Author Topic: I'm REALLY a 650'er now!!  (Read 4205 times)

Ratman

• View Profile
I'm REALLY a 650'er now!!
« on: April 01, 2010, 10:06:52 AM »
Following on from my original thread here. http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=5174.0
I’ve REALLY joined the 650 RPM club now. I must be the luckiest sod on the planet for I managed to buy a complete Start O Matic just five miles down the road from me.
Pulled the head off to make sure everything was ok and found it to be like new inside. Next off came the crankcase door, again it’s like new in there, removed the splash guard and drained the oil, wiped it all out to reveal nice red paint, refilled with new oil. The original wick fuel filter looked ok so I filled it with diesel and bled the pump.
Then came the big moment, as I’d not checked the electrics out I decided to try for a start up with the handle, despite my best efforts the old bugger refused to fire up, by now I was well and truly knackered.
Time for a bit of a rest from swinging the handle so I coupled up two 12 volt batteries, no smoke or sparks came forth so I thought, here goes and pressed the start button on the wall box, to my absolute amazement the engine began to turn. Flushed with success I applied an electrical load and again the engine began to turn. This time I let it go and after about 30 seconds of turning the engine came to life.
Next day I got the local farmer with his Teleporter to lift the lot of my trailer. With the help of my mate ‘Needenginerunnin’ we rigged up a temporary exhaust suspended from the engine crane, temporary fuel tank suspended in the trees, hose pipe trickling water into the top hose, long electrical lead round the house to the washing machine and off it went, runs like a well oiled sewing machine.
Rob
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=41&u=12048242

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=42&u=12048242

PS: Sorry about those annoying pop ups when you view the photos, I don't know how to stop them.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:11:18 AM by Ratman »
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

contaucreek

• View Profile
Re: I'm REALLY a 650'er now!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 11:27:37 AM »
Nice set-up 'Rat. Sounds to me like you had a bit of air still hiding out in the fuel system. I have to say you guys in the U.K. are blessed. Now having said that I can hardly wait until one of you guys over there wants a nice old Corvette or Camero  ;D ;)
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:44:37 AM »
You limeys are really starting to annoy me, the luckyiest sod on the planet is a bit of an understatement, BTW, what the heck is that floating in the one coffee cup?
BioDiesel Brewer

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:47:42 AM »
You limeys are really starting to annoy me, the luckyiest sod on the planet is a bit of an understatement, BTW, what the heck is that floating in the one coffee cup?

Every day I walk past my SOM and think to myself..............you lucky sod ;D ;D
That "cup of coffee" is actually soup!

Rob
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 09:55:42 AM »
Hello Ratman,
It looks a very nice machine! Original Lister 3.5KVA alternator? What year is it?
 It’s great when they fire up for the first time. I started mine up a couple of days ago, it’s been standing for ten years.
I notice you have two pieces of wood under the control box. Does yours rock around the same as mine? The box is rubber mounted, as you probably know, but I’m not sure how much movement it should have. I’ll investigate when it’s all set up properly.
Is your wiring ok? Part of mine is wired with ‘cotton braid’ so I’ll have to replace it.