Puppeteer

Author Topic: using REDLINE fuel treatment in a ST3  (Read 6206 times)

Peter C.

• View Profile
using REDLINE fuel treatment in a ST3
« on: March 21, 2010, 06:40:06 AM »
Hi-
I'm wondering if using RedLine Fuel treatment is a good thing to do. I've used it in newer diesels but nothing this old. Anbody use it? Do or don't recomend it?
Thanks for the help
Peter

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
Re: using REDLINE fuel treatment in a ST3
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:10:59 AM »
Hello Peter C,
                  Do you have a specific fuel problem that needs treatment? Most of them are designed to make YOU feel good while they lighten your pocket. Your older engine will be more tolerant of slightly poorer fuel as long as you handle it cleanly and change filters  as recommended. The only time I found a benefit from an additive was to combat the effect of algae growth in fuel under conditions of tropical temperatures and humidity, and long periods of standing between use. Even then it was a temporary fix for pump gumming, and not a substitute for fresh clean fuel and clean filters. Just my thoughts from a distance,  Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 03:01:45 PM »
I would say not of any benefit in an old diesel. Stuff like Redline is intended for high speed auto diesels where the fuel system is far more intricate and sensitive to contamination , and also far more difficult to service.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Peter C.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 05:43:41 AM »
Thanks guys for saving me $$$. My lister runs excellent and starts easily....All I want is for it stay that way ;)

somian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 10:28:48 AM »
I have used injector cleaners in automotive diesels before now, and briefly considered trying it on my 8/1, but I don't think it gets hot enough to really do any good. I must remove the injector and clean it sometime; it might reduce the smoke a bit. Any hints as to how to do it best?

Ian

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 03:05:03 PM »
a small amount of gasoline mixed with a few gallons of diesel would probably clean everything out.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Joe K

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 04:43:55 PM »
And some of us are fond of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) even in our VW diesels.  Perhaps a quart in 10 gallons?

Joe

Peter C.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 02:34:30 AM »
And some of us are fond of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) even in our VW diesels.  Perhaps a quart in 10 gallons?

Joe

I was going to ask about that... Does it clean and lub the injection system?

When I started my generator after sitting for about an hour today it puffed blue smoke early in the acceleration cycle. I'm thinking its time for an oil change (got about 260 hrs on this oil) or maybe valve seals? This is the first time I have seen it do this...

Joe K

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 11:46:08 AM »
I was going to ask about that... Does it clean and lub the injection system?

Actually, it used to be the standard first step injector treatment.   The changeover to low sulfer diesel in October 2008 has kind of changed the thinking a bit.   Low sulfer diesel is not considered as lubricating as the old diesel and some fear gauling of injector parts when used with ATF which is quite non-lubricating. 

Actually, a little bit of carbon in a diesel head will actually make the engine run better.   It glows to incandescence and "sets off" the ignition of the next cycle.   But too much can get in the way of proper injection/combustion.   

But ATF is dandy for removing carbon from around injectors.   

I still use it, but don't make a habit of it.    Maybe throw in a quart on 10 gallons once a year.   Now have 7 years and 95K miles on the car and never changed an injector.   

I don't know about your smoke problems but it sounds suspiciously like it might be simply cold oil.   Or a little too viscous oil for start?   You may be getting ring skid until the oil thins out a bit?   Synthetic oil might be a solution since it holds viscosity better: go to a slightly thinner synthetic and as the oil warms it doesn't change viscosity as much.   But some people report problems with synthetic oil since it is more "slippery" than regular oil.   (i.e. some cars when put on a diet of synthetic will suddenly start to burn oil.)

Your mileage may vary.   Test course driven by professional drivers.   Don't try this at home, bla, bla, bla.

Joe