Author Topic: lister engineer in Devon?  (Read 2856 times)

dave budd

• View Profile
lister engineer in Devon?
« on: February 26, 2010, 11:43:35 AM »
Hi,

I'm new hear and I'm glad to have found this forum for sure! I set up my workshop off-grid a couple of years ago and part of my power comes from an ST2 (1979, so still young) Lister with a Brush genny, all one unit. Trouble is that it was one of those "works fine, never had any trouble" purchases from Ebay  ::)

Needless to say, it has it's troubles. Compression issues (needs Easy start spray to get it going), oil leak, no speed control (broken governor?) and the power it puts out isn't right (tools run fast, htough that could be the dodgy sparky who wired it up for me). Unfortunately, when it comes to engines and things that can go boom (or electrocute me) I'm not very handy. I expect once I get to grips with it I should be OK maintaining the thing, but I really need somebody to get it straight first  ;) 

So, I'm wondering if anybody knows of an engineer in/near Mid Devon who could come and fix/service my old girl?

any suggestions would be VERY much appreciated!

thanks

dave

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: lister engineer in Devon?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 01:28:16 PM »
if your tools are running fast, the engine/gen are running over speed
check your rpm, or hz

if it is running much more than perhaps 1525 or so without load, (50hz) or 1840 (60hz)
you probably need to adjust the governor linkage, and i am not sure how that is done on your setup
but it should be an easy fix.

as for low compression, could be leaking valves, or leaking piston rings?

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: lister engineer in Devon?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 06:32:33 PM »
It will depend on the type of motor on those tools.  Induction or slip-ring motors will be hertz dependent and armature wound commutator motors will be voltage dependent.

Regards, RAB