Author Topic: lister cs diesel with pics in gallery  (Read 12543 times)

glyder61

• View Profile
lister cs diesel with pics in gallery
« on: February 27, 2010, 07:03:27 PM »
hi guys i have just acquired a lister cold start diesel its last purpose was to power a cider press which i also have in my posession.It was last running over ten years ago although i did manage to get it fired up but only with the aid of some easy start.Am i right in thinking i ought to remove head and barrel check bore,piston,rings and valves for condition. Compression seems ok,the barrel does have two cracks caused by frost damage,unsure which way to go whether to source a replacement or i  believe cast can be welded. Engine.no.CS48773 HP5 SPEC 5 1 35 RPM 600 LISTARD VAN DER HORST. Any help with my dilema is much appreciated ps fab site
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:49:11 AM by glyder61 »

contaucreek

• View Profile
Re: lister cs diesel
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Hi Glider. make sure the compression change over valve in the head is screwed in tight onto its seat. It is a simple job to examine the top end of these engines so dont be afraid to get into it. Stay away from the quik start fluids too, their use is generally not recommended in these engines. Usually after 70 years these engines need a quik peak into the top end anyway so grab the tools and get at it  ;)
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:28:43 PM »
Make that Glyder sorry.

Stan

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 10:02:31 PM »
i did manage to get it fired up but only with the aid of some easy start.

Hi Glyder.....welcome....Listers don't like any sort of high octane starting fluid.  It breaks pistons, rings and damages big end con rod bearings.  Go very easy on that stuff, it does nasty things to low compression engines, higher compression diesels it kills.  :(
Stan

glyder61

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:02:23 AM »
Thanks for the info so far from you two Canadian gents, i am from somerset england.what are your thoughts on the frost damage?

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 10:12:45 AM »
Another problem with easystart can be a broken arm or wrist, or worse.  The engine 'detonating' before it will go over TDC can send the starting handle round the wrong way PDQ.

Regarding the cracks in the water jacket:  get them repaired, or repair them, if the Listard cylinder lining is good.  Many running listers have been frost damaged and repaired.

Find the ends of the cracks (crack test methods) and drill a small holes to prevent propagation and weld it, taking all the due care that welding cast iron requires.  Some simply gouge it out along the crack, with an angle grinder, and repair with a suitable filler. On some egines cracks are sealed by the addition of a multi-screwed, gasketed plate to cover the damage.

Of course, they don't get frost damage in Canada - they know it is going to freeze hard and always use antifreeze!

Apart from that, as the others have posted.

Regards, RAB

glyder61

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 11:04:36 AM »
Thanks olly i take heed.Strip down and repairs iminent,binned the easy start

glyder61

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 08:37:43 PM »
Just as a point of interest,the cider press which is of the double screw design has on the top beam on a cast iron plate an inscription,WORKMAN AND SONS SLIMBRIDGE GLOSTERSHIRE AWARDED R.A.S.E. FIRST AND SECOND PRIZES FOR SCIDER MAKING PLANT PLYMOUTH MEETING 1890.    Note the strange spelling for cider i did wonder if the R.A.S.E. Perhaps was an abreviation maybe ROYAL ASSOCIATION SCIDER ENGINEERS any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:46:52 PM by glyder61 »

Stevie D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 10:37:39 PM »
Hi Glyder,

love to see a photo of the cider press?

Steve

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 10:39:41 PM »
R.A.S.E.   Royal Agricultural Society of England.

Ran the 'Royal' show up until last year. Olde spelling of Gloucestershire as well.

Regards, RAB

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 11:55:54 PM »
I have seen many water jackets repaired with JB Weld, even a couple on V8 engines.
BioDiesel Brewer

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 08:21:09 PM »
If the cracks aren’t too bad and you're not looking for a show engine finish, try Chemical Metal. Grind a decent groove into the crack, blow out the dust and stuff, clean very well with a solvent like brake cleaner, begin the repair by filling the ground out groove with CM, then gradually spread CM over a couple of inches either side of the groove. When the repair is finished, fill the system up with water and add something like Radweld.
My dear old Dad repaired the block of an Allis Charmers tractor like that some twenty years ago, and it’s still holding good.
Good luck.

Rob
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

glyder61

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 09:43:20 PM »
Just an accumulative message to all,I will endeavour to get some pics of press etc soon.Thanks Olly for solving the abbreviation,you must have had a great laugh at my theory much appreciated.Rob and Pop's good to hear of your successful solution.Would the JB weld be a trade name for chemical weld? THANK YOU GENTS

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 09:53:41 PM »
They are both epoxy based materials, I would think each is as good as the other.
BioDiesel Brewer

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 11:26:48 AM »
Chemical weld is a good repair alternative. Has anyone here made that repair and how did it hold up ??