Author Topic: Listeroids and India ship breaking  (Read 4229 times)

rpg52

• View Profile
Listeroids and India ship breaking
« on: April 23, 2006, 11:54:22 PM »
I was thinking the other day (dangerous, I know), about the reported proximity of the various factories that make Listeroids and the Indian ship breaking that occurs on the west coast of India.  Seems likely that a lot of that scrap from the ships is turned into Listeroids and sent around the world.

I don't have any particular comment about it, other than it seems likely that old ships are being turned into Listeroids.  Interesting if nothing else.  I've been told that the ships are cranked up to full speed, and run up on the beach.  The Indians then cut them apart and haul off the scrap.  The beach and the ocean, of course, recieves all the stuff that no one wants, asbestos, oils, and toxics, etc..  Doesn't sound like a part of the world that would be pleasant to visit IMHO. :P
Such is the global market.
Ray
Here is an official Indian govt. comment on the subject:  http://www.ips.org/Critical/Enviroment/Environ/env2208024.htm
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

Stan

Re: Listeroids and India ship breaking
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 12:09:12 AM »
There was a show on TV recently documenting the Indian shippbreaking industry and it's dangers to the workers.  They also mentioned the whole industry is in danger of folding because the Chinese are buying up all the scrap metal in the world.  I"m sure a lot of broken Listers ended up in a Chinese furnace.

Stan

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 12:40:18 AM »
Yes;
My brother was an engineer on a perfectly good tanker that was run up on the beach, then shut down. It was not equipped with the new double bottoms that are required.
You have to understand the relative view on 'danger to the workers' and realize the injury and death rate was fictitious. Those people work there because it's good money. They frequently live in shanty towns and send the money home to the family. The men working in town charging the furnaces with the scrap (to make rebar for building construction) don't make enough money to meet thier calorific food requirements.
The pollution is horrible. The bunker sludge, old paint, oil etc are spread on the beach and burned. Many of the ship's parts are offered on the internet. Look up something generic like Pielstik PC2 or Sulzer.
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 12:44:34 AM »
Here is another link, if you have the patience to read it, it describes the ship breakers in the US, in India and the competition from Bangladesh and elsewhere, as well as the environmental problems and the Indian workers.  Very interesting.  Off the subject, but military ships in the James River are being kept afloat at about $20,000/year because the scrap value isn't enough to pay for scrapping them.  It's a strange world we live in.
Ray

http://www.wesjones.com/shipbreakers.htm
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 12:52:35 AM »
Yes;
I read that when it came out (2000). Actually a pretty good article. It had some pictures too. The Alang coastal strip was pretty wild looking. You can imagine a more or less lawless place where you work and live on your wits, without labor unions, contracts, safety regulations, police, etc. Some people thrive in that environment. Others, well...
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 01:54:54 AM »
I like the end of the first paragraph:  "...Gujarat, on India's far-western shore."  As if there is a near-western shore. 

Halfnuts

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 04:33:36 PM »
That whole area of the Indian coast is unfriendly to most life.  The major oil fields are just off shore there because the whole area 'leaks' oil and gas at a prodigious rate.  The fields are highly pressurized and blow-outs are common when a drill intercepts weak rock.  Google Earth has had some amazing overlays of oil slicks off the coast.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.