Author Topic: fuel tanks  (Read 15627 times)

DRDEATH

• View Profile
Re: fuel tanks
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 02:23:20 AM »
Just FYI on the beer kegs. At first I couldn't find any. I now have 5 of them. I will hold onto those like gold. never know when I will need a spare. LOL
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 11:54:22 AM »
There is a place locally that does work on refrigerated semi trailers.  He has used diesel tanks for the refrigeration units.  I bought a new tank with a small dent in it.  They are available in several sizes and have upper and lower fittings, a proper filler neck and are DOT approved.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

vtmetro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 03:46:08 AM »
I'd heard that you were supposed to fill a used tank with water before cutting and that you were supposed to leave the water in while working on it, not empty it.

Filling with water and detergent (or steaming) and draining seems useful in removing as much of the combustible residues as possible, but refilling with water would follow, according to what I understood. The point of filling a tank with water was to reduce the combustible internal volume to near zero. No (or little) space for an air/fuel mix, and thus no large internal pressure buildup or explosion possible.

Seems clear that the tank would need an unsealed opening at the top as a steam vent and filler for the water.

If large flame cut holes are needed elsewhere than at the top, alternate filler/vent holes could be pilot drilled with a cordless (not a corded) drill below the water line where needed. These become the filler/vent holes when rotated to the top for cutting the full sized hole with a torch. Prior filler holes would be temporarily plugged to hold water. The tank is always filled with water for any cutting operation and is always worked on at the top, with an adequate sized filler/vent there as well.

Please note, I'm not recommending that anyone do any of this at all, just bringing it up since filling with water and emptying it out was mentioned earlier in the thread, but there was no mention of refilling the tank after. I thought filling with water was standard safety procedure when working on small tanks in any way.

wagspe208

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 05:26:59 AM »
As always there are 2 types. Those that are scared of everything. And those that aren't scared of anything.
Life should be in the middle. I have welded, cut, etc on 100# propane tanks. Prep, prep, prep.
Wags
Novo Type "S" 4hp
Lister 8/1
Engine machinist for 20+ years. Glad to help anyone out.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 10:35:51 PM »
I just wanted to second the semi trailer refer diesel tanks.  I just got another one for a friend.  there are 2 popular sizes, 35 and 50 gallon.  They have gauges, all the fittings, a filler neck, and nice stands.  All approved too.  There are places around the states that deal in trucks and trailers.  Check them out.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 05:28:12 PM »
Two 5 inch gydraulic oil filters....

http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/Dougwp/clone%20stuff/?action=view&current=100_9868.jpg

Capacity 3 litre lol....

( please note I am being funny OK, just a joke guys )
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

beerbellykelly

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »
interesting thread,i have welded propane tanks for use with my foundry,filled and agitated with water,emptied and repeat.then i connected a hose to the tank valve and ran the exhaust from a gasoline motorcycle through it,i was told that the carbon monoxide negates any propensity to explode,i then drilled a 4 inch hole for my filler cap and TIG welded an old motorcycle filler cap in there.

i will admit to wearing full motorcycle leathers and crash helmet and hiding as much of me as i could behind an old car bonnet [hood] when drilling the first hole. ::)
petter AVA2T-BRYCE un

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 12:04:53 AM »
exhaust from a gasoline motorcycle through it,i was told that the carbon monoxide negates any propensity to explode

carbon monoxide BURNS:  (is flammable - in a wide range of concentrations  Lower, 12.5; upper, 74 %)

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/carbonmonoxide/recognition.html