Puppeteer

Author Topic: Just wondering, should I give up.  (Read 11267 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Just wondering, should I give up.
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 12:37:31 PM »

Gary at D.E.S. posts on here now and then and is very quick about answering Emails and easy to talk to on the phone. I suggest you try contacting him about his engines. There are some videos on U tube or somewhere of one of his being inspected but it would seem tha anything learned about that batch should not be applied to the next batch,, no matter who you buy from.

Well there you go Speed turns out you might not be too far from a dealer!

If you were on the east coast I was going to recommend a fellow in Maine but the freight from there would be lots more than from Kansas.

But beware these engines may be fun to work with but cleaning up a dirty poorly assembled and poorly machined roid can tax a person. You might be biting off more than you think.

In other words I vote with cujet! And suggest you reread his post!

Buyer beware :o
Billswan

Thanks Billswan. It's the buyer beware part I'm a bit worried about. I'm not worried too much about tearing a roid apart and cleaning casting sand out and such but the part I'm worried about, and to your point, is getting something that is crap to start with. I am after an engine that's serviceable even if it requires some elbow grease to get there. Does anyone know which roid the Diesel Electric guys are selling? I've read that the twins have problems vs the singles  in the past as well so I might just stick with a twin. As I understand it, the only difference between a 6/1 and 8/1 is the speed they run at (hence the two extra horsepower)? Thanks again guys for the responses.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

overbore

• View Profile
Re: Just wondering, should I give up.
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 05:10:43 PM »
I'm a lister twin owner and occasional off grid-er. My 20/2 is not a great engine, with all sorts of mechanical and design issues. I don't believe all the hype anymore. It's simply a low cost, clunky engine, made with sub standard parts. It's my opinion that the 6/1 is the ideal listeroid. AND, even then, the best of us don't get 40,000 hours between overhauls. 5000 hours between proper and comprehensive overhauls may be a great place to start. (yes, some here get more time, right up to failure at 6000-8000 hours). Therefore I stand by my 5000 hour mark.

I spent a year blueprinting my engine. And it still produces uneven power, flickering lights, does not hold frequency well and I still question it's reliability. Don't get me wrong. It's a really cool engine that I don't mind feeding used motor oil, olive oil. jet fuel, waste veggie oil or diesel fuel. Plus it's fun to play with. My point is simply that a modern engine is a more reliable point to start from. Along with all the advantages of a modern governor and proper speed control and start up/shut down capabilities.

Since you are into aviation, anyone a former airline person.  I am from  Pan Am-  MIA  --  until they went bust---
Cordially, Graham