Author Topic: Okay, it's an ST2. Now what do I do with it?--New PICS  (Read 25241 times)

Stan

Re: ID this engine for me?--New PICS
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 04:29:16 AM »
Take the measurements of the exhaust outlet, including the bolt holes and post them on here.  Maybe someone will have something that will fit.
Stan

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 06:58:16 PM »
Got some more pics of the internals now.  What's your recommendation here?  When I bought it the guy said it had some oil blow-by.  This seems more significant.

Just need some educated guidance on getting this thing running.  Is a replacement of the pistons, rings, valves and cylinders required here?

Lets say I had a budget of $700 to get this machine up and running (however if my wife asks my budget is $350).  Is it doable?

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 07:01:24 PM »
http://www.diesel-electric.us/engine_kits.htm

I looked here and got a total of $836 for pistons, rings, full gasket set, cylinder liner block, and intake and exhaust valves.

bummer

Justin

• View Profile
Re: Okay, it's an ST2. Now what do I do with it?--New PICS
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 09:21:15 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/AEM-21-201DK-Element-Dryflow-Filter/dp/B0012UJXX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1267736905&sr=8-1

If I got one of these with the right inlet is there any reason to find a correct lister filter housing?

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 09:55:56 PM »
Look at the bright side, at 418 per cylinder you are pretty close to your wife's price of 350. She did mean per cylinder didn't she?
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 07:00:34 PM »
only 4 bolts on the head ? Lister or 'Roid ?

Said Lister right on it and is aircooled.  Do they make roids other than water cooled?

I think it's a 1979 production.

I poured some marvel mystery oil in there before work this morning to hopefully free up the pistons.  I'll let it soak a couple days and try to finish up the Landcruiser knuckle job while it soaks. 

Still researching what else needs to be checked and how to do it.  Basically it's a pass/fail deal.  If I can get it repaired and running well then I'll get going on it.  I don't want to order pistons, cylinders and rings and then find out I need a few hundred in bearings.

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 04:27:12 PM »

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 05:55:20 AM »
VERY doable Justin.

When you get done with it, you'll have something that will outlive you if you take care of it.

Not much else on the market can get close to that engine from a longevity standpoint.

Bummer that someone let water get into it.  But, it's nothing that can't be fixed.

Stick with it!

Regards,

Steve

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 02:29:14 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement Steve.  I sent pics to my buddy who works for CAT.  I'll just post his response if ya'll would like to comment or add anything.

"Couple things I noticed from these pictures. The upper connecting rod bearings show a lot of wear, which is typical for a high hour engine. This thing also has signs that it has been run low on oil and/or had low quality oil run thru it. I don't know how old this thing is but, this may be typical of older single weight oil without a lot of detergents/dispersants. I can't tell but the camshaft looks like it has some material pull-out/pitting. I think you may be able to reuse this part, but really need to see what the lifter look like when you get them out of the engine. One of the pictures of the crankshaft looks like one of the rod bearings is still on the crank. Did this bearing come off? The crankshaft looks like it can be polished, will probably need to plasti-gauge it when you put it back together. When you go to pull the injector pumps out and the timing advance/rack make sure to take a lot of pictures, and notes on how it goes back together. Looks like it can be rebuilt and not a boat anchor. How easy is it to get parts for these? Do the liners come out of the cylinder jugs? Keep me up to date on how it is going."

I imagine that reinstalling the cam and crankshaft is more technically complex than I've messed with before.  What's involved with polishing the crank and dealing with pitting on the cam.  I don't know what pull-out means in this useage.  Is it normal for the underside of the pistons to look immaculate after removal?  They looked brand new especially compared to the mess on the top.

I need to find some place to take the pistons/cylinders to have em separated.  How likely is it that they are still salvageable?

http://picasaweb.google.com/jb740i/AfterRemovingCylinder1?authkey=Gv1sRgCKP1zJvtxa3OyAE&feat=directlink

Here's the most recent photos that I took. 

Justin

• View Profile
Re: Okay, it's an ST2 16/2. Now what do I do with it?--New PICS
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 04:50:28 PM »
bump   ;D

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 04:35:29 AM »
Hi Justin,

Well, it looks like you're making progress!

I believe the cylinders are one piece on this engine (liners are not removable). 

I would suggest you call Gary at Diesel Electric.  He's got lots of these engines around and knows about them.

He carries both original Lister parts as well as import replacements.  He also might have decent used piston and cylinders if you ask.

He will likely be your most cost effective parts source.

http://www.diesel-electric.us/products.htm

Good luck,

Steve

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 09:34:54 AM »
How much did you pay for this ?
I ask because an ST2 in the UK needing that much work would be scrap , just not viable. Would it not be a better idea to find another engine in better condition , they are quite common.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

quickies

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 03:44:10 PM »
If you need the gasket set look at my site

www.e-gaskets.co.uk

Geoff

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 05:03:23 PM »
How much did you pay for this ?
I ask because an ST2 in the UK needing that much work would be scrap , just not viable. Would it not be a better idea to find another engine in better condition , they are quite common.

Hi,

That's kinda what I was trying to figure out from this thread that seemed to have died off.  I knew of listers a little bit before buying this one off of craigslist for $450.  He said it had some oil blowby and didn't mention that the pistons were siezed.  I've learned a great deal about this one since buying it but am not really sure still as to what parts will need completely replaced besides the piston, rings, cylinders and crank bushings. 

Please let me know if you see any other work that would be necessary.

I'm still kind of torn as far as what to do with it at this point.  Put it back together and sell it to someone else with more equipment to deal with the issues?  Maybe they can refurbish whereas I would have to replace parts.

Replace the parts that are needed and have an engine that will outlast me using it as an emergency generator for power outages?  Probably $1000 bucks to do it as far as I can tell.

While they seem to be widely available in the UK, Listers are not so common in the US.  And listeroids are going for insane amounts of money sometimes.