Author Topic: Hz issue and what will 4000watts run?  (Read 15770 times)

xyzer

• View Profile
Hz issue and what will 4000watts run?
« on: April 04, 2010, 08:33:58 PM »
I picked up a EA500-NB Kubota the other day. I have pretty much sorted out the oil puking breather issue and am in the process of replacing a leaky seal on the manual crank start shaft. It is a super good runner and of obvious better quality than the other imports.

So as I am becoming more confident of the engine I am planing on adding a 12 volt alternator to charge batteries at our offgrid ranch. My only requirement for 220 volts is a 1/2hp submersible well pump and occasional my wife's hair dryer. I put a Kill-a-watt on it and it says one side is near 60 Hertz and the other is around 40-45 Hertz. It will operate lights and heaters fine but I don't want to do in my pump! What might be the cause of this? If it will start my pump (the capacitors are topside) and run it I will look into fixing it. My 6/1 oid w/st-5 will run our 3/4hp pump here at the house with no problum so I'm assuming it should handle the 1/2hp no problem.  I want to keep the unit as light as possable and a new ST 5 or ST 7.5 will add much weight and size to the assembly.
Any thought will be appreciated! I have a picture of the faded label but there is nothing really there that is new. I know it is 1800rpm 60Hz 120v 220v here is a pic.

Thanks Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

M61hops

• View Profile
Re: Hz issue and what will 4000watts run?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:31:53 PM »
Woa... are you saying that one 120V leg is running at 60Hz and the other 120V leg is running at 40-45Hz both at the same time  ??? ?  That should be impossible  :o !  What kind of frequency meter are you using and how are you connecting it?  If you connect the frequency meter across the 220V terminals what does it read both loaded and unloaded?  If I understand what you are saying there is a real mystery here!  Cool motor in any case, what horsepower and bore & stroke is it?  Could you post a few moere photos?                                     Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:05:29 PM »
Leland,
I am checking the hertz one leg at a time with a Killawatt. I have no way to check them combined. I am not much of an EE to even have a clue what that means or what could be the cause of if it, or how big of a problem it is. I'm sure it is not right! Yes on the pictures! It is much cleaner now and I figured out why it was intermittently puking oil out the breather tube…..to much oil!  It is a Kubota EA500-NB apparently it and the Yanmars are what the Chinese copied. It is 12hp@2400rpm. I'm not sure of the other specifications. I am waiting for a service and parts manual. A search of the web turns up a big zero on information.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:14:47 PM by xyzer »
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Z482 KUBOTA

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 11:36:03 PM »
Since the frequency of the output is a function of the number of poles and the RPM of the generator shaft both legs have to be the same  :P !  There must be something screwing with the way the Killowatt reads the Hz?  Maybe the sine wave is distorted on that leg for some reason.  I would get an induction motor or two, a 120V and a 220V and try them, hopefully with a way to check their running RPM; plug them in and see how they act, if the Hz is really off that much you should notice the motors acting strange  ??? .  What is that black thing in the middle of the oil fill plug, a level indicator?  Also what is the valve and hose hooked into the intake for, starting fluid?  Looks like a well made engine, is it noisy?  I need the quietest diesel I can get and so far a 6/1 Listeroid is the least noisy diesel engine I have heard so far.  Also I would be curious to know what brand and where the generator was made, and to see how it is excited and if it has brushes or not.  And you might consider just using a battery charger run off the AC if the generator turns out to be OK?  However it has been my experience that battery chargers don't always work quite right when run from generators, I'm not sure why.  I think smallish generators have a little trouble running inductive loads because the inductance of the generator interacts with the load in ways that don't work out so well.  Just my $.02 and worth at least half that  ;) !  Good luck with your toy Dave!                                                     Leland

shipo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 12:57:38 AM »

Dave.....did you received my message in  the other site.....
Changfa 195/10k
Changfa 170R

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 01:00:21 AM »
If that gen head doesn't work for you and you are looking for small and light, I'd look at one of the PMG heads like utterpower or georgia generators.
They are much smaller than a similar sized ST head.
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 03:22:45 AM »
  What is that black thing in the middle of the oil fill plug, a level indicator?
  Also what is the valve and hose hooked into the intake for, starting fluid?
  Looks like a well made engine, is it noisy?
  I need the quietest diesel I can get and so far a 6/1 Listeroid is the least noisy diesel engine I have heard so far.
  Also I would be curious to know what brand and where the generator was made, and to see how it is excited and if it has brushes or not.
  And you might consider just using a battery charger run off the AC if the generator turns out to be OK?                                                     Leland
Leland,
The plug is a dipstick.
The hose is connected to a small priming pump, the white knob..below it is an oil preassure indicator....you open the valve give it a few pumps to prime (still learning when and how much!) close the valve and start.
It is noisier than my 6/1 but also has twice the power. It is not bad but still makes its share of noise.
I want to go with the alternator for several reasons. I can run both the pump and charge batteries at the same time and a 100amp charger is not cheap.

