Author Topic: Not Lister Related  (Read 4306 times)

ixtow

• View Profile
Not Lister Related
« on: April 28, 2006, 05:58:53 PM »
I'm posting this here, even tho it's automotive, cuz ya'll seem like you've probably tinkered with a few cars in your day too.

1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.

I keeps overheating, but just barely.  If I rev up the engine, it cools off.....

I checked coolant level.  Peachy, it's full.

I took apart the water pump, becasue it's really easy to do on this car, and is easy to get to.  No problems there, spins free and smooth.

I started it up, and the coolant line coming out of the engine never gets warm.  I'm thinking thermostat (which I would normally check before water pump), but I can't get to the bastard without tearing the top half of the engine apart.

But, I noticed something else.  As the temp gauge is approaching "oh shit," the cooling fans on the radioator never turn on.  NEVER.  Do they have a seperate temp sensor on the hot side (maybe mounted to the radiator) that is not tripping because the coolant isn't moving??  If so, anomoly explained.  Dig for the Thermostat.  Or, am I looking at a bigger/different problem than the thermostat?

I'm hesitant to do as much work as is needed to reach the thermostat, just to discover that it's not the problem.  Is there soemthing 'special' that I don't know about this system?

I'm not familiar with this vehicle, it's only been in my care for a few weeks.  Anyone got experience with this system?  Input is appreciated.

Halfnuts

• View Profile
Re: Not Lister Related
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 07:29:15 PM »
Ixtow,

Your thermostat isn't opening.  Too bad it's in a hard place to access, but that's most definitely it.

Halfnuts

ixtow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 07:46:13 PM »
I assumed as much.  The fans not turning on seemed kinda odd tho.

Thanks, time to spend the next 12 hours unbolting unrelated fuel system crap so I can get to it...

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 08:25:29 PM »
You always find what you're looking for in the last place you look. 

T'stats are common problems.  They seem to either stick open or closed.  So usually car makers are careful to provide access for their eventual replacement.  If you look around carefully, you might find that there's just room to sneak in a socket wrench on a long extension or crank handle down through all the spaghetti.

Then again, you might have something like a Ford Expedition that they bill 8 hours time on just to change the sparkplugs.  The back pair are so deep behind the firewall, you just about need an anorexic NBA basketball player to reach them. 

That's why I drive old cars.  I be wishin' I had my old reliable '79 Diesel Rabbit with the extra tank just now . . .

Rotsaruck!

Halfnuts
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 08:27:25 PM by Halfnuts »

ixtow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 01:15:42 AM »
Whew, finally!

Doug

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 01:52:59 AM »
I had an 82 diesel "Wabbit", my feet got wet when it rained and the wiring was all messed up from moister dripping inside the fire wall, the back window was always slimy from oil, it was hard to start in winter, it was cold.

In no was was it anything like my TDI Jetta.

I miss it a little nice car to work on as long as it wasn't the timing belt you were trying to change.

Doug

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 04:17:16 AM »
Oh yeah, Ixtow, I forgot to mention, if it isn't obvious that the t'stat's toast, check it.  Place it in a pan of cold water on the stove.  Make sure you use your wife/girlfriend/S.O.'s BEST pan, because YOU'RE WORTH IT!  Light a fire under it and watch to see whether it opens or not.  If it does, throw it away anyway because you're already there and t-stats are cheap.  If it doesn't open, that was your problem.  Either way, replace it.  Did I say t'stats are cheap?

Halfnuts

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 04:31:24 AM »
I really liked my '79.  Put 180,000 miles on it.  Drove it everywhere 'cause it was so cheap, cheaper than my all my old Honda motorcycles. 

However while the engine and tranny were wonderful, the body sucked.  Cheap tin can, though I T-boned a drunk driver at 45 MPH with my brakes locked and drove it home.  Seatbelt broke two of my floating ribs and I bent the steering wheel with my hands.  Front end accordioned right back to the A pillar, so I've got to say the Germans designed it correctly from that standpoint.  $2500 later, it was fixed and I continued to drive it.  I'd like to have another diesel but in Gali-fornia they're verboten unless you can find one with over 7500 miles and bring it in as a used car. 

Halfnuts

ixtow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 04:18:21 AM »
I'd like to have another diesel but in Gali-fornia they're verboten unless you can find one with over 7500 miles and bring it in as a used car.

Oh gawd, you're going to have to tell me about this one...  I love hearing stories about Kalifornia Laws...  It's always a hoot!  :-P