Author Topic: How about Crude Oil  (Read 14891 times)

Jim Mc

• View Profile
How about Crude Oil
« on: May 02, 2006, 02:02:31 AM »
Even at $70+/barrell, crude oil seems like a bargain.  Anybody have any stories or experience burning it in a Listeroid?  And where could a guy buy some to try?

Doug

Re: How about Crude Oil
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 02:09:42 AM »
Peter Singfield on the gassification list runs his China diesels on filtered crude. Some carbon problems he says but nothing a good scrape can't solve.

Doug

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 02:18:11 AM »
The pre-diesel engines were crude oil engines.....Known as "hot bulb" engines. 

rgroves

• View Profile
    • Flint Hills Diesel
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 04:25:54 AM »

I have a couple photos of a 1920's DeLavergne that runs on straight crude. Bore 10", Stroke 18", 25 hp at 280 rpm.  Flywheels are 4 feet diameter.   Belongs to an old guy who restored it in this little town where I live. Since i can't figure out how to post them to this damn site, I'll gladly send them to anybody who wants to see a great old diesel engine.  And another DeLavergne that's really large (17 inch bore, 28 stroke, two cylinders, and total displacement of 5.8 bushels)  at a museum near here.  Last I saw it running, it was digesting cheap canola from the grocery store.  My wife dragged me away from it, whimpering a little.

Russell
A country boy can survive - Hank Williams Jr.

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 04:43:17 AM »
Russell,
Pls send me any picts you have on the old flywheel machines.They are the neatest thing on the planet. tks binnie
dunhill@sympatico.ca
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 10:44:10 AM »
I'd like to see them too.  I have a Bolinder twin cylinder 50 hp.  It used to power a sawmill. 

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 02:53:43 PM »
Russ and others---

Here's a website we can post pictures to.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Lister06

the user name is   Lister06  and the password is   lister
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

rgroves

• View Profile
    • Flint Hills Diesel
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 04:11:34 PM »
Thanks, Jack, for the webshots link.  I posted 5 images of two Delavergne diesel engines.  These were taken last August at the Mennonite Heritage Museum in Goessel, KS.
They have a large collection of engines and old farm equipment on display, and every year they let collectors bring in even more stuff to show and run.  Hit and miss, diesel, steam, horse drawn -- if it has moving parts and it's old, you'll probably find it there.

The big twin was running on straight canola when I was there.  Every power stroke shook the ground a little. They fire it up late morning, and the smell of burning veggie oil gets people coming first to see the engine and then to buy fried treats at the food booth.

The smaller engine was running on light filtered crude.  It was a real treat watching the operator fire it up, because he sorta climbed onto the flywheel and put a lot of body English into turning it.  it didn't look to me like he was bouncing it against compression like some guys do, just pulling it through with the compression released and then letting inertia do the rest.

Extremely cool.  if any of you have a chance to visit an old engine show, do it and you'll have a great time.

Russell

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 05:28:05 PM »
Russ---

I'll do that!  I've never been to an old engine show but have seen the locals at the fair with their collection of NEAT old stuff.  There's one 5000 cu. in. single tractor that blows perfect BIG smoke rings on every firing stroke.  That draws a crowd if the wind is calm!

WOW!!  great stuff!
Here's the link to the page--

http://community.webshots.com/user/Lister06

Just a warning to everyone-- webshots is serious about no copywrited pics on their site.  They removed pictures of MY gun work that had been published in magazines!!
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

akghound

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 05:39:23 PM »
Here are the pictures of the engine

One Day At A Time
96 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 / Homebuilt WVO conversion
Listeroid Generator on WVO / Living off grid

Firebrick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 02:46:44 AM »
They can run light crude through Cat 3600 engines with a special preheating and filtering system.  No reason that it wouldn't work on a lister.

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 07:50:36 PM »
I don't think there are any technical difficulties that could not be overcome to burn light sweet crude in a Lister.

My primary concern is that, to get the advertised price of $73 per barrel you might have to buy a tanker load.

Also, please note that a "barrel" of oil is 42 gallons or 160 liters, not 55 gal, as is tempting to assume.  So suddenly, you're almost at two bucks a gallon.  In light of that, it's amazing that gasoline is as "cheap" as it is.  Bottled water costs more.

Finest regards,

troy

Doug

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 03:16:33 AM »
US gallon is 3.79l or 128 ounces our gallon is 4.55l or160 ounces, this ment a lot of two cycle engines got the wrong oil mixture before we went metric .....

Doug

Bikerbob

• View Profile
HFO?
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 12:15:09 PM »
How about the marine HFO (Heavy Fuel Oil)?
Like tar when not heated, has to be up to about 150 degrees C (300F) to get the viscosity down for injection. Can the pump and injector handle that?

Why I ask? I can get 1000 gallons (US...) for FREE, if I just pick it up! :o ;D
Thinking about mixing with standard diesel (50/50?).
Just have to make some serious filtering first, just in case...

Any ideas or comments?
Your mission impossible:
Upgrade Low-tech to Hight-tech, adding nothing but No-tech...

rgroves

• View Profile
    • Flint Hills Diesel
Re: HFO?
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 02:37:28 PM »
How about the marine HFO (Heavy Fuel Oil)?
Like tar when not heated, has to be up to about 150 degrees C (300F) to get the viscosity down for injection. Can the pump and injector handle that?

Why I ask? I can get 1000 gallons (US...) for FREE, if I just pick it up! :o ;D
Thinking about mixing with standard diesel (50/50?).
Just have to make some serious filtering first, just in case...

Any ideas or comments?

Worst that happens, if the Lister doesn't like it,  is you have something to burn in a waste oil heater.  Or you could start one of those fly-by-night driveway paving companies.  I hear those guys make a bundle.  ;)

rg