Here is a picture of the label. The picture views better than my naked eye. Maybe you can see or recognize the name. I was told on the other site it was sold by Granger under the Dayton name.

Dave.....did you received my message in  the other site.....

Shipo,
Yes I did or at least the most important question about what the full model number was.(the site is down now I guess) I have ordered a parts and service manual and also found the cause for the oil puking breather...to much oil! I will be on a parts mission for the seal that is on the hand crank start shaft. It appears someone tried to replace it with the wrong size…another oil leak to fix.    Thanks shipo!

If that gen head doesn't work for you and you are looking for small and light, I'd look at one of the PMG heads like utterpower or georgia generators.
They are much smaller than a similar sized ST head.

bschwartz,
I have considered that option but I only have $300.00 dollars in it so far and to strap a $600.00 PMG on it makes it even more valuable. It will be going to our off grid ranch to charge batteries and pump water.....it hasn't been robbed yet but I would hate to loose it with a good head on it!

Thanks guys!
Dave
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:30:02 AM by xyzer »
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Z482 KUBOTA

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 12:21:52 PM »
 the name ENERGX corp.

Winco (Energx Corp) is located on 225 South Cordova Avenue in the City off Le Center the zipcode is 56057 in the state of MN and the phone number to Winco ...
is (507) 357-6821.  ;D ;D

http://www.wincogen.com/winco_pdf_files/winco_4ks4pc-3-a_b_parts_list.pdf
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:52:26 PM by wrightkiller »

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 01:57:18 PM »
Thanks wrightkiller!
Now that I know what it says I can see it!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Z482 KUBOTA

wrightkiller

• View Profile

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 01:29:42 AM »
plug a 700watt or so load into each 120 outlet at the same time, insert the killowatt in each leg and see how each leg looks under load. Quartz floods are nice cause then you have a visual as well
I suspect one of the poles is malfuntioning. check brushes and communtator rings for good contact. Look for burn't wires and do a sniff test. the rotor can be either the field or the output, most of the time the field rotates and the output is taken off the fixed windings. Look at the fixed windings and connections most carefully. Have fun
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
Great find Dave, I like Kubota's little details!  I bet that the Changfoids are a copy of these.  Good luck with it, I think you'll gwet the generator sorted!                      Leland

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 04:23:02 AM »
Well it has been a summer and a winter and I finally got my on the cheap remote camp battery charger/generator plan coming together. I found out the blow by was an over full condition. The manual says this larger engine uses more oil but if I run it until it quits puking I am at the smaller engine series capacity. I have replaced the oil seal on the crank handle shaft and that is fixed. In my trial runs I have discovered it has a fair leak from the crankshaft under the flywheel. I made a puller and wrench and removed the flywheel to replace the fan belt. I waffled on fixing the seal but have decided to pull the flywheel back off and just do it. It looks like O-rings are the leak problem and the seal doesn't appear to leak but I'm sure I can get one.  As you can see I have added a Leece Nevell alternator and a new frame to handle it all. I used an 8 rib automotive belt to drive it all. I have the engine speed set at 2100 rpm at 60 Hz and seems to do well. Next I will tear down the generator head and check for any issues. The receptacles are worn out and I will probably use a 20amp twist lock on a cord to connect to my ranch system and mount a couple of 110volt receptacles with a killawatt stuck in one. I have no way to set my RPM without guessing for 60 Hz. I will probably just use a volt meter for my 12 volt alternator. Looking around it is not cheap to find an 150 amp meter that is of reasonable cost.

Here is a pic of it so far

And a movie ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cExllSx6iqU
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:29:24 AM by xyzer »
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Z482 KUBOTA

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 04:58:38 PM »
Dave, I don't know if the Kubota throttle is the same as my S195, but what was done on mine was to put a bolt in the slot to stop the throttle at the correct spot. Another option, since you are near max rpm's anyway is to adjust the governor so RPM's are right on at full throttle.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 05:07:45 PM »
Tom,
I was thinking of the bolt for a throttle stop same as you. I haven't played with the governor setting because I don't have much literature on the engine and wasn't real sure to how that is done. I like the bolt idea....
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Z482 KUBOTA