Puppeteer

Author Topic: DIY Pellet Mill anyone?  (Read 15793 times)

Ironworks

• View Profile
DIY Pellet Mill anyone?
« on: February 13, 2010, 08:42:17 PM »
I just wondered if anyone is making their own pellets for their pellet stoves?  I'm interested in it.

Tijean

• View Profile
Re: DIY Pellet Mill anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:59:46 PM »
Have thought about it. Know of a little mill that just wastes its sawdust. Here is a link that you may have already, but some good info and rough idea on small manufactured units. I wonder how long a roller and die set lasts?

http://www.pelletpros.com/index.html
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 11:12:50 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV6ShmGQ4HM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djaSTzDKb3k

A smart handy fellow can come up with all kinds of ways to precess wood. I wood not limit myself to pellats
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »
I was interested in a pellet mill at one time myself.  I did a lot of research, even talked to a guy who owns one (but sadly didn't get a chance to see it running as his power source was kaput at the time).

His main comment was "you'd get real old real fast watching the pellets trickle out of the spout).  Evidently is took about 4 hours to produce one bag (40lb) of pellets.  Not what I was wanting.  :(
Stan

btw...I'm paying about $5 for a 40 lb bag delivered to my door.  I burn just over 2 tons (~125 bags per year) to produce about 85% of the heat required to heat my house.  Obviously when I'm away, the gas furnace (horrible thing) takes over.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:50:54 PM by Stan »

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 05:04:41 PM »
If you look at the specs on some of the small electric motor units you will see that the cost of electricity is considerable. If you have uniform size sawdust that is costing you to dispose of, it might be worthwhile but I dont think it would be a terrific retirement scheme.
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

Stan

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 03:56:36 PM »
The big commercial machines (my good friend's son manages a big plant up in Fox Creek BC) have it down to a real science.  The wood shavings (sawdust is a poor substitute) must be exactly the right moisture content, they must go through the dies at the right speed or they will either not adhere well, or they will heat up the dies and scorch etc. etc.

My 2 tons this year are quite scorched so they were obviously going through too slowly.

They guy who had a small machine complained that most of his time was spent

1. setting up,
2. getting everything running right,
3. shutting down to unclog the hopper
4. if die is free goto 6
5. shutting down to unclog the die
6. goto #1

It isn't as simple a procedure as it looks, but, that being said, if you have the time, and you are running a Lister on free WVO and are just doing it for your own fuel, then it might pay.
Stan