Puppeteer

Author Topic: How about Crude Oil  (Read 14889 times)

swedgemon

• View Profile
Re: How about Crude Oil
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 07:51:07 PM »
#6 Fuel Oil varies greatly in specific gravity and in how clean or dirty it is...serious filtration is required before going thru a diesel injection system.  Getting rid of the asphaltines (small-to-large lumps of "tar") from the filtration or centrifuge system can be a major landfill problem.  The engine must be started and shut down on #2 FO and the #6 FO must be heated to about 150-180 degree F to get it to flow well and burn correctly.

I'd stick with #2 FO, used hydraulic oil, used ATF, used veg oil, used motor oil, etc.

Swedgemon
GM-90 6/1
Somewhere in Kentucky

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 11:42:42 PM »
Asphaltines eh?

I love learning esoteric new vocabulary. 

Not bragging here, but I have a pretty good and well rounded vocab.

You guys have added to that more and faster than any other venue in a long time.

That IS a compliment.

finest regards,

troy

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 12:44:29 AM »
Take that 1000 gallons of energy!
You will figure out how to use it one way or the other! Blend/heat/filter/ or use it in the fireplace to start the logs....whatever. Energy = $. About $3000 by todays prices, which is not a bad day's work.
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

Bikerbob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 07:47:52 AM »
Take that 1000 gallons of energy!
You will figure out how to use it one way or the other! Blend/heat/filter/ or use it in the fireplace to start the logs....whatever. Energy = $. About $3000 by todays prices, which is not a bad day's work.

I'll go for that! Grab it, and make use of it, one way or another!

Just have to figure out a way of pumping the stuff... It is sitting in a cold (12 degrees C, about 53F) tank...
Giver says it's like "really slow flowing"...
No, heating the tank is not an option... Or maybe I have to...

Filtering is already identified as being a major task.
On the other hand, there is no such thing as a free lunch...

Starting and stopping on normal diesel (Sulphur free, 0,001% sulphur is STANDARD here in sweden for road vehicles!).
Running the Listeroid on a blend of Diesel, #6 fuel oil, Biodiesel and used engine oil... Probably I need a shed full of tanks, valves, filters and pumps to do it, but hey, it's free...  :P
No, but seriously, 20-50% of #6 feels like it can be within reason.

Just have to figure out how to pump the stuff...  :-\
Your mission impossible:
Upgrade Low-tech to Hight-tech, adding nothing but No-tech...

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 10:37:49 AM »
Hi I dreged up a memory of steam lines going to an underground tank to heat the bunker oil so it would flow and be pumed to the burners in a school I attended once. alomst like an aspalt plant. A loong time ago ;D
anyway here is a site that claims good results for their product for bunker oil.

http://www.priproducts.com/index.htm

I know some crudes are a lot nicer than the bunker oils. I think useing crude is pretty much an individual thing. What will be required iis dependant on the field supplying the oil.

Dennis
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 10:40:49 AM by dkwflight »
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

Doug

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 07:03:02 PM »
I remeber one time years ago my boss got his hands on some Bunker C fuel oil.
The idea was we could run it threw the cracking pots and make lighter fuel oil out of it.

It was like glue, and we warped the floor pot trying to get it toflow and crack lol......

Doug

swedgemon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 03:38:25 PM »
Bunker C (#6 FO) is what is left over at a refinery after all of the desireable hydrocarbons have been stripped out of the crude.  At some refineries they have #6 FO as the end of the process...at other refineries they have "coker" units, where they crack off every last liquid hydrocarbon, leaving "coke", which looks like charcoal (nasty charcoal).  That coke is sold to power plants, cement plants and other various industries as solid fuel to be mixed with coal, or is further refined and sold to aluminum plants as carbon anodes.

Getting back to the #6 FO, the previous comment about some crude oils, right from the well head, are much better fuels than #6 FO, is valid. 

For reference, the typical 42-gal barrel of crude is refined into:
 19.3 gallons of gasoline
 9.3 gal of diesel fuel/#2 fuel oil
 3.0 gal jet fuel
 2.9 gal #6 fuel oil
 1.5 gal asphalt
 1.2 gal petrochemical feedstock
 1.2 gal LPG
 1.2 gal coke
 .75 gal kerosine
 .63 gal lubestock
 .92 gal wax and "other"

Crudes out of Venzeula (sp?) as usually very asphaltic, while those out of Nigeria are considered "sweet", on and on and on, causing the above percentages to vary...makes burning peanut oil or canola oil look attractive, no??
Swedgemon
GM-90 6/1
Somewhere in Kentucky

Doug

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 06:53:53 PM »
At the end of the process at Pheonix we had coak. It went to land fill because of the high metal content from refining waste oil.

Doug