Puppeteer

Author Topic: Finally joined the club  (Read 14978 times)

Stan

Re: Finally joined the club
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 02:59:15 AM »
Ratman, maybe someone on here can post the Gas Engine Magazine article of the big Stickney hit and miss engine that spent a few decades under a river. It was on a riverbank and fell in one day and someone had the foresight to tie a steel cable to it and lots of years later they dug it out. It was quite a mess....beyond anything most seasoned engine restorers would attempt to resurect.You know how this story is going to end. The engine runs and is shown at shows in the U.S.

Time is on your side. You have the castings (thats the biggy) So pour a drink, pull a chair up to Norman in the shop and just enjoy having it for a little while, theres no race.

I read about that!  It was deeply buried in the mud right beside a river.  Just a big hunk o'rust!
Stan

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 10:37:44 AM »
Thanks everyone for your ideas and support. I can assure you I have not given up, and as you say contaucreek, time is on my side.
One way or another.......Norman will run ;D

Rob 
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 11:24:58 AM »
 RCA, should that not read RUM and Coke ??  ;D Just wondering !   

P.S. I should have the 16 at Cookstown this year, hopefully see you there !
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Stevie D

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 08:34:24 PM »
evening all

and hello steve, i see your new to the forum.
how are you getting on with the rebuild of your engine?

Ooopppss! :-[ sorry stevie D, forgot to say welcome.......................Welcome stevie D

Cheers Folks :)

Nothing free'd up yet after a week - a young family keep my out of the garage, so not too much done yet, long term project here too, at least I can start it's cousin...

Sorry to highjack your thread Rob

Steve

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »
You've not hyjacked the thread at all Steve, keep it coming. More the better eh!!

If I get this right, here's a photo of what faced us upon removing the valve cover.

And this what it looked like after removing all the gunge.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 10:44:08 PM »
I don't see anything to be afraid of. Just going to take some doing  :P
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Stan

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 03:11:25 AM »
Ah ha!  Is that red paint I see on the back of what looks like a radiator pulley?
Stan

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
Ah ha!  Is that red paint I see on the back of what looks like a radiator pulley?
Stan

It is red paint on the fan pulley Stan, only one fan blade remains and the radiator is missing from the engine.

Rob

Stan

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Yup...Penelope had and now has red paint on her fan and pulley, sort of the Lister version of lipstick I guess  :-[
Stan

Stevie D

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 10:36:44 PM »
Ratman - mine isn't much different - both engines were missing the valve covers :o Got some off ebay though - indian copies but fine for what I want.

;D Had a good day today - 3 -4 hours to myself, inspired by a telephone conversation with a fellow cs owner on the other end / side of the country yesterday & needing my trailer emptied lol...

Got the siezed engines cylinder bore off with a few knocks with a small sledge hammer, and a crow bar.  Rings a mess, and bottom end was siezed.  Managed to get all the sludge & water out of the sump. A few hours with some penetrating oil & parifin some rocking back & forth with a big bit of timber as a lever and things started to loosen  ;D

Now spins over nice, even the cam followers ar lifting and falling by themselves.  Bit of a tight spot on the big end so now that I can get to the castle nuts I'll pull that and have a look.  The bore polished up nice too, just to clean up the piiiston and see what the rings are like.

Covers are off the gib keys and the oil in place there, I'll oil them every night for the next week or two and see if they will shift to let me strip the main bearings.

I got the head off the 'good' engine too, nice and clean, no broken rings, but evididence of the valves striking the top of the piston, didn't check what the tappets were like before I started.  I'll get the oil drained off and check out the sump etc later in the week.

Need a replacement som flywheel / pulley as one has a crack in it  :-[.  Need a replacement injector assy as well, that wa missing, presumably how all the water got into the siezed engine in the first place  ::)

At least I can get them lifted off the trailer now.

I'll probably end up with both engines running again eventually.

Steve

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 08:08:37 PM »
Just an update on my situation, Norman is shelved for the time being, but I will have him running if God leaves me on the planet long enough. I have sourced a supply of genuine used parts and eventually a rebuild will take place.
Watch this space.
Good luck with yours Stevie D 8) 8)........Where are you located?? PM me if you prefer.

Rob

Stevie D

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 02:15:10 PM »
Good luck with yours Stevie D 8) 8)........Where are you located?? PM me if you prefer.

Rob

I'm accross the little pond on the Emerald Isle - Spend most of my time near bealfast on the east coast and the remainder in the Irish midlands at our off grid 30 acre smallholding - hence the cs!

Steve  ;)