Puppeteer

Author Topic: Dating a CS  (Read 22779 times)

Bottleveg

• View Profile
Dating a CS
« on: March 07, 2010, 07:53:33 PM »
Hello all,
        I've got an 8/1 CS start-o-matic with the engine plate No. 14548112 and, from looking at the engine dating pages, my engine was made in 1935. Am I correct?

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: Dating a CS
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:26:35 PM »
Am I correct?

Certainly not.  Didn't make 8/1s until much, much later.  Not even sure if they had uprated the 5/1 designation to 6/1 by then.

Regards, RAB

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 08:30:07 PM »
No your engine is a 1962 engine Lister's only started making the 8/1 engines in 1958.
The engine number breaks down into 3 bits  
The 81 in the middle is the engine type
The first numbers 1454 before the 81 is the engine number built that year
The last numbers after the 81 denotes the year of manufacture when added on to 1950

So your engine number works out to the 1454th  8/1 engine made in 1962

Mick

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 09:02:01 PM »
Thanks for the speedy replies guys. I’m new to Listers and I didn’t think I was right so best to ask the experts. 1962 makes the engine one year younger than me, and it’s in better condition! (Gone are the days when I can run all night.)
It used to power a small coach-building workshop and hasn’t been used for ten years but I don’t think it will take much to get it working again.
Thanks again for the info. If I can learn two new things every day then I should live a long time.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:22:02 PM »
I never dated a Lister or any other engine.

Sure they are attarctive but people around here talk........
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 10:35:39 PM »
Hello all,
        I've got an 8/1 CS start-o-matic with the engine plate No. 14548112 and, from looking at the engine dating pages, my engine was made in 1935. Am I correct?

Where did you go for a date?

A nice insinuated shed, a fine bottle of red diesel with a gallon of rotella on the side?

LOL sorry I could not resist
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 11:33:51 PM »
I know, I know. When I first did a search I put ‘dating a lister’ into Google and guess what I got? Anyway, my Lister don’t complain about my oily hands and I think this sort of dating will work out a dam site cheaper in the long run!
BTW I’m in the UK if anyone wants to come to any Lister ‘swapping’ parties.  ;D
Thanks again for the great forum.

Mark.

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 11:50:31 PM »
While I’ve got some interest, I’ve got another Q.
My 8/1 came with an original (I think) cast iron exhaust damper. The fume goes in the top and then exits from one end of the cylinder. The opposing end could be used but is fitted with a blank.
My Q is this, is anything supposed to be inside the damper?  Mine looks as if it may have had another skin inside but it could just be iron residue from containing water for many years.

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 10:57:25 AM »
That is a genuine Lister residential silencer they cost £300 in the late eighties and they have nothing inside.

Mick

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »
My 8/1 came with an original (I think) cast iron exhaust damper. The fume goes in the top and then exits from one end of the cylinder. The opposing end could be used but is fitted with a blank.
My Q is this, is anything supposed to be inside the damper?  Mine looks as if it may have had another skin inside but it could just be iron residue from containing water for many years.

That is a genuine Lister residential silencer they cost £300 in the late eighties and they have nothing inside.

Mick

Well bottleveg looks like you may posses something that may be of intrest to the group .The damper that is.
According to listeriol anyway.
Don't suppose you could get a pix of that unit up here on this thread?
Cast iron you say, very intersting, what is its dimensions ?

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 12:34:41 PM »

Mick

Thanks Mike, so that’s good news. It just needs cleaning out.
                I think the silencer has slowly filled half way with rainwater from the exhaust end that was outside. What appear to be the remains of an internal section must be iron scale that formed on the perimeter of the water line.
All the connecting pipes are ok except where the steel outlet pipe butts to the silencer.
It just needs an inch cut off and re welding to the flange.

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 12:46:25 PM »

Mick

Well bottleveg looks like you may posses something that may be of intrest to the group .The damper that is.
According to listeriol anyway.
Don't suppose you could get a pix of that unit up here on this thread?
Cast iron you say, very intersting, what is its dimensions ?

Billswan

Hello Bill, yes I will happily post some pics of it.
Photobucket and then transfer to this page? I haven’t posted pics on here before. I’ll see what works.
The box is defiantly cast iron and the exhaust is made from thick steel water/steam pipes.

Mark.

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 01:09:29 PM »

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 01:14:49 PM »
There it is. It’s 20” long and 11” in diameter. On the fourth pic I’ve tried to show what I thought may have been an internal section. The structure of the cast isn’t corroded so I guess what is showing is iron scale that has collected over the years.

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 06:45:13 PM »
Well bottleveg

I see you know your way around when it comes to posting pix. I had quite a time and needed help from other forum members.

The damper is quite a find you have a real collectors item. I wish I had one to use on my 10/1. Have a car muffler on it but but still need an expansion chamber before it. The thump is still somewhat irritating to my wife.

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?