Author Topic: Injection Pump  (Read 15011 times)

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
Re: Injection Pump
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 01:47:26 PM »
Hello Dieselman,
                     Had problems with pumps on a later aircooled lister,and it could appply to yours also. there is a fibre seal ring in the pump body under the delivery valve body and it retains the pump element in the body. Over tightening will crack it and cause the high pressure fuel to leak back into the body, so that little or none is delivered.
I talked a helpful injection shop into selling me some replacement seals instead of a pump recon, and it all works fine now. Inspect the seal closely, and if you replace it, tighten down carefully till it works correctly.  Hope this helps,  Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

dieselman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 08:50:58 PM »
The seal looks like it has overtightened,  but I had no replacement. 

I have ordered a new pump.  I realize the discharge is small... but it was almost non-existent.

I will clear this hurdle, it is just a little (no,a lot) frustrating.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to crank it for 2-3 minutes to se if there are any results.

Where did you find that seal?  Any part numbers?

Thx, Jim

1995 F350 7.3L Diesel
8.3 ISC Cummins
14/1 Lovson (in progress)

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 10:14:06 PM »
Dieselman,

I must be missing something.  Seems to pump OK until I install the metering valve and spring.

Do you mean the delivery valve?  The symptoms you describe might simply be a faulty delivery valve.

How do you know it pumps OK without the delivery valve fitted?  Half the time it will be spilling, not pumping!

Regards, RAB

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 11:33:43 AM »
Hi Dieselman,
                 My seal problem was with smaller pumps of similar design on later aircooled Listers, so can not quote you any useful part numbers, but I found a helpful guy on the service desk of one of our major injection service shops here in West Australia. He said the seals were not normally sold seperately, but he understood my problem, and went to their service shop and got them, and mailed them out, for something like a dollar each! Quote the pump model and explain your problem, and you might just be that lucky.You can only try.
         If you have trouble removing the damaged seal without stripping the pump completely, find a neat fitting rod,(pin punch etc) , insert it in the delivery valve seat and work it to and fro sideways till it frees up and can be removed. Flush out any fragments of the old seal before fitting new one. Use two spanners, (one to hold the valve body) when fitting or removing the injector line, to avoid disturbing the seal once it is seated correctly. Hope this helps,  Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

dieselman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »
Oliver90owner:

I guess I was using the wrong terminology.  With the spring an valve top removed and all other parts in place, it seemed to pump OK.

When the spring and valve top are replaced the pumped fuel is almost non existant.

Combuster: 

I'll give a shot.  The new pump is on the way, and I have a long list of priorities, so this one always seems to get pushed way back.
Going on 3 years now... Just wish I could get it to fire to rejuvinate my spirits.

Thx,Jim

1995 F350 7.3L Diesel
8.3 ISC Cummins

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 10:51:19 PM »
With the spring an valve top removed and all other parts in place, it seemed to pump OK.

How do you mean it seemed to pump OK  when the delivery valve was removed?  That is how you time the pump; by finding the point where the fuel stops running straight through the pumphead?   So it will give a large continuous gravity output if left at the free flow position, with no actual pumping.

Regards, RAB

dieselman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 07:37:43 PM »
As the plunger moved up during cranking there was a noticable increase in discshrge from the pump.  I realize this is probably not very significant but thought it should be mentioned anyway.

Jim
1995 F350 7.3L Diesel
8.3 ISC Cummins