Author Topic: injectors  (Read 4578 times)

torquemada

• View Profile
injectors
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:59:31 PM »
Am i right in thinking that the injector rod that connects the injectors on the twin cylinder engines,that it is correctly set with both injectors in the closed position?
i've had to fit decent ends to the rod as the free play was so bad it would only run on one cylinder.........cheers........keith

ronmar

• View Profile
Re: injectors
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 04:32:20 AM »
I am assuming that you meant the actuator rod between the injector pump racks?  The rack from each pump should be in the same position.  But this dosn't necessarilly mean they are delivering the same ammount of fuel to the injectors.  Getting them to deliver the same ammount of fuel is the goal.  Short of some special tools, you could listen for injector noise with a mechanics stethescope and try and balance fuel delivery that way.  Another way might also be to disconnect the injector lines at the injector and have thrm empty into matching graduated containers. Then open the racks and crank the engine over so you get an equal number of injector firings.  Then compare the actual ammount of fuel delivered out of each injector pipe...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 01:16:58 PM »
In addition to Ronmar, there may be other issues as well.  Pump timing, injector pop pressure (and so the spray pattern may be different), compression ratios (bump clearance/valve seat condition) may all be awry - one can never tell.  They may each have a small effect but they can accumulate into a significant difference between the cylinders.  An IR thermometer on the exhausts, when under load, may well give a good indication of balance between the cylinders.

Regards, RAB

torquemada

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 04:54:16 PM »
ok guys thanks...i've had the engine from brand new...its got 1hour on it,and its never run right since i got it....
i wouldn't buy another one....i would just go yanmar...turn the key and forget about it!!
the company i got it from were a complete waste of time...i'll never by anything from them again....not as long as my ass points downwards...:)

Stan

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 09:25:29 PM »
Just wait a few years, your ass will point down more every year  ;D
Stan

torquemada

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 08:17:13 PM »
tell me about it Stan ;D