Puppeteer

Author Topic: Okay, it's an ST2. Now what do I do with it?--New PICS  (Read 25242 times)

Justin

• View Profile
Okay, it's an ST2. Now what do I do with it?--New PICS
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:31:39 PM »

He said the model number is a 16st  2a29 that runs at 1800rpm and is 16hp.

Despite reading this site a bunch and doing some searching I can't really find out more info on it.    This is a listeroid despite it saying lister on the top of the engine?

I'm gonna go look at it tonight  and will probably have to figure out some way to get it out of my parent's truck tomorrow.

Any info is appreciated.  I'll let ya know what I find out and if I don't buy it then I'll put up the contact info on it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:01:47 AM by Justin »

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
Re: ID this engine for me?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:03:15 PM »
Hi Justin, in the first photo you posted you can see a black printed aluminum engine ID plate just to the right of center in the photo, it's directly above the oil filler cap.
You can use the information on that plate to identify the engine. here is a link that will explain what all the numbers & letters mean.   http://www.blueridgediesel.com/serialnolist.htm#LISTER-PETTER
Your engine is a real Lister, not a listeroid. the listeroids are copies of the CS series of engines, they are what this site is mostly about.
You have a pretty nice air cooled lister there, the air cooled ones are a little noisy but it should serve you well.

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 04:15:17 PM »
Thanks Scott.  I picked it up last night along with the generator head that had been attached to it.  He said the gen head was a 7kw but I haven't had a chance to look it over yet.

I don't have a hoist so I'll either be trying to rig up some way to get this outta the truck or just let it ride in the back of the truck a while till my father in law brings his tractor down to push on some pine tree stumps.

Said the engine was in a shrimp boat and that it has some oil blowby.  Also said that they hadn't run it with an air filter installed.  So that's unfortunate.

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 04:40:49 PM »
Things to add.

The serial number plate says Lister - Blackstone Columbia, S.A.  It also has a prefix of CL so the data plate says CL16st2a29.  That doesn't seem to line up with the stuff on the link you posted.

The base of the machine says 202-80014

And it's got an electric starter.

It's only got 1 flywheel.  Will it run with only one?

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:28:02 PM »
This is ST2 lister and this is 1800 rpm and designed to have one flywheel acting as blower to cool the heads/cylinders.  This is ST2 16/2.

This particular engine have fuel lines manifold prone to cracking and leak fuel into oil IIRC.  Might be good idea to build a better fuel manifold.

Cheers, Wizard
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:29:35 PM by Wizard »

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 03:55:54 AM »
Thanks wizard.  The variations between the models is still overwhelming me a bit but I'll get it all figured out eventually. 

I'm currently looking for info/manuals on this engine but the choices are baffling when I'm searching.  For instance, in this other thread he's also got a 16/2 but the style and features are completely different.  Is that because his is a Cs and mine is a ST2?    http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=3453.15

Some listings for manuals refer to each manual covering a different series like A, B, C, D...L, M........does the ST2 fall under one of those categories?

http://www.stationaryenginebooks.co.uk/lister_instruct.htm

When looking for parts will I need to stick solely to those for an ST2 or soley for a 16/2 or neither since either choice has more options?  Best source for em?

Stan

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:42:11 PM »
If it's got ST2 in the serial number, it's an ST2.  Its not a CS or an A or anything else.  Waay different.
Stan

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 03:12:14 AM »
Fair enough stan.  Just trying to figure out what keywords work when searching.  So I can't go with 16/2 since they pretty much just applies to the Cs?  I'll stick with searching for st2.

Found a manual online today at work but don't have the link at home.  It was about 300 pages and covered version 1, 2 and 3.  Also seemed to cover the options and various builds (versions?) of each model.  I didn't see if it would be able to break down the model number I have and tell me which one it would be.  I searched the pdf for "cl" and got not results so I don't know what the prefix signifies.

Stan

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 03:27:03 AM »
You're on the right track....Be patient.....It's taken me over a year so far and I'm just about ready to make first smoke on my CS 6/1.
Stan

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 03:30:33 AM »
Patience I've got.  The difficulty finding answers to questions is a little frustating sometimes but no worries.  My other big project is a '76 Landcruiser.  It's easy to find out answers on that thing.  They didn't change it for years and years.  And there certainly weren't as many variations on the theme as there is with these engines.

Good luck on yours.  I'll try to post up photos soon.

Oh, tried hitting the starter with some juice last night.  Got it to turn but not very quickly.  No markings on it anywhere but I'm guessing it's a 24v???  Didn't expect that.

Stan

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 03:34:26 AM »
All the CS 6/1 and CS 12/2 S(start, O (o) M (matics) have motor coils in the generator that take 24 volts.  ???
Stan

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 06:32:36 PM »
All the CS 6/1 and CS 12/2 S(start, O (o) M (matics) have motor coils in the generator that take 24 volts.  ???
Stan

I don't know what that means.

ST2 SERIES     88-86                                   CLOCKWISE 24V DR     24     37MT  1993741  AHSDR0130
ST2 SERIES    73-ON    1/ 2 / 3 CYL. DSL    LUCAS SYSTEM    LU    12    M45      26278    AHSLU0023

I found a chart here listing a couple starters.  Then read someplace else that all US engines are counterclockwise.  So maybe that means it's more likely a 12v and that my battery was just low.

I think I'll take the starter into autozone and have them check it.

I printed out 300 pages of parts manual today.  Doesn't explain how to tell which build your engine is despite referring to all the parts by their respective builds.

Can't find a source to print out the workshop manual though.  Is there one available online?  I put in a low bid on ebay.uk

Last night I removed the intake and exhaust manifolds and the cover that goes around that side of the engine.  Will need to make a flange to connect a muffler to the exhaust manifold at some point and also fix a gap in the intake pipe inlet.  Both were pretty full of crud.  Seems like some of the bolts and screws are metric, some are SAE and some are other?  Or am I completely wrong and they are all british fasteners?

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 06:59:09 PM »
Okay, I found a manual relating to lister marine diesel engines.  It's officially the Marine engines Operators handbook.

http://www.motoren.ath.cx/

Found it right there.  Click on lister in the left hand frame and there are multiple manuals to choose from. 

No workshop manual though.  The operators handbook has a lot of info that's new to me though.

Stan

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 10:44:05 PM »
Ok Justin...I was referring to the generator/starter combination found on the SOM machines usually CS (means cold start) which don't refer to your machine.  The later Listers had different builds for different years while the older CS machines all tend to be similar.
Stan

Justin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 03:18:43 AM »
Here's some new pictures.  Feel free to shout out any observations you think of while you're viewing.  There's little you could say that I would actually know already. 

Is there any kind of non-lister flange that will fit here to be able to attach an exhaust system in the future?  Gotta make one?

What happened to the other lever?  There is just a rubber plug in place.