »
For some reason kerosine cuts through the carbon build up and is what the original Lister manuals say to use (Parafin oil). Kero cuts right through the diesel/oil scum that builds up inside the crank case.

Chris

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 05:02:58 AM »
Loctite gasket Chisel will remove anything that sticks to the head or piston...
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

mikern

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 02:26:33 PM »
The Fieldmarshall is up and running again as of last night. Took new valve guides and a valve job, and FOREVER at the local machine  shop. I'll start doing the water injection weekly and hopefully avoid this happening agian. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, Mike

Chris R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 11:44:28 PM »
Mike,

Glad to hear you are up and running,
Chris

Oiler

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 10:26:02 AM »
When my 6/1 lost compression at about 1300 hours, i had to get it started and tryed a propane torch.Got it going and gave it a small amount of propane for about five minutes.
After running for  six hours it was shut down. Next day it started at once with full or nearly full compression. Added a little propane again for five minutes and it has now done 700 huoers with no problems and still has planty of compression.

1962 CS 6/1 for cutting firewood.
Armstrong Siddley AS1 for sale.

1937 Lister D

1918 Lister L