Puppeteer

Author Topic: fuel pump heating  (Read 7197 times)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
fuel pump heating
« on: March 30, 2010, 08:07:12 PM »
Any thoughts about heating the fuel pump?  Maybe with a tube (copper) run from the exhaust pipe (a couple turns around the pipe) and follow injector line down to fuel pump to heat the pump, and it's fuel, and then back to the exhaust pipe. I don't know if synthetic oil would thermosyphon itself, or what.

bschwartz

• View Profile
Re: fuel pump heating
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »
I think the mass of the engine crankcase would wick away any real heat from the pump.  I have my veg go from the tank to the pump via copper line wrapped around the exhaust to preheat it to get it thinner for the pump to handle.  I then use a 12v line heater wrapped around the injection line to raise the heat again before the injector (which probably wicks some away itself).
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

Dursley Dan

• Dursley Dan
  • Burning issues, Hoping to give something back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 05:18:03 PM »
If you set up a duel fuel arrangement I.E. Stop the engine on Diesel / Bio then a simple exhaust winding and pre filter will do the job for veg oil (even for really bad veg oil.)
Google  'Westbury CHP' or 'Dansonthetube' to see how we tackled the problem.  :)
The secret is to bang the rocks together guys!
Failing that, Consalt the experts at listerengine.com

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 07:58:42 PM »
I do a startup/shutdown on diesel.  I'm beginning to wonder how important it is to use the 12v line heater?
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

Dursley Dan

• Dursley Dan
  • Burning issues, Hoping to give something back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:57:12 AM »
I agree, always keep it simple if you can.

So long as the fuel is Hot, Clean & thin when it hits the Pump, it wil stay that way on its short journey through the injector pipe.

:)
The secret is to bang the rocks together guys!
Failing that, Consalt the experts at listerengine.com

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 02:53:10 PM »
When I have finished with my hauling trip I plan to try my idea of heating the large tank I have for WMO. I have an opening cut into the top of the tank with weld nuts inside the tank so another panel can be sealed and secured. I also have two fittings welded on each end of the tank which will take a 1/2 flare nut fitting. I plan on winding a spiral with 1/2 copper and connecting it inside the tank with it hooked to top or hot portion of the water outlet. Just below the fuel tank I will mount an aluminum radiator and let the exit fitting free flow into it before it re enters the engine in the bottom. When the entire system is shut down there will be just enough water to fill radiator so there wont need to be a problem with water running over and it wont need pressure to keep it from leaking. When this is done I have someone intrested in it and if they decide not to buy it it will be on the market sine I have a CE that I bought from UK. I decided since I have been working on a CE one for someone else I wanted one for myself. Mike
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.