Puppeteer

Author Topic: Stuck governor?  (Read 19597 times)

Bottleveg

• View Profile
Re: Stuck governor?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 09:15:36 PM »
Problem solved. I soaked the area in penetrating oil overnight and managed to free it all up from inside the engine, so all is moving freely as it should.
The engine is now running at a much lower speed, a lot quieter and regulated by the governor.
Thanks all for the advice; I’ve now learnt some more about these wonderful engines.

It is good that you got to the root of the over speed problem; That is not to be trifled with.

I have to be the Grinch here a bit though. My concern is that the roller on the inside lever will be seized. That appears to be "not broken" so why fix it, but if it is not rolling freely it will quickly flat spot where it contacts the collar and lost motion in the linkage then starts to develop prematurely.

I can see the roller on a drawing I have. I think you have a good point. I freed and removed the fuel pump tappet and the roller on that was also seized.
I’m in no rush to get the engine generating, I was just happy to get it running normally for five minutes to access the noise situation, so I’ll take your advice and remove the cover ext. before further use. It will be interesting for me to do the job anyway as I understand the working of things better if I can physically see them.
Thanks again.

billypurves

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 06:56:03 PM »
Hi Mark,  If you need any parts for your engine try this guy. He gave me some excellent service,although parts are made in India they are very good quality.

www.stationaryengineparts.com

regards Bill.

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 12:56:45 AM »
Hi Mark,  If you need any parts for your engine try this guy. He gave me some excellent service,although parts are made in India they are very good quality.

www.stationaryengineparts.com

regards Bill.

Thanks Bill, I’ll bookmark that. Two things I need to get are the small bolt plugs (main bearing oilers). I had to knock a ring spanner over mine to get them out, no chance with a screwdriver. This type would make more sense to me-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brass-Flip-Top-Oiler-for-Lister-D-Stationary-Engine_W0QQitemZ130382425392QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL?hash=item1e5b65ed30

A water thermostat and housing is also on my list.

Mark.

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 08:17:35 PM »
Problem solved. I soaked the area in penetrating oil overnight and managed to free it all up from inside the engine, so all is moving freely as it should.
The engine is now running at a much lower speed, a lot quieter and regulated by the governor.
Thanks all for the advice; I’ve now learnt some more about these wonderful engines.

It is good that you got to the root of the over speed problem; That is not to be trifled with.

I have to be the Grinch here a bit though. My concern is that the roller on the inside lever will be seized. That appears to be "not broken" so why fix it, but if it is not rolling freely it will quickly flat spot where it contacts the collar and lost motion in the linkage then starts to develop prematurely.

I can see the roller on a drawing I have. I think you have a good point. I freed and removed the fuel pump tappet and the roller on that was also seized.
I’m in no rush to get the engine generating, I was just happy to get it running normally for five minutes to access the noise situation, so I’ll take your advice and remove the cover ext. before further use. It will be interesting for me to do the job anyway as I understand the working of things better if I can physically see them.
Thanks again.

Looking at this again, would it be possible to leave the flywheel on and withdraw the cover sufficiently to check/free the roller? Also, I notice from the drawing that the oil pump tappet has an ‘end-pin’ on it. Should this also revolve and could it be stuck? Can the tappet and pin be withdrawn from the cover with the oil pump removed?

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 10:50:16 PM »

Looking at this again, would it be possible to leave the flywheel on and withdraw the cover sufficiently to check/free the roller? Also, I notice from the drawing that the oil pump tappet has an ‘end-pin’ on it. Should this also revolve and could it be stuck? Can the tappet and pin be withdrawn from the cover with the oil pump removed?

Sooner or later you are going to need a gib key puller anyway, lol! There are a number of different designs floating around. I dont believe the pump cam follower has a roller but frankly I am drawing a blank on it as I did not have it out of the end cover housing.  My drawings do not show the detail of it.
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 11:50:11 PM »

Sooner or later you are going to need a gib key puller anyway, lol! There are a number of different designs floating around. I dont believe the pump cam follower has a roller but frankly I am drawing a blank on it as I did not have it out of the end cover housing.  My drawings do not show the detail of it.

Ah, you’ve sust me out! I don’t have a gib key. I can get a loan of one but, TBH, I’m a bit scared of breaking it and ending up buying two. Flywheel removal would be a better idea. I’ll put it down as my next job after the 10” thick walls on the engine shed.

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 11:53:12 PM »
Well I’ve finally found time to have a look. The roller is stuck and has a flat spot on it so, it has been stuck for some time or they wear very quickly. Also found that the oil pump spring is in two halves so it was well worth investigating.