Puppeteer

Author Topic: Waterpot exhaust or muffler for lister  (Read 10639 times)

gorllwyn

• View Profile
Waterpot exhaust or muffler for lister
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:08:38 PM »
Hi,
Does anyone have a sketch of what is sometimes known as a waterpot exhaust or muffler. I have heard that these can be very quiet when filled with the correct quantity of water which you have to tune it with. I have been told about the basic design some while ago but I have forgotten the detail. I know it involves a large dia pipe 12" or more and with quite a thich wall, half inch or more I think. The exhaust goes into this which is filled with water and Im not sure if the gasses go through the water or if the water just deadens the noise and the exhaust just comes out of the top.
Anybody got any ideas?
Thanks
Gwyn

Peter C.

• View Profile
Re: Waterpot exhaust or muffler for lister
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 06:29:38 AM »
Boy- I'm all ears for this one. With summer coming on, I am desperate to quiet my st3. I have to have the doors open and the generator is right out front. I'm going to build a sound wall but I would love to quiet down the exhaust too.
Anybody done this kind of thing if not a water pot?

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 01:27:56 AM »
This is the only water pot or water lift muffler I know of, I've only ever seen them used on boats, but I suppose it could be adapted to a lister.
http://www.practical-sailor.com/marine/waterliftmuffler.pdf
BioDiesel Brewer

Peter C.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 05:48:26 AM »
I like the concept but I realized while I was reading this that I would have to fill the "pot" everytime I used the generator... Non starter for me :(

Whats a good alternative?

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 11:29:55 AM »
This is the only water pot or water lift muffler I know of, I've only ever seen them used on boats, but I suppose it could be adapted to a lister.
http://www.practical-sailor.com/marine/waterliftmuffler.pdf

Thanks for the post Fabricator, what a guy can learn here is amazing!

billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

gorllwyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 11:58:22 AM »
Thanks for the interest,
this something like I was told about but I dont think it is quite the same. I know that the pot should have a drain plug at the bottom and a filling plug on top so I dont think you need to fill it every time Peter. The water has a corrosion inhibitor to stop the inside rusting like on my CS 6-1 so it just needs toping up now and then. I have a feeling that the gas may not pass through the water but it is there to deaden the noise but I could be wrong.
I have the sketch in the lister books for a brick built muffler, has anyone got one of these and do they work well?
Cheers
Gwyn

Peter C.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 04:34:53 PM »
gorllwyn-
Can you post the sketch? I'd be interested in seeing that!
Thanks-
and Thanks fabricator for posting the waterpot info- my manners left me on the previous post...

gorllwyn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 07:47:19 PM »
Hi,
I have problems uploading pics due to my slow dongle connection. I have seen the sketch on here so I am hoping this will work. This is from the lister manuals.
http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=5215.msg63031#msg63031
Hope this helps
Gwyn